“Dont miss this place”

and up
Private Tour: Siem Reap City Tour Full Day
Ranked #38 of 191 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Owner description: The War Museum Cambodia in Siem Reap is the only war museum in Cambodia. The museum has a unique collection, you can take a free guide (a war veteran) and you can hold small arms.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

One of the place to visit if you are travelling to siem reap this reminds us how cambodia was looking during the war. The guide are the victims of those terrible land minds/veterans that still located in fertile land of cambodia.

Location is with in City limits after the military camp est 8 mins. From old market. Lesson learned negociate with tuktuk driver before proceeding asking price is 15 usd old market to war museum to market. Entrance fee 10/person. Just give tip to guide though they say that its for free tip box is also available at the main entrance.

3  Thank redstaff2003
Resselaar, Manager at War Museum Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Redstaff,

The entrance fee is $ 5/person. Not $ 10/person.

The entrance fee includes:

- a free guide (e.g. learning the history, explaining about the different mines and weapons, personal war stories)
- holding small arms (m16's, khalasnikov's, rpg's)
- free photographing/filming

Nevertheless, it is truly sad to hear that you paid too much for the tuktuk driver. Go and return from the market would cost you only about $ 5,00.

Kind regards,

Management
War Museum Cambodia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,538)
All reviews
in 97 reviews
"his life"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Next to all the beauty of Siem Reap the war museum is a stop you cannot and do not want to skip. It's important, especially for teenagers, to be made aware of what happened in Cambodia just so recently. Most impact full are the guides, who share their personal stories. The pictures tell a cruel story. And still today, the country is not clean from mines.

The museum is build and maintained with care and is only a little outside of the city. Quickly there with a Tuk Tuk.

Very very impressive!!!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My friend and I decided to go to the war museum and we were both very shocked as to how terrible the Cambodian people have had it here. Up to two million people died, many from exhaustion or starvation, while others were tortured and executed, until an Vietnamese-led invasion ended Khmer Rouge rule in 1979. There are still over two million mines left in the country. It's a real eye opener, you have to go. Our tour man was called "hour", a really nice guy to talk to.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

As a history teacher I understood a little of what Cambodia suffered over the past half century. Nothing prepared me to hear the history from someone who lived it. Thom was our complimentary guide after the $5 entrance fee. Well worth the price.
I've read the poor reviews panning the rusting and unkempt feel of this historic place. I believe it added to the ambiance. It drizzled the entire time we were there and I think that added to the experience. There were little covered areas to seek refuge. The guides were knowledgeable and they are the survivors. They cannot find work in other "good" jobs because their wounds make them "unlucky".
They will ask for a donation at the conclusion, in addition to what you already paid, but it is well earned and I didn't feel as if I was duped.

Please go and learn and support this place.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My friend and I spent 12 days travelling around Cambodia earlier this month. We had both read about the War Museum in our Lonely Planet's. I can't speak for my friend but my history on the Civil War and the Khmer Rouge is pretty sketchy at best. We took a tuk-tuk from the Angkor National Museum to the War Museum which only cost us US$3 and got more than we ever expected from this place!!

Despite the terrible atrocities that the Cambodia people and it's country endured less than half a century ago, this is the only War Museum in the whole country.

If you come to Siem Reap please make the effort to go to the War Museum. For US$5 you can look around by yourself or you can be taken around by a guide. Our guide was Tom, a lovely, soft spoken Cambodian man who grew up near Siem Reap. Tom lived through the Khmer Rouge, lost his family when he was 12 and his left arm to a landmine not long after. Tom gave us an insight into this conflict that you can only get from a person who was there.

All of the guides at the musuem are victims of the war. Like Tom many of his colleagues have also suffered the loss of a limb. Because of this, Tom and his fellow colleagues are no longer employable in the normal job market. However, the War Museum shows that they have a lot to offer and we have a lot to learn from them!!!

So if you are in Siem Reap please visit the War Museum, and keep Tom and his friends in a job. You won't regret it!!