“Great base to explore Siem Reap” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Freedom Hotel

Freedom Hotel
Ranked #311 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
Armidale, Australia
“Great base to explore Siem Reap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here as part of our a intrepid tour for 4 nights and it was good. Our room was out the back overlooking the pool and was clean and tidy. We had fresh sheets and towels each day along with 2 complimentary bottles of water. The pool was great to swim in after a day of temple hopping. It was easy to catch a tuk tuk into town -be sure to bargain and set the price for a trip prior to leaving the hotel. The restaurant was great for breakfast and the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Definitely see if the rooms out the back are available
Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dapto, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel as a part of a tour group through Cambodia, and the three nights I spent here were very pleasant. The room was clean and spacious, with my only complaint being the height of the shower. We joked that it was made for Hobbits. I'm 5'7", and the shower head was at chest level. It made showering rather awkward. However, the service we received, and the facilities of the hotel more than made up for it. The staff were all friendly and helpful, the pool was clean with complimentary towels, and the buffet breakfast was amazing! I've never seen so much food for breakfast before! Oh, and the hotel has free wifi in all areas of the property. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I am sorry to sat that, but Freedom Hotel has been of of my worst experiences in the world. I am quite acquainted with Asia and Cambodia and Freedom hotel did not meet any of my requirments. Not a staff available to help customers, lots of extra charges and a horrible location. For less that what get charge you can go to better places downtown and close to shops nd everything. It is not a place for families in my opinion.

Room Tip: Upper floors...but will charge you more!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Humphrey M

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Hi There I lived here for 4 months when I first came to Cambodia. I had previously come on an Intrepid tour 5 years ago and had stayed here 4 more for 4 weeks at a time. The staff at the desk Mr Sokheng is amazing even helped me with my computer. My laundry was always back the next day. The staff at the restaurant even knew what my order would be!
The pool is beautiful, yes it is one of the true "Original Hotel's" in Siem Reap so the rooms are older Cambodian style but still an A + and cleaned very well.
The family have helped me with taxi's to Poipet border,Tour guides for the Temples even finding me a place to go for a job interview! (I got the job too)!!!.

Room Tip: Choose a room out the back are bigger and better, but the small rooms at the front can be cheaper if...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of an intrepid tour with my partner for 3 nights.

Some of the previous reviews have been mixed, and it seems that this may be highly dependent on the room that you get. The hotel is quite large and strangely set out in two buildings. We were in the rear building in the row of rooms overlooking the pool. I highly suggest you get one of these rooms (Room X36 onwards where X is the floor number). We were able to peer into some of the other rooms as they were being cleaned, and they all looked smaller and older. Plus, I'm guessing these rooms are noisier as they are closer to the main road.

Our room was quite spacious and very clean. The only downside is the lack of a safe, and the water pressure of the shower was frustratingly weak. Otherwise, we were pleased with our room.

The calling card of the hotel would be its pool and it did not disappoint. It's a salt water pool that is clearly well maintained. The pool is indeed a nice way to end a long hot day of temple touring. We had an in-house massage ($7USD per hour for a foot or body massage, $10 if you want oil). It was OK. A bit weak on pressure but it still felt good. The massages are done in a large single room of about ten beds so don't expect much privacy. Breakfast was OK. It's a bit strange in that it's not a buffet, but instead they bring out plates of egg, bacon, bread, and pancakes to your table. Noodles are also available but they're a bit bland. Apparently they do hold buffets in the higher season.

The biggest downside would be location. It's not really walking distance to town. You'll need to take a 5 minute tuk tuk ride. Expect it to be about $3-4USD one way to Pub street.

All in all, a decent hotel, but I suggest you check the room first if you can, and get the ones out the back overlooking the pool.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Superted84
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on an Intrepid tour. It is not within easy walking distance of the main area in town, so get used to taking tuk tuks. The hotel itself and the rooms were nice and clean, but the beds were incredibly hard. I found it hard to get a good nights sleep based on that alone as I am a side sleeper - my shoulders and hips were achy every day. Food for breakfast was decent - the pancakes are amazing but they get snapped up super quick!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
melbourne, australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed as part of our Intrepid tour. It is a fair distance from the centre of town and pub street. staff were good but some did struggle with communication. After a long day out, the pool was a nice place to relax until the massage staffs children started running and screaming around the pool/fitness area and the nice relaxing place was gone.
The hotel needs to work on their breakfast - it is done like a buffet except they serve you food. They seem to only cook 1 pancake at a time so if you are on a deadline for time allow plenty of time for breakfast.
The Blue Pumpkin café (near pub street) does great coffee, so we would buy a take away coffee before heading back after dinner, put it into the fridge and then take down to breakfast, get a glass of ice and pour coffee over the ice, iced coffee.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple