“Romantic temples package - a great buy” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
FCC Angkor
Ranked #88 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Tokyo
“Romantic temples package - a great buy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2007

I have just returned from a four night stay at the FCC Angkor and I loved every minute of it. My boyfriend and I chose the Romantic Temples package and I highly recommend it. I notice that another reviewer felt that the packages feel too rushed so thought I would provide a very brief itinerary so that other reviewers can determine if it would meet their needs or not. There are other packages available but you can check the hotel website for details.

Day 1: 5:30am start to see sunrise at Angkor Wat, then temple hopping until midday. Return to hotel to relax by pool and avoid the midday sun. Temple hopping from 15:30 to about 6pm including sunset at a temple mountain. Massage from 6pm to 7:30pm followed by dinner.
Day 2: 9am start to see remote temple. Picnic lunch. More temples. Return to hotel at about 3:30pm. Massage from 4-5:30pm, followed by dinner.
Day 3: 6am start (my choice) to see Bayon before the tourists arrive. More temple hopping in the morning. Return to hotel for lunch and midday swim. Siem Reap market in the afternoon (could have done temples instead but we were templed out) followed by 1.5 hr massage, then dinner.
Day 4: (this was additional to the package price but I recommend it) excursion to see floating villages on Tonle Sap lake. Also foot massage (c. 1 hour)

The massages were varied in nature and included a hot stones massage, a dry Thai style massage in pyjamas, a Swedish-type massage... I loved them!

I did not feel that this was too rushed but of course it is a matter of personal preference. The hotel provided a free guidebook to the temples to allow us to make a choice (there are so many - we must have seen fifteen different temples and there were more to see) and I advise having a quick look at this, deciding which you want to see, then asking the driver to suggest a sensible itinerary.

My tips for other guests are as follows:
1. get up early - really early - for the popular temples (esp. Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom including the Bayon, Ta Prohm)
2. go to at least one remote temple as you will feel like a nineteenth century explorer! It is still possible to be the only person in a temple if you time it right.
3. be aware that different temples look good at different times of day and times of year. E.g. reservoir-type temples look really good in the rainy season. Trekking to see a waterfall in the dry season may be a waste of time! The hotel can advise you on which temples are affected by weather conditions.
4. take lots of single dollar bills and when you get there, be prepared to accept change in riels (at time of writing, the exchange rate was 4000 riels to the dollar). We tipped the driver every day but I am not sure if this is customary or not.
5. you will find that you are pestered at the entrance to every temple by children looking to sell postcards, guidebooks, handicrafts etc. This is never threatening - in fact, it can be very entertaining and I enjoyed talking to the kids (once inside the temples you don't see them so much, so there is a respite from the sales patter). However, it is good to have small change to make little purchases from them. I also gave out bread (which they wouldn't normally eat, I understand), bananas, cheap pens and on one occasion an ice cream and that all went down really well.
6. bring hair conditioner! This does not appear to be available in Cambodian pharmacies and was not provided by the hotel.

• Liked — The beautiful poolside setting
  • Disliked — No conditioner in the rooms.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Tigerlily2803

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2007

We spent 3 nights at the FCC and it was an oasis in the middle of Siem Reap. Staff were friendly, yet unobtrusive, and the rooms were simply furnished. The pool area is wonderful - you feel like you are in a tropical paradise, however all the sights and shopping are only a few minutes away. We would definitely recommend staying here.

• Liked — Peaceful
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank howieandchau
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2007

For most people a trip to Cambodia will include a visit to the temples accessed from Siem Reap. There are a large number of hotels springing up as tourism rapidly expands and after our stay at FCC I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

Right from the start of planning our trip the service was excellent, with prompt replies to email enquiries through to all interactions with staff in the hotel and spa. The rooms were well appointed, the swimming pool excellent, the atmosphere in the bar and restaurant was perfect and I had the best massage of my life at the spa.

While primarily aiming to see the temples, we booked one of the hotels 'weekender' packages (temple cruise) so that we would also be pampered in the spa each day. I would not have booked the package if I had known what it actually involved. In striving to fit treatment's in around other commitments we missed sunset, the cultural show was disappointing, the fixed khmer banquet meant you couldn't sample the rest of the excellent looking menu and while you were provided a driver for sight-seeing and a bit of a suggested itinerary it was up to you to either get a guide ($30USD a day) or you have to plan which temples you wanted to see.

I would have chosen to eat in the hotel off the a la carte menu each evening and still have the spa treatments but on an ad hoc basis (book early however to avoid disappointment). For sightseeing it is not too difficult to arrange a driver and guide.

Top tips:
The pool rooms are much better than the garden rooms.
Don't go for the temple cruise package, organise transport/guides and spa treatments separately.
I would not recommend a trip on the lake as this was very dissapointing. Book the spa in advance.
Take US dollars for everything and keep some spare for the departure taxes.
Try to get to some of the further flung temples, because the main temples (e.g. Angkor Wat at sunrise) have started to get swamped at busy times of year.

• Liked — Stylish accomodation
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank docgriffin
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2007

My wife and I spent 4 busy days there in February. After seeing some of the other high end places (it's a small town), I am very glad we chose the Angkor. It has an ambience that constantly reminds you that you are in Cambodia. Great service, very good restaurant, wonderful rooms (we had a suite), and super-friendly staff. The atmosphere was very relaxed. There were also no mosquitos (they seemed to make this a priority as the river is across the street), excellent water pressure, cable, and bartenders who know how to make a good Mojito. In other words, any anxiety one might have about staying in a hotel in what is still a 3rd world country is unnecessary.
As for my gratuitous advice:
1) You need 3 full days in Siem Reap. Hire a car/driver and guide from the hotel. It's cheap...don't waste time looking for a cheaper deal.
2) Angkor Wat and Thom is enough for one day. Go early to one, avoid the mid-day heat back at the hotel (nap, lunch, a swim or massage...take your time), and see the other near sunset.
3) Tonle Sap is a must. So is Banteay Srei and Ta Phrom. Do Tonle Sap on the same day as Ta Phrom (look at a map), and on another day, Banteay Srei combined with a day of shopping in Siem Reap and relaxation. You could opt only for a half day car and guide that day so you could do Banteay Srei in the morning and then be on your own.
4) A tuk-tuk can be had for a few dollars for an entire evening. He will wait for you anywhere for as long as you like. So will the guides and drivers.
5) American dollars are the currency of choice. Keep a good supply of single dollars on hand. They come in really handy.
6) You will not step on a landmine. Siem reap is safer than your hometown. Relax and have a great time.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Robwash
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2007

Spent 6 nights in November. It was a good safe location (important as a woman travelling alone). Room was nice but a little too western for my taste. Really lovely restaurant/bar; good breakfasts. I found the sales and admin side to be very haphazard. I had a lot of difficulty getting confirmation of my bookings (in the end I had to book 2 nights with FCC, then next 2 nights via ta ravel site as the FCC said no rooms and then had to book the final 2 nights as part of temple package - which I found to be not good value). There was no real sense of overall management of the hotel (I felt that each department seemed to act independently and there was no sense of customer service or prioritising customer needs). After I checked out, I emailed and detailed my various issues and concerns and recieved a response to say, I should have brought it to managements attenton at the time (even though I had listed in my email how many times/ways I had attempted to log my concerns with management). They certainly did not make me feel like a valued customer. I would recommend FCC Siem Reap for a meal but would not recommend otherwise.

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank islandfielder
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2007

We spent five nights at the FCC recently and loved it. Our room was on the second floor and generally we had no problem with noise from other visitors. However, the sliding glass front doors don't always lock easily, so be prepared to hear your neighbours clunking around trying to close up as they get up at 5am for Angkor Wat's famed sunrise. Note: The hotel even serves you your breakfast in the room at 5am if you want to have it before leaving, which is a great way to get yourself up - and it was a really good breakfast of croissants as well as bacon and eggs, fruit, yoghurt etc.

The room was clean and well attended to, and the housekeepers were attentive in keeping citronella oils burning in the rooms to keep out the multitude of mosquitoes that proliferate in Siem Reap (didn't work - got stung quite a bit during the night. I would recommend bringing your own heavy duty spray, but it's not the hotel's fault). The tv was not large, as other tripadvisor members have mentioned, but that was totally fine with me. One good thing is free broadband access in the rooms, plus several wi-fi points around the hotel, which I used for my laptop.

The room was well designed and the bathroom very spacious when you slide the dividing wall open leading to the bedroom. The toilet is a little too clearly in view of the outside corridor, however, unless you close your curtains across the entire glass front door. But you get used to it, and it's not a huge deal. You just have to duck and hide a bit!

Only negative comment is that we had room service a couple of times (and of course breakast in the room every day, which was delivered at no extra charge). While the food was excellent, the service prompt and the portions large, it was surprising that the dirty plates languished outside our front door for up to 24 hours afterwards! This was after the room was cleaned in the morning too (maybe it wasn't considered the cleaners' jobs to clear the trays - who knows?) We even called twice to ask the restaurant to remove but this did not happen.

The pool was lovely, the design of the whole building very pleasing to the eye. Service was friendly and faultless, and the reception was very helpful in finding me private tour guides and cars at short notice to get to the temples.

The room charge of US$120 per night including breakfast was, I thought, reasonable, and I would recommend this hotel for any stay in Siem Reap (although it has to be said that the Hotel de la Paix, which we visited for drinks during our trip, looked absolutely spectacular).

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank LoveTravel62
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2007

We spent Christmas 2005 here and loved it so much we returned with our enlarged family 2006. This place is a real oasis in Siem Reap with stylish rooms and bathrooms, cool pool area and an atmospheric restaurant and bar (both food portions and drinks are generous). The poolside rooms are best and a must if you are sensitive to noise from the public areas and power generators. Best of all is the friendly staff who provides excellent service. Don't miss the spa but be sure to book treatments or the steam room if you want to enjoy them directly after a long day at the temples. Highly recommended!

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — Noise levels in certain parts of the hotel area
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family