“Charming, good value hotel”
Review of La Maison d'Angkor

La Maison d'Angkor
Ranked #120 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
London
“Charming, good value hotel”
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed here for 4 days in December 2010. Had a large room with large bathroom overlooking the garden. Very comfortable & clean, though the furniture could be updated. Long narrow pool, same depth throughout, which, as a non-confident swimmer, I loved. Very few sun loungers & many not in the sun. Some pool furniture (sofas) needs updating & the area around the sun loungers seemed not to be swept daily.

Breakfasts are good, though not over generous. The garden is attractive, but not manicured. Staff are very charming & helpful. A bit of a way from the town, so if you want to be in town, not for you. Tuk-tuks just outside the hotel.

I booked an English speaking guide through the hotel & was not impressed. His English was not good enough, & when one strayed into a conversation beyond Angkor, he faltered. The hotel should be sure that the guides really can speak English well.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Shanghai
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Honestly, it is hard to find a more cosy and better place to stay. It is a very intimate atmosphere, quiet and peaceful. Rooms are large and comfortable, service is attentive and the kitchen is excellent. You will enjoy to relax in the garden, near the pool.
You can get a breakfast box if you wish to watch the sunrise.
The decoration is great and the hotel is thinking of a lot of small details to make the stay most enjoyable : a library with many books, possibility to book excursions through the hotel, massage in house, billard, business corner with free internet, ....
Great value for money, I can only recommend it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Excellent well-run establishment in Siem Reap, this really was a great Cambodian boutique experience. The staff is outstanding; quick and professional, and let’s not forget, extremley friendly. I will put this down to the excellent management at L’Maison (well done Joffrey). What I really loved here was the hide-away aspect of the place; I always felt as if we were escaping the busy, tourist-ville of S.R, to our private and calm tropical jungle to lounge by the pool followed by a massage.

The location is great as the city centre is only about 10 mins by Tuk-Tuk, which was U$2.5 each way. Don’t be put off by this as you will travel by Tuk-Tuk really no matter where you are.

We stayed in the junior suite and must say whoever designed the bathroom deserves an award. It is stunning and simple.

I would highly recommend this over any of the hotels in S.R (visited many).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Stayed for 3 nights for visiting temples etc.
Beautiful boutique hotel, delivering perfect personal service, and surroundings.
If you want glass and concrete go elsewhere, but if you are an experienced traveller, wanting a little class, at sensible prices look no further.
We had the 3 night package which we considered good value. They could not do enough to make our stay memorable, and the food was excellent. Rooms were spotlessly clean and the bathroom unique. Highly recommended.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Spend a few days there during a trip to anghor wat then move to another hotel as they were fully booked. I will definately come in this hotel. The stay was top from A to Z. Staff and management very nice and service mind. Room big and very clean. Garden and swimming pool really restfull after a good day of visit and for relax. I eat at their restaurant several time and was highly satified of their selection and food tasting. Not far away from downtown and historical temples. So relax and confidential away from the crowd of tourists...

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Three enjoyable days and nights. Delightful rooms. lovely gardens, very obliging staff and interesting good value food and drink. Loved the pool , bar and outdoor restaurant. We booked the deluxe package which included Tuk Tuk, a dinner and a lunch and a Khmer massage. Dont miss the latter.
Booking the Tuk Tuk was a good move. Made it very easy to get around the temples and the city.
Recommend strongly.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 November 2010

La Maison d'Angkor is a nice place outside of town, but on the main road so it's easy to get to. It is quiet, and the grounds are covered with trees and bushes, giving the place a tropical resort feel. Although only yards from the main road, you rarely hear any traffic, just the occasional horn from a tuk-tuk. The villa I rented was in the back, away from the road, so we couldn't hear anything back there anyway. They have a large pool surrounded by trees, which we used both day and night. We were never bothered by any of the hotel staff; they always worked in the background, which suited me fine.

The room was very clean, our bay doors opened out into the common grounds with trees and flowering bushes, so we often kept the doors opened just for the view. We had a sunken bathub (but as is the case in every hotel I've ever stayed, there wasn't nearly enough hot water to fill it to take a hot bath), but was fine for showers. Huge bathroom by the way, with two sinks. If I ever built a house I would have made it the same way.

The hotel has a small kitchen/dining area outside near the pool, but we never ate there so I can't judge the food, but since the place is run by French people, I'm sure it was great. Everything was run well and I have no issues to complain about, which for a hotel in Cambodia is quite a feat. The service was great, we had peace and quiet the entire time, we were never bothered by anyone or anything. Any issues we had were promptly taken care of.

We were picked up and delivered to the airport without any hassle (which I can't say for most other hotels I've stayed at in Siem Reap). There are always several tuk-tuk's sitting outside waiting for customers. A ride to the Old market took maybe 15 minutes and cost $3. I plan to return to Siem Reap in a year or two, and would probably stay here again, just because I know it is clean, safe, quiet and well managed. They had just finished an outdoor bar near the pool, but sadly, no one in my party drank alcohol so we never sat there.

Near our villa there is a small jacuzzi and a nipa hut, where we often sat and ate our meals we brought it, which was a nice touch. Surrounded by trees with the water splashing into the jacuzzi.

The only advice I could give is to the owner; I saw him walking around one night barking at the Cambodian staff, slapping the counter and acting like a colonialist. If you have to talk to or discipline your staff, do it in private, not next to the pool in view of guests.

My rating is 5 stars for cleanliness, rooms, sleep and service, location gets 4 because it is a good drive from downtown (some people might not like that). One good thing about the place is, the other guests all seemed to be well cultured individuals, and not the sex-tourist crowd that are all over downtown. No "DOM" (Dirty Old Men) with their little girls.

Also, I read some review saying the place had bedbugs, and that is a lie. My room was great. My guess is that if someone DID write the review intentionally, they probably had fleas from the dogs and cats downtown. At almost every place we ate in the Old market, dogs and cats from the street would come up and lie under the table, waiting for scraps. My legs were itching almost immediately, and I was soon using bug repellent on my legs everytime I went downtown. I'm guessing this happened to whomever wrote that review. But the place is immaculate, and there are no bedbugs.

1 Thank Dharma_Punk