Rambutan Hotel Siem Reap
US$188
US$105
US$47
US$42
Anantara Angkor Resort(Siem Reap)
US$299
US$214
US$195
US$173
US$148
US$144
Agoda.com
All reviewsgolden bananapub streetold markettuk tuktwo storeyacross the rivershort walkliving areaangkor watthe ground floorlocation is excellentswimming poolnight marketlate at nightcharming hotelperfect staylovely pool
Reviewed 14 April 2009

There are 3 parts to the Golden Banana so make sure you are booked into the right part. There is a B&B part, the Boutique Hotel and the Boutique Resort. I stayed inthe Boutique Hotel. The hotel is down a little lane from the river, literally a 5 minute walk to the centre of town, yet the hotel is quite quiet. You get a mini house. In mine, I had 2 double beds downstairs and a living area and bathroom upstairs. The door to the room is about 3 strides from the hotel pool - the rooms are in a U shape around a courtyard, with the pool in the middle and a bar to one side. There are a couple of tables and some sunloungers. Inside the room - downstairs - locks not great. 2 double beds, a wardrobe and a door to my "patio area" which was very small, and only a thin fence separated me from the street. It was about 3 feet deep by maybe 12 feet wide. To one side was next doors patio area, so no privacy from them. There was a hanging chair out there and a fixed table. Upstairs is actually quite nice, but very hot. There is aircon unit downstairs, and ceiling fans up and downstairs. Unfortunately, the heat rises but the aircon unit downstairs has virtually no effect on the upstairs. During the day it was usually too hot and stuffy to sit upstairs (and I like it hot!). There is a TV up there and a stocked fridge. Water is free. A couple of nice chairs and a sofa bed. The bathroom was fine, small but good with a shower. A couple of days they didn't spray against insects and despite taking precautions I did get bitten, so I specifically asked them to spray my room (it says in their bumph they do it every tea time but they didn't). The next day they did spray my room. The pool area is nice but if the hotel is full you will have trouble getting a seat. The location is great. 5 minutes away and you have a (very touristy) market and street full of bakeries, cafes, restaurants etc. You can arrange a tuk-tuk driver for temple tours through the hotel - they have certain drivers they use and you can pay via the hotel. My first impression when I saw my room was a bit disappointed actually, as it wasn't quite as "swish" as the website shows. If you expect something a bit tired, you'll be about right. Breakfast is included but is very basic. You can have bread and jam or oats. Anything else you pay extra for. I wasn't that impressed (at all) with the food and ate out most of the time. Without the pool I would rate it lower.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank SazzyBUk
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We stayed at the Golden Banana for 4 nights and had a great time. The room was lovely and competitively priced at $25 a night. The breakfast was OK for free, although we always had one extra item each day to fill us up for the temple-exploring!

The pool in the Boutique hotel was amazing - with salt water and the small water feature at the end - absolute heaven after days of endless sightseeing at Angkor Wat!
On our last day we hired bikes and rode in the pitch black to watch sunrise over AW - which I highly recommend, this was by far the highlight of the trip.

Staff were friendly although we had a bit of confusion with hiring the bikes the evening before the sunrise ride - make sure you treble check that the hotel have hired them for you and will have them waiting the next morning - we had to knock on the door and wake someone up to get our bikes at 5am, despite telling them about 3 times the previous night!

The hotel arranged a taxi to the Poipet border at Thailand which was good. Warning though - there is about a 30min stretch of the road in Cambodia-Poipet which is unfinished and is absolute hell in a car (god knows how horrific this is in the public bus) - I genuinely feared for my life 4 times over on this stretch of road - crazy crazy driving and animals and people in trucks way over the weight limit for bridges and even crazier moto drivers weaving in and out of spaces the size of a sheet of paper! I definitely do NOT recommend this - fly if you can get cheap-ish flights. However, once across the border, the road to Bangkok is absolutely fine!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank willeman
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I can't rave enough about this place...but I'll try. The location is an oasis about 500 mtrs away from the hub of town-close enough to walk home and far enough away from the bars to be quiet and tranquil. The standout feature with this place, apart from the quality of the hotel itself, is the attention to detail the staff and owners put into making this place the best in Siem Reap....and some.
Some examples....
-Our breakfasts looked and tasted like a 5 star meal instead of the average minimal, reasonably tasty breakfasts elsewhere. Everything was just the best of what it was. Nice juice, yoghurt, butter and baguettes. If you've been to Asia you'll know what I mean...
-The driveway had lanterns lighting its 50 mtr length from the road so you can see where you are walking at night, this was especially evident as the main street leading to the bridge over the river wasn't overly lit or paved and a bit rundown looking. Having said that-it's very short and I felt safe to walk down the street to my hotel by myself with a few drinks under my belt. The hotel did feel somewhat of an oasis though...
-Mosquitoes are commonly seen as a problem in Siem Reap, being alongside a river. Not here- the staff have candles burning around the gardens and also, only with your permission, spray your room in the late afternoon. This ensured that the whole place seemed to be mosquito free! I can honestly say I don't remember having any bites there at all. That is going above and beyond the call of duty for any hotel we've seen in Asia.
-The rooms were reminiscent of a maltese/greek/french beach apartment with a touch of morocco thrown in-outstanding quality beds with crisp white linen as well. Two-storey townhouses which overlooked a beautiful mosaic lined pool area. I would happily live in a place like this forever, it was that good. The pool was spectacular and was a centrepiece of the hotel. And quiet at night too.
-The service was awesome at all times without exception. We were treated like kings there, not bad for 70 US a night!
-Upon arrival we were given a 10 minute personal sitdown guide through any information we needed and wanted to know about staying there- really personalised and informing. Right from the start this place was different.

I do have one recommendation though. There are two halves of the hotel. The resort side is slightly more upmarket than the guesthouse side. Everything including the layout, look and vibe is the same, only at the resort it just went that little bit further with the finishing touches. We stayed in both sides and both were fantastic, but the resort side for the extra 20 dollars a night is well worth the upgrade. We were given the upgrade complimentarily without asking, as they were removing some trees and fencing nearby across the driveway. They also upgraded us to what looked like the room with the biggest balcony 'Ylang Room A' when they weren't 100% full- that in itself says a thousand words. We went from being really impressed one day to being wowed the next. We didn't even realise they had a separate 'resort' side - the 'guesthouse' wing was fine!

And this resort isn't what some may think, being 'gay friendly'. We were a group of 3 hetero aussie guys in their late 20's early 30's. We had a great time there and didn't feel like we were hetero guys staying in a 'gay' resort. If this is what a GF hotel is like then they should all be like this because it was awesome.
If you are interested in late night partying at the hotel then this place isn't for you. This place is for people who want to laze away the days in a luxury oasis, walk down the street to eat and party, then come back to chill on the balcony before bed. We didn't hear boo at night and liked it that way.
Very highly recommended-our stay there was nothing short of outstanding and amazing value for money. Period.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Troytheaussie
Reviewed 19 March 2009

My husband and I stayed in the villas for a week in July last year. We were met at the airport by Sovanna with a gorgeous welcoming smile.

We really enjoyed our stay,all the boys were wonderful, our room was cleaned everyday, aircon was a blessing, lovely coctail bar and reasonably priced in house meals if you want them.

Staff closed up the villa each night and sprayed for mozzies...but its a good idea when in Cambdia to use repellant when out and about. I cant remember being badly bitten.

The pool was lovely; well maintained. The only suggestion would be a bit more supervision when noisy backpackers from the B&B occassionally take over. But really not a drama.

Need to watch the charging for their tuk tuk drivers..I think I paid twice a few times.

I think that the shampoos etc should be replaced daily; but mainly so that I could give them away to the local kids. Hey you pay for them!!!

All in all , its a great place to stay, the staff in particular are gorgeous and the main reason we will be returning in a few months time.

Thanks guys look forward to seeing you all...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VickiLang
Reviewed 15 March 2009

I stayed at the Golden Banana Boutique Hotel with my husband and in-laws for 3 nights. The rooms are beautiful, the on site cafe/restaurant was nice, the saltwater pool was great, and the staff were absolutely wonderful! The location is nice too - the hotel is close to many great markets and shops (within walking distance).

I would highly recommend the Golden Banana to anyone looking for a luxurious stay in Siem Reap.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family