“great location”

Ranked #101 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Aberdeen, Scotland
“great location”
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Many hotels in Siem Reap are a distance from the markets and night life The Steung is just 300 yards from pub street and yet is quiet. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. We did not dine at the hotel but the breakfast buffet was excellent. The salt water swimmimg pool was clean and there were ample sun loungers.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at Steung Siem Reap. The staff were very attentive, friendly and professional. We arrived early afternoon and were greeted warmly and given a lovely cool drink. We had a late lunch in the hotel and the food was very delicious. The breakfasts were very yummy. The saline pool is clean, big and inviting, and we spent time in it each day- we loved it. We couldn't fault the Hotel at all, (from reception to the restaurant staff to cleaners), they were all delightful and made our holiday an experience to remember. Steung Siem Reap is right in the centre of town with less than 1 minute walk to pub street and markets. It is about a 5 minute walk to the night market. It is only a few kilometres from Angkor Wat and surrounding temples. We went out to a silk farm and what an amazing experience. Thanks, if we get the chance to go back to Siem Reap we will certainly stay at Steung Siem Reap.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank JoC102
Escondido, California
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Just returned from four nights at the Steung Siemreap (means by the river where the Siamese were crushed, I think). The main building is a renovated French colonial structure. First room had a/c problems. When I called down to reception they were up to my room in 5 minutes with a porter and moved me to another room. The rooms all have tvs with a myriad of English channels. The hotel is very clean and you always see someone cleaning the stairs, elevator or floors. Their is free wifi in the lobby area, but I could also get in in my room on the 2nd floor as my room faced the front of the building. No street noise to bother me. The salt water pool is large and refreshing. As previously mentioned, the best part is the location- a 2 minute walk to a large supermarket/modern shopping center and another minute to the shopping street, complete with at least 2 "fish spas." The staff at the hotel goes out of their way to be helpful- every time I returned the door was opened for me and I was greeted. I negotiated a $50/night rate w/breakfast (taxes included). The hotel also offers room service with no delivery/service charge. Western and Asian food is available. Got a excellent burger and fries for $4.40 total (hey, you can't eat Cambodian all the time!). The Cambodians are a warm, sincere, honest, friendly people- you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank SterlingGuy
Falklands
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Given many of the highly rated hotels are way out of town, it was great to come across this one: a well priced, well regarded hotel which does not require a tuktuk ride to the restaurants! Just around the corner from Pub Street, but in a quiet area without hassle or crowds of tuktuk hawkers at the door. Big, spotlessly clean rooms (if a bit old fashioned, and with memorably eccentric shower taps - try to figure them out!), good breakfast, and they'll negotiate a reasonable day hire price for a tuktuk. I booked online, and got a price of half the walk-in rate (it was low season). There's a swimming pool I didn't use, but which looked clean,and there was an electronic safe in my room. Free breakfast was pretty good: fresh fruit, and they'll cook you eggs or omelette.

Wireless internet was only in the hotel lobby, which is a bit unsatisfactory, and the airport shuttle they offered was a couple of dollars overpriced, but apart from this, I really have no complaints.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Location 5/5
In the heart of Siem Reap. Almost never have a chance to experience a tuk tuk ride except for a ride to Lucky Mall supermarket. Restaurants, pub street, old market are a 2minutes walk & noon/night market are a 5minutes walk. A small supermarket just around the corner.

Room 5/5
Quiet deluxe room facing the pool, good size except for the balcony that are practical unusable. If u like bigger balcony, ask for room facing the road but of course will have little road noise. Strong shower but shower spray a little too near the wall. Powerful aircon in the day & freezing in the nite. Room are clean with slight hard bed. Fully equip toiletries with shaver. Mini safe provided.

Breakfast 3/5
Nothing worth mentioning as with the usual bread, bacon, sausage, egg, rice, noodle, cereal, fruits, juice & coffee. I am fine with it.

Nice size salt water pool which is a leisure for a hot sunny day. The cocktail (singapore sling) are lousy in my opinion.

I was able to communicated to the staff in simple english & they are polite & friendly....
Yes, i enjoy my stay..............

Tips:-
Do not use the massage beside the main tower, even when stated 25% discount, comparing apple to apple, they are still very expensive at 19usd/hr for a 4-hand massage as compared to those along pub street that are charging at 15usd. Cheapest massage are at the noon/nite market area.

My best restaurant goes to Khlmer Kitchen & Soup Dragon. Worst rating goes to Angkor Palm for serving me cold food (recommanded by lonely planet?? LOL)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SingaporeTravelnut
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I and my husband travelled to Cambodia for few days. We chosed Steung Hotel for our trip. The hotel located in the central of Siemreap city that is excellent one we stayed in our trip.
The room is very large with beautyful balcony look out the street. The hotel has a very nice swimming pool.
The hotel service is make us so happy. We will be back in near futures.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 May 2010

This is a nice, clean hotel in a FANTASTIC location in Siem Reap. The rooms are very roomy and comfortable w/ good air conditioning, free bottled water daily, fridge/mini-bar and a safe...and the rate I got was very reasonable for this quality of hotel. The staff is very friendly, but I rated the service at only 3 stars simply because I don't think they are very knowledgeable when giving restaurant recommendations for example...not a big deal.
The location can't be beat! 1/2 block to the Old Market, 1 block to Pub St., across the street from a grocery store, and right next to monastery (the monks are friendly and like to practice their English w/ visitors). The hotel is very quiet as well, I had no problems w/ street noise...and also felt very safe as a single female traveler. You can also read my review of Siem Reap titled: Siem Reap: Welcome to the Kingdom of Wonder - I agree!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo