“perfect little hotel”

Ranked #114 of 337 Hotels in Siem Reap
UK
“perfect little hotel”
Reviewed 28 December 2011

just back from 3 weeks travelling around Indochina. Started off in Siem reap with 3 nights in the Golden Banana and we all fell in love with the place - great room with upstairs lounge & balcony overlooking pool, really friendly & helpful staff, good breakfasts & generally warm & relaxing atmosphere. Could have stayed much longer !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dbottomley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I stayed four nights but wish I had stayed longer. Siem Reap is a fascinating place with much more to offer than mind-boggling historical ruins. To be honest, there is a bit of culture shock and I travel often. I feel as if I had the barest introduction to the city and culture. The hotel is beautifully designed in a chic modern style and well maintained. Keep in mind that it is a tropical boutique so don't expect a Sofitel. You will get some mosquito bites and you will share your room with colorful talkative geckos. Even though I am an urban boy, I loved all of that (maybe not the mosquitoes so much). The food is absolutely fresh and delicious and you can get a really good cup of strong coffee in a cleverly designed French press. The common spaces are welcoming and comfortable and the salt water pool is perfect for those like me who cannot abide chlorine. You can arrange all temple tours and numerous other activities with the reception staff who make it easy. It is close to the old market which is the big attraction at night but I stayed "home" in the hotel a couple of nights when too tired to deal with the raucous scene and ate delicious food, wine and got a massage from the hotel spa. Everything is extremely affordable and of high quality at this hotel. Laundry service is excellent as well. Not outrageous like most hotel laundry services. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough but the most charming aspect is the warm and eager staff. Most of them are students and are friendly, funny, hard-working, attentive, giggly, resourceful and intelligent. Talk to them, tip them (not required or expected, but they will appreciate the help). I was impressed by the hotel aesthetically, as a warm, welcoming place to relax after long days exploring Siem Reap and especially for what it brings to the community and the opportunity it provides for the staff. I am already saving my pennies for a return visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ftsnyc
oz
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed 6 nights and loved every minute at the hotel, felt like 'home' the first day, the gorgeous staff offered us lime iced tea on arrival, sat down with us quietly and explained all the temple tours,trips etc etc. Our room was fab with huge swinging chair, great pool, loved the red details and lamps throughout, beautiful photos. Staff organised great driver, great guide, one of the best massages I have had on our trip (one hour full body for $12!)..Excellent breakfast..really enjoyed the location, close to the markets..amazing value..We'll be back soon !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ozreg
Toronto
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I stayed here in November 2011. Its a little off the beaten path, but sill only a 5 minute walk to the old quarter area. The rooms are beautiful (I had a chance to stay in two) and the common areas are also great. The price comes with breakfast which is very good. They also easily arranged a driver for us to go to Angkor Wat as well as airport transfers. Overall if you're looking for a romantic place to stay while in Siem Reap this is definitely the place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tbayrob
Eureka, California
Reviewed 24 November 2011

This was a return stay and I was not disapointed. excellent staff, excellent rooms. Very clean. I had made a mistake with my reservations and they went out of the way to fix it. I stay in hotels about forty nights plus a year and this was the best. good breakfeast as well. and the location is excellent

Room Tip: Get one with the bathtub on the deck
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I stayed at the Golden Banana Boutique Hotel for 6 nights and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.
I had arranged a pickup from the airport and despite arriving over an hour late Mr Sa, one of the hotels tuk tuk drivers was waiting for me grinning from ear to ear. This was typical of my time here.
Now why the bananas comment in the title?...this is not a Western style boutique hotel and so things are a little different here.
My two storey villa was accessed by a near vertical staircase and my lounge area again had a steep spiral staircase. Not a problem for me but might cause access issues for some people.
The room itself was spotless and comfortable and had it's own rustic style. I understand each room is slightly different.
Hot water was a little hit and miss but wasn't a big issue for me.
The staff were charming helpful and fun and have their own quirky ways of getting things done. You're just as likely to find them in the pool as behind the reception desk, and I was entertained one morning by the housekeeping staff play fighting with enormous bags of toilet rolls!!
Breakfast was freshly prepared to order and could be eaten anywhere in the hotel.
Same day laundry service was good and cheap though I did discover later in my travels that one of my shirts had dropped into a muddy puddle before being immaculately ironed and folded!
Wifi was free throughout the hotel though the signal was best close to the reception area.
I took one of the hotel cars to Phnom Penh and happily ended up with a car full of various staff and friends who wanted to come along for the ride. We ate deep fried spiders on the way...they taste nothing like chicken!
So in conclusion I'm very happy to recommend but do not expect a 'starchy' Western style resort.....embrace the bananas!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank SuperTrev
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2011

If you're like me, then you hate the over populated, long line up tacky tourist locations! If this sounds like you, the Golden Banana will fit the bill as your safe place. Quiet, close and affordable.

With 5 separate buildings offering different pools, eating areas and individualized service, The GB is a perfect retreat after a long day of hiking; especially if you've hit the temples at the wrong time with dozens of busses unloading the groups! The BNB section is not as nice as the resort or boutique hotel, but still great value.

Villa's are not really necessary unless you need two beds. We appreciated the extra space with the cute spiral staircase to the second floor terrace and tv room. Perfect if you're jet lagged and your partner is lucky enough to be sleeping, while you write a long winded review on Trip Advisor.

Breakfast is basic, but timely and fresh. Croissants and baguette were still warm.

The absolute MUST is to book a private guide ($25 a day) and private tuk tuk driver. ($15 day)

We just had an amazing two day experience with our guide Sam (Thang Samnang). Ask for him by name and in advance if you can. Excellent English, amazing knowledge of Art History and of course religion. His ability to move through the areas to miss the long lineups was amazing. Save your souvenir money for a stop in his village. We bought some lovely hand carved sugar palm dishes, and a jar of the fresh unprocessed nector. Try a piece of the brown sugar. It's pure complex flavor was unlike any sugar we have at home.

If you feel adventurous, ask Sam to take you out to the locals restaurant to try out some local fare. Curried beef with red ants, BBQ Eel and ginger, and the most inexpensive beer at .75 cents a bottle.

Pub street and the surrounding area is a bit if a tourist trap. Also, the traditional Sepsara dancing and dinner buffet are not as flavorful as one would expect, but again, these places are geared to the large tour bus operators feeding 600 people buffet style. The only redeeming quality is that the money ($12 per head) goes to help these performers, their villages and the continuing of their beautiful traditions in an environment that could easily be swallowed up by the westerners delight in mass production.

• Stayed November 2011