“My favourite hotel”

Ranked #121 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
Dublin, Ireland
“My favourite hotel”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

The Golden Banana is not the most luxurious hotel in the world, but it's definitely my favourite. This visit was my second time visiting and I doubt the last.

The vibe in the hotel (and nearby resort) is a laid back, comfortable one. The staff are an absolute dream, enjoying the lovely Cambodian characteristics that make the people so god damn loveable.

The hotel is small and set around a dreamy salt water pool with a delicious waterfall whose sound adds to the tranquility of the day when sunbathing. Because the way the hotel is laid out, you do need to jump around sun loungers to get the sun all day. We moved to the resort when the sun wasn't around the hotel.

Rooms are comfortable and cute and well equipped. There were a good few mozzies lurking in there but we sprayed them out and bought some coils for hanging out on the balcony at night.

We had a lil issue with a blocked toilet which wasn't a dream.

Overall though, if I ever owned a hotel, I'd model it on this one. It makes me very happy staying here. I tried to wangle a job but alas to no avail. Devo.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Europe
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The GB hotel is located in a small lane, a short walk away from the hubbub of the central Siem Reap. It has just ten rooms encircling the pool which gives it a very personal and private feel: you get to know all the staff and you see guests arriving and departing.

We booked all of our trips through the hotel and we ended up paying less that we would have paid to a travel agency. Because of dirt roads and clouds of dust, we opted for a car rather than a tuk-tuk and were very happy with our decision. We paid USD 8 for the airport ride, USD 25 for the small circuit of the temples, USD 30 for the large circuits and USD 25 for the floating village. The driver also bought the boat tickets for us, so we paid just USD 25 for the entire boat instead of USD 20 per person we would have paid had we decided to buy tickets ourselves (yes, they do take advantage of foreigners). Based on our experience, I recommend to let the hotel to handle all the reservations.

Also, the hotel is very close to what probably is the best restaurant in town - Cuisine Wat Damnak. At USD 22 for a delicious five-course meal, it was too good to be true. Just step out of the hotel and carry on walking along the same lane for some 500 metres.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank smartnik
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

A great comfortable oasis near the heart of Siem Reap, within a few minutes walk of the Old Market and Pub Street. The pool offers a place to cool off in the heat of the day or after visits to the temple complexes, or a place to sit and relax, read and enjoy a quite drink. The staff are delightful, doing their best to cater for the guests' wishes. Most 'rooms' are two storey and have a private balcony overlooking the pool. Internal stairs in these rooms can be steep, but several rooms have all facilities on the ground floor. Well done to Tommy, the current manager, who makes a point to chatting to guests and overseeing the day to day running of both the Boutique Hotel and the Resort. I will definitely be staying here on my next visit to SR.

Room Tip: Check for stairs inside the rooms if you have difficulty with steep, internal stairs. Other rooms ar...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

The GB was recommended by a friend who had stayed the week before I arrived in Siem Reap. Wisely he arranged a poolside room for me, as there's a rather steep stairway to other rooms.

Like others have said, the amenities are just the basics - what's most important to me is a hot shower, a comfortable bed and a clean room. Tick - tick - tick (and lots more ticks). The staff have a reasonable grasp of English and it's refreshing to see such energetic and motivated young people working so well together.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

hands down this is best price-quality hotel we stayed in during our 3 week trip in Asia!

we were staying in the rooms with 2 floors, bed and bathroom downstairs and small quite room upstairs with balcony overlooking pool and hanging chair(amazing). the room is quite modern and very personal which is great!

staff are friendly and attentive to details!

fantastic location!
the hotel is located 5min walk from the old market and city center, piece of tranquility compared to the bars and restaurants area..

pool area is charming, not a lot of sun but enough during lunch hours. very relaxing!

they have tuktuk services in front of te hotel with very reasonable prices, and friendly tuktuk drivers. we booked a daytour to ankor wat via the hotel.

breakfast and snacks are fantastic, only thing breakfast could have been a little more than what we got on our plate.. but delicious!

i would recommend anybody travelling to siem riep to stay here!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Let's go straight to what was the selling point of Golden Banana... That it was a mere 5 minutes away from the hustle and bustle from the city centre (Pub Street et al.), but yet far enough to maintain the oasis charm. The other thing that took me and my friend by surprise was the loft concept of the rooms. It was a 2 storey room, of which I loved the top floor as it overlooked the pool and it has a nice hanging chair which I absolutely adore.

The breakfast was alright, nothing to honk about. I didn't feel full with the portions they gave but it was sufficient.

We did use the hotel tuk tuk and it was very reasonably priced. That was where we booked our half day tour and the driver brought us to all the temples worth seeing.

One thing that perhaps could be improved, was that it would be better for us if the television set was on the first floor, together with the beds instead. The lazy bum in me just didn't want to climb up to the second floor for TV before bed, then having to climb back down to bed in the ground floor. Also the air-con is leaking in Room Zest and this could be looked into as well.

Overall, we had a very pleasant experience with this hotel, and would considering going back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 17 December 2013

After a great stay at Rambutan Resort in Phnom Penh I was happy to give the Golden Banana Boutique Hotel a try. My partner and I were greeted at the airport with a tuk tuk pick up and driven directly to the hotel without hassle. The hotel is in a great location, only a 2 minute walk to the tourist centre of Siem Reap. The room was clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated, the hotel is well planned with a central pool and urban oases feel. The staff helped to celebrate my birthday and my dinner at the (in house) Red Lantern Restaurant was wonderful. A nice extra was that the pool and restaurant at the neighbouring hotel, Golden Banana Boutique Resort, was also available for our use. Overall, a perfect hotel for our stay in Siem Reap – thank you !!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple