“Nice hotel-shame about the shower!”

Grand Sunset Angkor Hotel
Ranked #232 of 357 Hotels in Siem Reap
glasgow, scotland
“Nice hotel-shame about the shower!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed here for three days while visiting the temples. It is a nice hotel but the problems with water supply do need fixing. We were on the third floor and although the bathroom was spacious and modern with a rainfall shower, I did not manage to get a proper shower at all- in fact once I barely managed to get my hair washed and rinsed before the (cold!) water dried up. We did complain to reception and a plumber did come promptly but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. It was a pity because otherwise we enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly, the breakfast was good and varied and served in a nice sunny area (there was the option of being outside), the beds were huge and very comfortable and the rooms were clean. They have a small spa which is excellent value- a foot massage was just what I needed after days of tramping around in the heat. All in all, very good but please get something done about the showers

Room Tip: Try for a lower floor-perhaps the water supply is better there.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Das Hotel liegt etwas außerhalb des Zentrums, aber zu Fuß ist man in 10 Minuten in der City.
Das Zimmer war sauber und stilvoll eingerichtet. Die Klimaanlage tat ihren Dienst leise und zufriedenstellend. Das Bad war sauber und besaß eine angenehme Größe.
Das Hotel verfügt über einen Swimming Pool und einen großen Spa-Bereich. Dort genoss ich kurz vor dem Abflug noch eine Fußreflexzonenmassage und die war grandios - sehr entspannend und sehr angenehm. Man fragte mich sogar im Vorfeld, ob es okay wäre, wenn ein Mann diese Massage durchführen würde, was für mich persönlich keinen Unterschied macht. Der Spa-Bereich war sauber und machte einen professionellen und empfehlenswerten Eindruck.
Das Frühstücksbüffet war reichhaltig und lecker.
Das Personal war freundlich und hilfsbereit. Wegen unserer sehr frühen Abreise zu einer Tour, war das Frühstück auch mehr als pünktlich fertig und wir konnten noch ausgiebig frühstücken. Dank des grandiosen Mitarbeiters an der Rezeption, konnte ich nach einer halben Stunde Inkompatibilität zwischen Computer mit meiner deutscher Mail-Adresse und Rail&Fly-Homepage und längerem Hin-und-Her endlich mein Rail&Fly-Tickets in der Hand halten und hatte mir dieses Prozedere bei Ankunft in D nach 20 Stunden Flug gespart. Bei solchen Aktionen trennt sich die Spreu vom Weizen.

The Hotel is placed a little bit far out the centre but within 10 minutes by foot you are in the centre.
The room was clean and stylish furnished. Air condition was quiet and worked well. The bathroom was clean and the size was comfortable.
There are also a swimming pool and a wonderful spa area. I enjoyed a foot reflexology massage and it was brilliant - really relaxing and comfortable. At first I was asked if it’s okay when a man will do the massage - I don’t care as long as the massage is grand. Spa area was clean and it looks professional and recommendable.
Staff was friendly and helpful. They started to prepare the complimentary international breakfast buffet a little bit earlier because we went on tour quite early and because of this we could enjoy our breakfast. The most friendly person works at the desk. I’ve tried to get and print my Rail&Fly-ticket but the old computer didn’t like my German mail address and the printer doesn’t like to work at all. This man helped me and after half an hour I got my ticket - I was really happy and thankful. That’s what counts.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Elena E
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I traveled as part of a group and this was our final hotel stay. As you drive into the town of Siem Reap you notice that there are plenty of high-end hotels available. I don't know the rates for Casa Angkor Hotel but I found it to be a moderate hotel straddling the line between a cheaper option in the area and right at the cusp of a luxurious "looking" hotel.

Pros: #1 The hotel staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. #2 The front desk staff helped by arranging taxis to the airport for our departing flights. We paid the hotel directly for the service, which I preferred. #3 The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from Pub Street and all of the other streets with night markets. I appreciated that it was far enough to get away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds but yet close enough that paying for transportation wasn't required. #4 I thought their breakfast and lunch buffets were pretty good. They have Asian and Western options, not to mention an egg station where a chef from the kitchen prepares an omelet to your specifications. #5 There is an absolutely beautiful pool outside.

Cons: #1 There was lots of wood between the shutters and doors so my room was pretty dark. At one point I wanted to relax in my room and let in some light. I had to unlatch the shutters from inside then step outside to the balcony and swing the shutters open. It was a process, just as much as closing the shutters was a process. #2 There is apparently a modern wing attached to the hotel. I stayed in the older wing, which meant there was no elevator nearby. If you didn't want to walk the stairs you would be required to take a longer walk. #3 While my friend and I were sitting outside having lunch, she witnessed a large rat running into the dining area. #4 I don't know if it was just me but I never got warm water for my shower. No matter how long I left the water running hot water eluded me. The water wasn't quite Arctic cold but I couldn't stop shivering throughout my shower.

Recommendations: #1 If taking the stairs is too much for you, be sure to request a room in the newer wing closer to the elevator.

Room Tip: Request a room in the modern wing close to the elevator if you have discomfort with stairs
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed here for just a night, so couldnt really appriciate the pool side etc..but one thing that stood out is the girl in the frost desk,though speaking minimal english was very helpful, she booked a bus for us for the next day by going out of her way.Otherwise found the hotel pretty clean and pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Todos Santos, Mexico
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Our room had a balcony and was generally fine. Elevator is slow, so use the stairs which is good for you. Maybe so is a cold shower, but I didn't like that part. There is a good size pool, not very large but adequate. Happy hour at the pool-side is ok but be aware of the extra hotel charges. They have free bicycles for you to ride, if you dare. No problem if you take them to a quiet side of town and if you can stand the motorcycles and busy traffic on the way, you can use them to visit Ankor Wat.

Room Tip: Higher up and ask for balcony on the outside.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Diemen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Dear fellow travellers,

this hotel was very nice and a bit more luxurious than the previous hotels we had visited during our trip. The hotel is located just outside the city center, by tuktuk (USD 2) not even 5 minutes, by foot just 10 minutes walking. Easy to find and a comfortable walk home, so you can choose.
The hotel has good rooms, clean with good facilities. The breakfast buffet is good, there is a small but sufficient pool where you can sunbathe as well. There is also a massage salon. It is very nice, but prices compared to the city are times 3 so think about that when you decide.

The Angkor temples are not far from the hotel. We went by car to the further ones, but rented a bike for a day from the hotel (USD 3 per day per bike) to cycle to Angkor Wat (20 minutes by bike, 7 km) so quite okay.

The city center is vibrant with lots of bars and restaurants and worth visiting. We were there New Year's Eve and in Pub Street it was quite a party!

We would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I was off loaded by Apsara and given this hotel as alternative. Firstly, i find it a bit far from all the activities as compared to Apsara Centerpole. Secondly, the hotel is old and needs refurbishment. The good thing i enjoyed was the breakfast spread but the service is average. They don't replenish the buffet spread and you need to ask for it.
My room was average and the sink was dirty, towels were stained, water flow was slow and hot water does not work properly. I did not find the hotel up to my expectations and was disappointed by Apsara Centerpole for putting me up here.
I will not recommend this hotel for consideration

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family