I have just returned from a four night stay at the FCC Angkor and I loved every minute of it. My boyfriend and I chose the Romantic Temples package and I highly recommend it. I notice that another reviewer felt that the packages feel too rushed so thought I would provide a very brief itinerary so that other reviewers can determine if it would meet their needs or not. There are other packages available but you can check the hotel website for details.
Day 1: 5:30am start to see sunrise at Angkor Wat, then temple hopping until midday. Return to hotel to relax by pool and avoid the midday sun. Temple hopping from 15:30 to about 6pm including sunset at a temple mountain. Massage from 6pm to 7:30pm followed by dinner.
Day 2: 9am start to see remote temple. Picnic lunch. More temples. Return to hotel at about 3:30pm. Massage from 4-5:30pm, followed by dinner.
Day 3: 6am start (my choice) to see Bayon before the tourists arrive. More temple hopping in the morning. Return to hotel for lunch and midday swim. Siem Reap market in the afternoon (could have done temples instead but we were templed out) followed by 1.5 hr massage, then dinner.
Day 4: (this was additional to the package price but I recommend it) excursion to see floating villages on Tonle Sap lake. Also foot massage (c. 1 hour)
The massages were varied in nature and included a hot stones massage, a dry Thai style massage in pyjamas, a Swedish-type massage... I loved them!
I did not feel that this was too rushed but of course it is a matter of personal preference. The hotel provided a free guidebook to the temples to allow us to make a choice (there are so many - we must have seen fifteen different temples and there were more to see) and I advise having a quick look at this, deciding which you want to see, then asking the driver to suggest a sensible itinerary.
My tips for other guests are as follows:
1. get up early - really early - for the popular temples (esp. Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom including the Bayon, Ta Prohm)
2. go to at least one remote temple as you will feel like a nineteenth century explorer! It is still possible to be the only person in a temple if you time it right.
3. be aware that different temples look good at different times of day and times of year. E.g. reservoir-type temples look really good in the rainy season. Trekking to see a waterfall in the dry season may be a waste of time! The hotel can advise you on which temples are affected by weather conditions.
4. take lots of single dollar bills and when you get there, be prepared to accept change in riels (at time of writing, the exchange rate was 4000 riels to the dollar). We tipped the driver every day but I am not sure if this is customary or not.
5. you will find that you are pestered at the entrance to every temple by children looking to sell postcards, guidebooks, handicrafts etc. This is never threatening - in fact, it can be very entertaining and I enjoyed talking to the kids (once inside the temples you don't see them so much, so there is a respite from the sales patter). However, it is good to have small change to make little purchases from them. I also gave out bread (which they wouldn't normally eat, I understand), bananas, cheap pens and on one occasion an ice cream and that all went down really well.
6. bring hair conditioner! This does not appear to be available in Cambodian pharmacies and was not provided by the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The FCC Angkor sits at the heart of Siem Reap Town, overlooking the Siem Reap River and just minutes away from Cambodia's most alluring attraction, Angkor Wat.Renovated from the old French Governor's mansion, art deco embraces chic hotel, creating an atmosphere of refined luxury and casual elegance. Defined by its lush green gardens and the salt-water swimming pool, the FCC Angkor embodies Cambodia's tranquil pace of life: a casual swim, drinks in the garden, dinner on the terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Southall Travel so you can book your FCC Angkor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fcc Angkor Siem Reap