“great location”
Review of City River Hotel

City River Hotel
Ranked #113 of 378 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 4 July 2014

we had a group of 13 people, we didnt have any problems with checking in a large group. The staff were more than accomodating.
The rooms were spacious and clean, however the beds were hard, but it didnt bother any of our guests. Our room was facing the side street, and was very quiet.
the breakfast was nice, nothing that i would write home about, but the basics, all in all not bad. the resturant food is fantastic, and the prices very cheap.
The rooftop pool was a great place for our group to socialise, the pool was clean with plenty of places to sit. there is a bar at the pool, with great cocktails for happy hour.
We had massages in the hotels spa, for around $10 for an hour, we didnt complain.
Location was fantastic, it is about a 4 minute walk to the other side of the river , where the city is, great resturants, shopping, bars and music only minutes away.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 June 2014

What can I say about this hotel?

-Location-:
It's in a prime location along the river front in Siem Reap. It's only a 5 minute walk from 'pub street' and the night markets (or $1 on a tuktuk if you want). It's on the more 'local' side of the river, which also makes it a 5 minute walk from even cheaper (if you can believe it) restaurants and markets.

-Service-:
From the moment I arrived until the moment I left the service was impeccable - greeted with a cold towel and water, checked in within two minutes, and shown up to my room with no fuss. They even reconfirmed my return airport transfer with no fuss. By the pool side there was always someone ready to bring you a new drink, and in the restaurant I was outnumbered by helpful staff at a 4:1 ratio! Never had any issues with the room, so never had to call anyone. Put some laundry in one day (it's super cheap) and it was hung in my cupboard by dinner time.

-Room-:
For the price you pay, excellent. I opted for a deluxe room as it was only a few dollars more than a standard/night. Huge bathtub, super clean, aircon never noisy or too cold. TV had plenty of English channels. Safe worked fine. You get two complimentary bottles of water every day. Wifi was free, fast, and unlimited. Only things I'd look at for improvement - replace the toilet roll holder with something more subtle than the massive cylinders you likely find in a public bathroom. Also, a second chair or some sort of side table for the balcony might be nice.

-Breakfast-:
Included, and delicious. It's and about what you'd expect from a 3.5/4 star hotel. I've had better for sure, but I've also paid 5x more for the privilege. Decent variety, but I was they'd had bacon on more just one of the days. It's not a true holiday without breakfast buffet bacon!

-Pool!-:
Loved it. Great views around the city, as it's one of the taller buildings in it. You can see storms and deluges approaching in the distance. They've got a couple of nice lounges set up too (no extra cost). Travelling in the low season certainly has its perks!

-General-:
The staff were what really shone through here - no problems at all, coupled with attentive staff made for a memorable and excellent stay. Good work!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BrizTom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in June 2014. Frankly, I was quite apprehensive when I saw the entrance but my opinion changed when I stepped into the lobby.

The staff welcomed us with such warmth that we were put at ease immediately. The excellent standard of hospitality was maintained throughout our stay. We tried out the full body and foot massages, and both were equally good. Staff at the spa were also attentive and pleasant. The pool at Level 6 offered good views and breeze; a welcome change from the heat. The gift shop at the lobby was well-stocked and reasonably priced. A good place to get souvenirs, ranging from trinkets to clothes.

The breakfast buffet was basic but sufficient if you're not a fussy eater. It was not of international standards, but had a reasonable spread of hot/cold drinks, egg station, cooked food, bread, salad, fruit and cake. Nevertheless, we had dinner there one night and the menu had a good selection. We enjoyed the meal. Overall, the restaurant was clean and the staff were pleasant. We were pleasantly surprised by the service standards when we had asked for a plastic spoon just before we checked-out and the staff took the trouble to pack full plastic cutlery and a serviette in a sealed packet. Kudos for the effort!

The triple room we took was comfortable. However, the air-con was barely working. This was disappointing as we would come back after a full day out in the sun and be greeted by a humid room. The nights were warm because of this. To be fair, we did not complain about the matter as we were too tired at the end of the day anyway. Bathrooms were equipped with all the basic amenities, although the heater was rather finicky.

Overall, this was a pleasant experience save for the few minor issues mentioned above. We would highly recommend this hotel. Certainly 5-star service for a 3-star hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank equa-tour
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I used to own a high-end travel company and on numerous occasions would personally stay here when hosting guests (staying at high-end hotels) to save personal money. I must say each and every time I've stayed here I've been very impressed with the staff. They are incredibly polite, happy and helpful. The location is excellent and it's likely the best value for money property in Siem Reap.

Room Tip: Fourth and fifth rooms with balcony are worth the extra charge.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Nice and warm welcoming hotel.Very good service and hotel staff's very attentive to requests.Apart from that a very nice view from the rooftop where the swimming pool is (6th floor).Enjoyed very much during the 5 day stay there.Kudos guys and gals.Will definitely come back.Two thumbs up.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CHARLES O
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at City River Hotel in Siem Reap in Cambodia for 12 nights and I cannot speak highly enough of the hotel.
The stay was exceptional. The city river team were available 100% of the time. The breakfast was great. My room was quiet and extremely clean. The staff were absolutely fantastic. A special mention to Sambat & Rithy, who were welcoming, learnt my name upon my first visit to the hotel & continually made sure I was comfortable and having a great time. All of the staff are so happy & polite, being greeted with a big smiling face goes a long way with me.
The hotel also has a rooftop pool and bar that are open long hours that were fantastic.
All this right in a prime location, right in town add up to an amazing stay.
A BIG HUGE thank you to City River Hotel and all of their staff for making my stay an amzing & memorable one, I cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CarliScott
Reviewed 14 June 2014

the location is good, located at the city.walking distance from the old market and the pub street. the hotel room is quite big, we had a queen bed, and a room with a balcony and the room is nice and clean. we ordered room service at past midnight and still they accomodate us, they have the best room service and quite cheap too.. but what made our stay a memorable one were the people working there. from our driver TUNG, (hes very nice and speaks english well), the front desk people (who was very accomodating and helpful) and all the hotel staff who made our stay an enjoyable one. Thank you so much!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple