“Pampered all the way”

Ranked #90 of 354 Hotels in Siem Reap
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Pampered all the way”
Reviewed 18 March 2010

My husband and I spent our wedding anniversary last year at FCC, we took the 3d/2n honeymoon package and extended it for another night. The package was excellent including temple passes to Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and a few others, elephant rides, hot air balloon (just lifts up, does not move out independently), romantic bath, at least 4 massages/facials etc, bottle of champagne with exquisite canapes!

We were picked up from the airport, served welcome drinks upon checking in (which was instant) and had their staff sit with us to plan what we want to do. We had a designated driver and car. We immediately left for Angkor Wat (believe me, May is an extremely hot and humid month to be in Siem Reap) followed by a quick lunch then to Angkor Thom and trust me, by then we were totally dehydrated!

Our room - average sized but well furnished except that they had a computer monitor-sized TV!! The pool was small but no complaints on that! While we were out in the pool, the staff was setting up our romantic bath. They took a long time and I was getting impatient (have had this at several other hotels and it did not take this long) BUT when i saw the floral arrangement (not scattered petals) in tub, it was definitely worth the wait! This was followed by a hour long foot massage in our room which is exactly what you need after all that walking. Then we were served champagne and canapes in our room!

Aromatherapy smells greet you everywhere in the hotel and you can select your preferred fragrance for your room. 2 lunches and 1 dinner besides breakfast was included in the package and the plus point is that you can order whatever you want from the menu - ala carte and not boring buffet style. So you are free to experiment with the variety, find something that you love and then order more of it!!! The shrimps served in those designer dishes were awesome!!

The staff were very friendly, helpful and spoke good english. Our driver (forgot his name) drove safely and could brief us on the historical sites quite accurately. We hired the driver to take us to the Bantey Srei temple in the outskirts and to the Tonle sap as well.

The spa was small but treatment was good. Overall, I must say it is one of my favourite hotels and I have stayed in various hotels of various sizes around Asia and Europe. Most definitely recommend this hotel - small with lovely architecture and grounds, exclusive, reasonably priced and with great service!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank janeprem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 12 March 2010

I stayed at the FCC Angkor and their sister hotel The Quay, in Phnom Penh as part of my honeymoon. The hotels themselves are actually pretty nice, well designed, good food, pleasant reception staff - my problem is with the FCC group management. I paid in advance by paypal for both hotels but ended up having to cancel a night at the Quay. They said this was fine and that they would refund by paypal asap. TEN WEEKS later and I have received nothing, despite sending at least 15 emails. Mostly they have ignored them. On three occasions they have emailed me saying the refund has been arranged but nothing has materialised (and paypal is instant so I would have received it straight away). I have even had the FCC financial controller refuse my calls, and had someone else hang up on me when I telephoned to find out what was going on. I cannot get over just how rude and dishonest they are!

As far as I am concerned, holding onto my money is theft, and lying to me about it is truly disgraceful. I would advise against paying in advance for any of their properties as you may well not get it back. And it's not just me, there are two other reviews on TA from people who never got their refunds back from the FCC group either. I only wish I had seen those before I booked with them!

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Peachbreath
Surrey
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We booked the FCC after a recommendation from my boyfriends brother who had been to the FCC for dinner but couldn't actaully afford to stay there at the time. We were very grateful for the recommendation. The staff all greeted us with such warmth which was lovely after having a long bus ride to get to Siem Reap. The room was beautiful, especailly the bathroom. The best part for me was the breakfast. As it is common to see sunrise at the temples the FCC offer to bring your breakfast as room service before you go (i.e at around 4.30am) so you don't then miss out. we also had our breakfast next to the swimming pool one morning which was a lovely way to start the day. We had a complimentary massage also which again relaxed us. The whole ambience of the hotel was relaxing, we spent 3 nights in total and haven't felt quite so relaxed since. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, its a beautiful hotel in what can be a fairly hectic place.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank furrymonster
London
Reviewed 3 February 2010

We got what we expected after some good research at Tripadvisor. Overall – a very good hotel that breathes some good degree of calmness and “colonial” feel, despite being certainly much younger. The FCC provides a relaxed sanctuary after some busy days of negotiating the myriads of temples in the area. The pool area, though not big, is a great place to wind down after a day out in the field. The rooms are ok sized with modern Asian furniture. The complimentary wifi at ok speed is certainly a plus.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating with attention to detail. The breakfast, though a la carte, is tasty, provides for enough options and keeps you going for most of the day. The coffee and the fresh French pastries with lemon curd were just great.
We have not tried the FCC restaurant for dinner but rather went astray downtown had very decent local meals at rock bottom prices in the pub alley area (sounds much worse than it is).

We booked our tuk tuk driver before hand as per recommendation of a friend. This is not absolutely necessary (prices were the same, USD15 per day plus some USD5 extra if visiting temples outside the Angkor Wat / Angkor Thom area). However, not all of the drivers speak a good English (yet). He provided us with a perfect itinerary for a full 2 days and was great company. More info under: www.angkorwat-driver.com.

The negatives? Just a few: the room we had (“Honey” – no room numbers, just names) was downstairs in a dark corner on the left, right behind the reception, hence with little natural light and privacy. Those, who like a warm shower, may be disappointed – the water was only remotely lukewarm, at best. The partially partitioned bathroom provides for little privacy – beware. From what we saw we would recommend to either find a room upstairs or splash out more and go for a pool villa downstairs (mind though, the pool area is accessible for all guests.

Would I recommend to FCC? Yes, certainly, subject to the few caveats above.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2Saxons
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Fantastic staff - nothing was too much trouble for them. Great location - 10 minutes walk to Pub Street and night market. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve T
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 January 2010

FCC is very good what is wants to do but less forthcoming for other requests.

Clearly a very nice place to stay, spacious, attractive rooms and surroundings, good location, nice spa, recommendable.
Negatives:
too many mosquito's in the room, staff should spray.
staff offered female companion.....as a joke(??????)
no reply yet to my email regarding Bonus points
food not particular good
trips booked through the hotel relatively expensive but good guides.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank AdriaanNed
Adelaide
Reviewed 16 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel with friends for five nights. It was excellent. The rooms are beautifully decorated. The bathrooms are particularly nice and the outside seating area for each room was a great place to relax after a hard day at the temples! The staff were excellent and very helpful. The spa was brilliant but it is best to book through the FCC reception desk rather than with the spa as they speak much better English and it avoids any confusion over bookings. The hotel restaurant was good although it would be nice to see more local choices on the evening menu. The breakfast that was included in the room rate was however excellent and available via room service very early if you wanted to go to Angkor Wat for sunrise. We loved this hotel and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends