“It can be so much more”

War Museum Cambodia
Book In Advance
More Info
US$83.00*
and up
Private Tour: Siem Reap City Tour Full Day
Ranked #25 of 182 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Owner description: The War Museum Cambodia in Siem Reap is the only war museum in Cambodia. The museum has a unique collection, you can take a free guide (a war veteran) and you can hold small arms.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

For a country with a tumultuous past and the terrible sacrifices of its people who still manage a very friendly attitude, the war museum in Siem Reap is an insult to the memory of those who died. The word basic is too strong to describe the place. Rust is eating away at the exhibits, 95% of which are exposed to the elements. The information signs are handwritten and offer little detail apart from the date and location and year of manufacturing of the military equipment part of which was removed or "permanently" borrowed.

I am glad I visited the museum and I was moved by the section dedicated to land mines and their silent victims but with just a little work, that place can offer so much more.

1  Thank HappyTimes2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

the museum is a hands on excursion into how cruel people can be. the guides are fantastic and a very reasonable $5 fee. for boys it is a great opportunity to see and hold the deadly weapons from Cambodia's past.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

First off, I can probably see where the bad comments come from, if you were to just walk around this place with no guide or a poor guide, yes it would most likely be just average.

I barely even saw most of the items as the entire time I was asking my guide questions and he gave me great answers as to his life, his kids life and what it's like dealing with PTSD and post war problems. At one point, the guy literally sat down with me, and we chatted while my gf (who wasn't into the war exhibits as much as I was)and he and I just talked about stuff he remembered.

I will say, yes these guys are doing this as work. And yes, they are probably underpaid. The problem comes when you have to distinguish if donating at the end is worth it or not. My guide never once asked for money, never gave me some sob story about how he needs to feed family etc.. I willingly asked about how the govt compensates veterans and he said matter of factly that pensions are usually about 30$ a month for some, himself included. He talked about the struggles of being alone and how he only recently started sharing his story with his kids. I ended with a 5$donation that I approached him about. Not the other way around(o can agree I'd feel odd if approached by them about it.)

Overall, whether I got lucky with the guide or not, I had goosebumps half the time talking to him, and because of that this may have been my favourite place after 4 months in Asia.

2  Thank party33
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Wow......What an enlightening experience. We squeezed in a visit to the museum just before our flight left. Our guide, Tom, former Khmer Rouge child soldier and landmine victim, led us through an emotional, at times horrifying recount of the Cambodian Civil War. I highly recommend visiting the museum if you are in Siem Reap. Having history recounted by somebody that was actually there was a truly authentic experience.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

For $5 dollars a ticket this is really worth while. My history knowledge is fairly poor and I learnt so much from my visit. You get a free guide - ours was an ex soldier, who had stepped on a land mine causing him to lose a leg. The museum is strangely peaceful and it was an saddening experience but I would say to everyone coming to Siem Reap, definitely visit this war museum!

2  Thank EllaJATebbutt