“After all the positive reviews, I expected more”

The Villa Siem Reap
Ranked #88 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Overall, this property is okay but my guess is that you can find better for these prices.

We started off on the wrong foot. Upon arrival, the room type we requested (two twin beds) was not available as the room had issues with hot water. Therefore, we had no choice but to take a room with one double bed. That said, we found that this room did not have hot water either!

The following day, they moved us to a room with two twin beds. This room was a much better space although both were the space price. The room was fine - decent size, a little noise (but not too bad) and it was clean. Bathroom was fine, although the water was luke warm. The wifi worked great on all floors.

We only ate at the restaurant one day for breakfast - pineapple pancakes were delicious, but the service was extremely slow (not ideal when you are keen to get out early and visit the temples!)

The other thing that left a sour taste for us was the pricing. We had originally booked a package that included food and a tuk tuk driver for 3 days. We had emailed the hotel to confirm that the pricing included the temple passes but upon arrival they gave us a different story. Without the temple pass, the cost of the package is more expensive than arranging this ala carte, so we asked to switch, which they agreed to (also the lunches provided in the package were basic sandwiches where for the some price that you pay for that lunch, you can easily eat delicious cambodian food at local restaurants). Then, when we verified costs, we were told airport transfers were still included in the hotel price, and on the last day, they tried to charge us an additional $5 to get back to the airport. I am not sure if they were trying to scam us or if the language barrier was the problem - we tried to speak to the owner about it but he refused to show up (the staff just kept saying they tried to call him but he was busy). Perhaps the solution here is to book prepaid rooms on a site like Expedia and just handle everything else separately.

Note: the hotel tuk tuk drivers are nice and reliable. They are about $3-5 more (per trip) than finding one yourself on the street so just depends if the additional cost is worth avoiding the hassle. More details on Angkor and Siem reap can be found here: http://www.mangopancakes.com/2013/01/three-perfect-days-in-angkor.html

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 January 2013

I liked The Villa and I'd stay here again. There are other places in Siem Reap that are only $10/night more expensive and more comfortable (plusher features, pool, etc), though not necessarily quite as well located.

The location of The Villa is just about unbeatable. It's a block (along a dusty street) from the edge of the central touristy part of town where all the markets, restaurants, shops and bars are.

The staff at The Villa are also unbeatable. I've travelled extensively but never come across such sweet, lovely staff as they were here. I was hit by 'Delhi Belly' while staying here and was quite ill for 24hrs; the staff brought me tea and were very caring. When I left, I gave some of the staff some tiny practical gifts to say thank you (hotel staff in Cambodia only earn around US$60-80/month, so a small practical gift can mean a great deal). Their sincere gratitude was overwhelming, and we were all in tears at the parting.

The rooms are basic, but they're air conditioned, clean and comfortable. I was on the top floor, up two flights of stairs. The tile floors in the room are noisy if someone upstairs or nearby is walking around in hard soled shoes (fortunately most guests removed shoes at the front door, though this wasn't obligatory), cleaning, or dragging a suitcase. There's a big four poster bed with a mosquito net, a TV, bar fridge, and an en suite bathroom. I would have liked to have a wardrobe, but there were places to hang clothes. The building has elegant Khmer furnishings, including in the rooms.

I was there three nights, and my only hesitation about recommending The Villa was that my room was quite noisy. It was on the side closest to Siem Reap town, overlooking a building site, with a busy road just beyond. All the scooters and motor bikes buzzing around, and busy traffic, was noisy. But I suspect the other side of the building is quieter, as will this side be once the building next door finishes.

The restaurant was good, and the staff were especially kind to me when they realised I had an upset tummy. The hotel also offers day tours, one of which I took (despite the upset tummy, which wasn't necessarily the most sensible decision). The tour was excellent, highly recommended.

In summary: I enjoyed my stay here and look forward to going back. I'd recommend The Villa to most people, but older or disabled folk who don't want to negotiate stairs might want to look elsewhere, as might those who are after a bit more luxury.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room as they're quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Atheoretical
Reviewed 23 December 2012

The air conditioning, which is absolutely necessary, barely kept the room cool. Service, however, was excellent. If your in the back backer crowd it is well worth it! No elevator either. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available with decent food at reasonable prices.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave P
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I booked the three day package which includes bed and breakfast, a guide, and tuk tuk driver both of whom spoke good English and several extras (underplayed on their website). The hotel is boutique style, great room, really friendly staff and the package takes all the sweat out of doing the angkor temples without being controlled by a rigid tour. Lots of flexibility, you can decide what you want to do and when, but with good advice. if you're looking for lively, or for a clone hotel which are springing up everywhere, this is not the place for you, it's calm and soothing with all the facilities you need. An added bonus is that you are 200 metres from the sugar palm restaurant which is fantastic.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank richardpeters_hb
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We were in Siem Reap for 6 days and I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. The place was lovely; location was pretty accessible and the staff was wonderful. From the receptionists, the servers, the guide and the tuktuk driver (Mr. Chuom), I was just overwhelmed by the great hospitality and warmth they showed us. If I do come back to SR again, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LeiKC
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I looked at many reviews of many places in Siem Reap. I needed something respectfully priced and close to ammenities. Most of the places-to-stay on Ta Phul Road are of the "guest house" variety. I would say its a great location to stay for the night market, pub street and ammenities. The Villa was wonderful. Near the end of the street. The shops just 30 seconds to 5 minutes away. The staff were wonderfully welcoming and just beautiful people. Everyone wanted to help me with places to go, things to see and do. Every day I was asked if i was having a good time in Siem Reap and if they could help more to make it better - this includes not only the front reception but also restaurant staff! Everyone at the Villa is kind, good hearted and just stops and wants to get to know you better; learn about you and make sure you are smiling.
The rooms are safe and cleaned daily. There are no bugs, the A/C works perfectly and the beds are very comfy. The breakfast is subtle but very tasty. You get a choice of continental and then a fuller breakfast - all made well and tastes good. The menu for the restaurant is small but I ate there on most days and the cambodian food is very delicious here. Make sure you wash it down with a tasty cool Angkor beer! :o)...

I fully recommend this stay for solo travellers; tourists to the temples and beyond; shopping and going out in pub street :)

A wonderful stay at beautiful little place with heartwarming beautiful staff!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BLaMEUK
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Coming to Cambodia can be a difficult experience. Things here are complicated, there is a lot of poverty, but like the cliche says, the roughest stones yield the finest gems. Tourist attractions abound. Angkor Wat, Angkor Tom, Tonle Sap, Ta Prom, and of course the people! We have been all over SE Asia and haven't met the genuine kindness anywhere that we found here in Siem Reap. People call Thailand the land of smiles but I think that title belongs to Cambodia.

It is hot here though, dusty, dirty, and often very poor. It is easy to feel discouraged when traveling here. Much of the situation seems dire and without solution. As Tom Robins would describe it, the place is very vivid. Which is where the Villa Siem Reap comes in. It offers a refuge from the grime and noise from the streets. And when you think the future seems bleak for the Cambodian people you meet the staff here, who are the absolute best.

Yes the rooms are clean, cool and well stocked, yes the food here is delicious and sanitary (the two don't always go hand in hand in SE Asia), but the staff make the place. Their attention to detail, their simple and real manners, the fact that they want to make your stay comfortable but that it isn't a mask only to milk money from a foreigner, but a real genuine friendliness. These guys are all stars. But a few really stood out. Ms, Bor Srey Pheap was extremely attentive on the restaurant floor and also excited to practice her English and give us incite into her interesting life, she seems like someone with a bright future ahead of her, Mr Sok Phan backed her up and was also extremely friendly, Mr Rim Chamroeun, made us feel immediately welcome as did Mr Sean Phally. And this isn't to take away from anyone. All of the staff at the Villa did and awesome job and were quick with a smile.

Oh and let's not forget Mr Boone, our hotel arranged Tuk Tuk driver who's patience, warm smiles and safe driving skills allowed us to see all of the major tourist attractions.

After seeing a lot of poverty and destitution it is nice to come back to the Villa after a long day and see Cambodians who are quick to laugh and smile and who are, many of them pursuing college degrees, English classes and careers in hospitality. I wish only the best to our new friends here at the Villa and I hope the ownership is treating them well because these guys are the best.

I do have only one negative thing to say, while we were here we booked a 4 day all inclusive tour package through the hotel. It was amazing, I already listed the awesome things we saw. But a warning to other travelers about the Tonle Sap Lake tour. There is a common scam run by some of the boat operators (ours) that can be read about here http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1907634 I won't go into detail about our negative experience. Suffice to say I spoke about it with one of the receptionists and he said he would look into it. So hopefully by the time you come to the Villa they will have either changed tour operators or resolved the issue.

Safe travels all. Stay at the Villa Siem Reap.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple