“In the Heart of Siem Reap” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Steung Siemreap Hotel

Steung Siemreap Hotel
Ranked #95 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Kochi (Cochin), India
“In the Heart of Siem Reap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights. It was Deluxe room with an extra bed, the room was on 4th floor, spacious. The hotel had a heritage feel to it. They have 2 wings on either sides of the road. We stayed in the wing where restaurant and swimming pool located, so we didn't have to cross the road every morning. Breakfast was buffet, served from morning 6 o'clock. Its very convenient for those wanted to visit Angkor temples early. Breakfast is having good selection but it will be the same every day.

Location was excellent, right next to Old Market (Psar Chas), yet we didn't feel the rush of the market. Very close to the river front as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ningbo, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here 5 days, first day was impressed with the room, large size, clean, and the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. But out of the 4 nights they only cleaned my room once, after the first time they would just empty the trash. First day they didn't clean I didn't say anything, because I thought maybe they would come later, or something? But the 2nd and 3rd day without cleaning my room I complained to just have excuses of they were expecting to change me to another room, or that they forgot and they would come right away. Both times they never came, and I didn't make too much of a fuss as we spent very little time in the room. If they don't clean regularly while people stay there make me think... What other cleanliness standards are they skipping over? I do not recommend here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WackaWacka520
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed in Steung Hotel as part of a wider package for my wife & myself. Was recommended by the tour agency so went with their suggestion.

Pros...

The staff are very friendly & approachable.
The condition of the hotel is pretty decent.
Nice pool to lounge by (until about 2.30pm when the sun goes behind the building).
Great location - right next to the markets (night & day markets), Pub Street & lots of bars and restaurants. Go for street market food - half the price of the restaurants and same quality

Cons...
Service can be quite slow.
Breakfast is pretty poor - not great quality of fruit, or hot choices (frankfurters, flabby bacon, fried rice etc). The freshly made omelettes are ok though.
Our room didn't have any pillow cases when we arrived - just some rather stained pillows :(
Shower was blocked which the staff didn't seem to be able to fix during our stay.
The beds are rock solid (not ok for everyone!)

So overall it wasn't too bad. Just a few things that could easily be fixed to make it a great hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I choose this hotel through good reviews and bought my standard room through Agoda. I decided to upgrade after reading some reviews and was given an excellent room with swimming pool view in the quiet corner of the hotel area, Room 327.

Generally, the staff are awesome, friendly, polite and breakfast provided was great. There was a lady receiptionist who conversed well in Mandarin to my surprise.

Breakfast choices are good and its buffet style. If you are leaving for Angkor Wat sunrise tour, you can ask them to pack the breakfast for you.

The location is great, just 2 min walk from pub street where the old market and the restaurants are located. So need to fuss over tuk tuk which is not exactly cheap for USD$2 - USD$2 for a 4 km ride. I guess coming from a developed country this is cheap. However, many of them worked in the construction or in the fields for a whole day for only USD$2-USD$3 per day.

Will return for sure.

Room Tip: There are two lobbies in the hotel and the lobby I checked in next to Viva Hotel gave me room 327 wh...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Bath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was my first time in Cambodia and the hotel was better than I perhaps had anticipated. The location was good, being close to the main streets and a stones throw from the river. It was easy to walk to things or via tuk-tuk as needed. My room was spacious, clean and well appointed with a nice bathroom. However the hotel is split over two sites and I was in the half on the other side of the road from the restaurant, bar and the swimming pool. This meant having to go out, cross the road and re-enter the hotel every time I went to breakfast or to use the pool, which became increasingly annoying the more I did it. The reception staff were polite and helpful and when my ceiling sprang a leak (from a faulty aircon unit) they got someone to fix it quickly. I also found that the tv wasn't tuned in or attached to the ariel, but fixed this myself rather than call someone. My main issue was trying to have dinner. I went down/across the road in the evening, to find the restaurant open but deserted. No staff, no customers. I waited for ages but no one appeared and so I went and ate elsewhere ( actually worked out for the best, as better cheaper nicer food.) If they want people to eat in house they should try and welcome the guests and create some atmosphere.) Breakfast choice was ok, but often too busy to fit in everyone at once.

Room Tip: Pick one with a balcony not facing the street
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here at the end of February 2014 for 3 nights. Great location, literally around the corner from where all the restaurants and shops are. Staff very happy and helpful. Room was situated on the 1st floor facing the street, a little noise outside but not too overbearing that I couldnt sleep (you have to take into account where you are). Room also a little 'worn' but you get what you pay for. Really, I had no major problems with it. I will return to Cambodia again one day and would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again because of its location and friendliness of staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building if street noise would be a problem.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Craig A
Leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Only thing going for this hotel is good location. It is located near Pub Street, Old Market and Night Market. It is split between two parts on either side of the road. The reception staffs were not helpful at all. They were the worse during our trip to this excellent country. We were allocated a room with twin beds but our request was for a room with double bed. We tried to rectify this but we were told that it was fully booked. This was not the case as we found out. The bedding in our room was smelly as if someone has been sweating in it all night. We asked for them to be changed. Initially they said that they did not have spare but after kicking up a fuss they did change it. It wasn’t any good but less smelly. Next we realised that we did not have any hand towels. I asked to rectify this only to be told that they did not have any left but will be able to provide late in the evening. When they did supply the handtowels, they were smelly and unusable (if you wipe your hand then your hand would smell). I asked for a map and was told that they didn’t have any left and that I will have to wait until next morning for more photocopies as the copier was turned off. I made a fuss to this respond and the receptionist promptly turned on the copier and supplied me a copy of map.
We stayed 4 nights but never used hand towels as every day replacement were smelly. The breakfast was just about sufficient with enough choices. The service for breakfast was poor. When we asked for napkins we were told that they don’t have any left and were provided with serviettes’. The housekeeping was very poor. There was no attempt was made to improve it even after complaint. I must slam the reception staff again as they were the worse. I asked for one hour extension to checkout and was promptly turned down as hotel fully booked. But when we checked out there were empty rooms and we sat at the reception for two hours and no one checked in. I would only recommend this hotel for its location.
Cambodia as a country is a must for a visit. Angkor temples are awesome. Beer and food is cheap. Bartering in local market is fun. They use US dollars so don’t bother changing to local currency.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the temple courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple