“Will return”

Steung Siemreap Thmey Hotel
Ranked #99 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I choose this hotel through good reviews and bought my standard room through Agoda. I decided to upgrade after reading some reviews and was given an excellent room with swimming pool view in the quiet corner of the hotel area, Room 327.

Generally, the staff are awesome, friendly, polite and breakfast provided was great. There was a lady receiptionist who conversed well in Mandarin to my surprise.

Breakfast choices are good and its buffet style. If you are leaving for Angkor Wat sunrise tour, you can ask them to pack the breakfast for you.

The location is great, just 2 min walk from pub street where the old market and the restaurants are located. So need to fuss over tuk tuk which is not exactly cheap for USD$2 - USD$2 for a 4 km ride. I guess coming from a developed country this is cheap. However, many of them worked in the construction or in the fields for a whole day for only USD$2-USD$3 per day.

Will return for sure.

Room Tip: There are two lobbies in the hotel and the lobby I checked in next to Viva Hotel gave me room 327 wh...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Steung Siemreap Thmey Hotel

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was my first time in Cambodia and the hotel was better than I perhaps had anticipated. The location was good, being close to the main streets and a stones throw from the river. It was easy to walk to things or via tuk-tuk as needed. My room was spacious, clean and well appointed with a nice bathroom. However the hotel is split over two sites and I was in the half on the other side of the road from the restaurant, bar and the swimming pool. This meant having to go out, cross the road and re-enter the hotel every time I went to breakfast or to use the pool, which became increasingly annoying the more I did it. The reception staff were polite and helpful and when my ceiling sprang a leak (from a faulty aircon unit) they got someone to fix it quickly. I also found that the tv wasn't tuned in or attached to the ariel, but fixed this myself rather than call someone. My main issue was trying to have dinner. I went down/across the road in the evening, to find the restaurant open but deserted. No staff, no customers. I waited for ages but no one appeared and so I went and ate elsewhere ( actually worked out for the best, as better cheaper nicer food.) If they want people to eat in house they should try and welcome the guests and create some atmosphere.) Breakfast choice was ok, but often too busy to fit in everyone at once.

Room Tip: Pick one with a balcony not facing the street
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here at the end of February 2014 for 3 nights. Great location, literally around the corner from where all the restaurants and shops are. Staff very happy and helpful. Room was situated on the 1st floor facing the street, a little noise outside but not too overbearing that I couldnt sleep (you have to take into account where you are). Room also a little 'worn' but you get what you pay for. Really, I had no major problems with it. I will return to Cambodia again one day and would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again because of its location and friendliness of staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building if street noise would be a problem.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Craig A
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Only thing going for this hotel is good location. It is located near Pub Street, Old Market and Night Market. It is split between two parts on either side of the road. The reception staffs were not helpful at all. They were the worse during our trip to this excellent country. We were allocated a room with twin beds but our request was for a room with double bed. We tried to rectify this but we were told that it was fully booked. This was not the case as we found out. The bedding in our room was smelly as if someone has been sweating in it all night. We asked for them to be changed. Initially they said that they did not have spare but after kicking up a fuss they did change it. It wasn’t any good but less smelly. Next we realised that we did not have any hand towels. I asked to rectify this only to be told that they did not have any left but will be able to provide late in the evening. When they did supply the handtowels, they were smelly and unusable (if you wipe your hand then your hand would smell). I asked for a map and was told that they didn’t have any left and that I will have to wait until next morning for more photocopies as the copier was turned off. I made a fuss to this respond and the receptionist promptly turned on the copier and supplied me a copy of map.
We stayed 4 nights but never used hand towels as every day replacement were smelly. The breakfast was just about sufficient with enough choices. The service for breakfast was poor. When we asked for napkins we were told that they don’t have any left and were provided with serviettes’. The housekeeping was very poor. There was no attempt was made to improve it even after complaint. I must slam the reception staff again as they were the worse. I asked for one hour extension to checkout and was promptly turned down as hotel fully booked. But when we checked out there were empty rooms and we sat at the reception for two hours and no one checked in. I would only recommend this hotel for its location.
Cambodia as a country is a must for a visit. Angkor temples are awesome. Beer and food is cheap. Bartering in local market is fun. They use US dollars so don’t bother changing to local currency.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the temple courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rameshlcfc
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We toured Laos Cambodia and Vietnam. This hotel in Siem Reap was one of our favourites. Good clean central hotel. Breakfast was lovely with a great selection to suit everyone. I would Definately stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Kerry M
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed for 14 nights. 1st thing - the pool is NOT cold. Great pool. Most people explore the temples in the morning then come back to the hotel to cool off in the afternoon. The sun is behind the building by that time - the pool is in full sun from 6am to 1pm. Because of our long stay we got upgraded to a pool view room after 2 days, which was offered when we checked in. After 2 days we DID get our upgrade only after a little heated argument with the front desk. I think the main problem was the lack of English & the different staff not letting anyone know what was offered. The staff are generally friendly & helpful but English is NOT their 1st language. Remember you are not in an English speaking country. Rooms are spacious & clean. Extremely hot water in bathrooms - be careful. Breakfast is fabulous, big selections & even a little egg station, where you get an omelette or whatever freshly made. if they are slow replacing the stock of food, be patient - you are not at the Hilton. The location is the main attraction. No need for tuk tuk when going out to eat or drink, its just around the corner. Honestly would definitely stay here again. Another hint - tip the housekeeping staff every day, even if its your local change (which is of no real use to you) Just leave it on your bed - this will help get good service - towels, bottled water etc, whatever is needed. WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: Ask if any chance of a pool view room ... ? Doesnt hurt to ask.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We spent almost a week at this hotel. The front desk seems rather confused unable to settle the bills or book a spa appointment for the day after because "there is a big group coming in who might want treatments". Also mixed experience with housekeeping which didn't provide replacement for the smaller towels for a few days. The pool is nice and breakfast reasonable but don't make the mistake of eating dinner here. Pub st is so close.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family