“Fantastic & Cozy”

Rambutan Hotel Siem Reap
Ranked #127 of 376 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Stayed here from 16-19 June 2009 (Mid Season) according to their rate's chart as am booked the room nights directly from their website. It was recommended by one of my friend who stayed here last year.

Perfect location near the Old Market in Wat Damnak area. The hotel has 3 different type of accommodation (B&B, Hotel & Resort) which spread out in 3 different buildings next to each other hiding in a very small lane from the main street.

We were supposed to be picked-up by a taxi arranged by the hotel but it was not there upon arrival. I've to call them to reconfirm again and the taxi appeared in 10 minutes. It cost USD6 per transfer and about 6km from the airport. The road from airport to the hotel was perfect. Along the way, we can see many luxury hotels lining-up along the Highway No.6.

Once arrived at the hotel, we was not greeted by anyone as their staffs are busy helping another couple explaining their services and the surrounding. Later, someone suddenly served us a drink and asked us to fill-up some personal information. We were bring to the next building as we booked "Golden Banana Hotel". The room was just fantastic with 2-level (storey) by a stone-staircase. The bedroom was in downstair together with a standing shower. Living room and TV set was in the upper-level with a lovely balcony facing the swimming pool. Oppss... nearly forgotten to mention about the swinging chair hanged in the balcony wall... so relaxing. The room was painted in red & white colors and the stone-staircase in light green natural color.

The hotel room NOT provided hot water or (boiling kettle) and fridge as we need to ask the staff to bring the hot water each time we need it. Seem a bit hassle but the staffs are super friendly and NOT expected tips. The room also NOT provided any hair-dryer.

We decided to walk to the other building to find out how the "Golden Banana Resort" was look like and we found the room are basically same size and same design. The only extra was the small stone shower-tub outside the balcony. Not much privacy as the rooms were a bit closed to each other. Another swimming pool was found here which was slightly larger but we still prefer our salted swimming pool... (not about the salty taste, but the environment was better)!

The hotel provide all kind of services ranging from day tours to transportations with fix-prices. We booked a Tuk-Tuk (cost USD13 per vehicle) for whole day to visit Angkor Wat. The journey from hotel to Angkor Wat took approximately 30-minutes. We was told that we need 2-days to cover the "Small Tour & Big Tour" of Angkor but actually (if you fit enough), this can be done in one day. Both hotel & driver try to make some living by separating the tour into 2-types/days so you'll need to hire the Tuk Tuk for 2-days and required to buy the sky-rocket high entrance fee at USD40 (3-days pass). Unless you're really into details of Angkor otherwise we NOT recommend to visit more than 3-days.

However, we only visit Angkor (Mini Tour) for a day and we pay USD20 (one-day visit). The rest of the day, we rent a bicycle from the hotel (cost USD2) per day cycled around the town (rather small town) to discover by bicycle.

We mostly eat-out during the stay but we did tried having one dinner in our hotel as the price was almost the same as outside. As a frequent traveller, I can said that the foods in Siem Reap was a bit overpriced ranging from USD3-5 dollar per dishes. You may need to know that whole Siem Reap used US dollars and a very small change in Riel. Remember to try the local Angkor Beer .. only 50 cents along the Pub Street.

The only thing that I hated most .. the hotel was full of geckos.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marcuswcp

Reviewed 20 June 2009

There are a lot of reviews for the Golden Banana, so I'll just give a quick run down:
(I stayed in the Resort, not the Boutique Hotel or the B&B.)

all resort rooms surround a beautiful, beautiful salt-water pool (the whole property is really nicely landscaped, and the ambiance is very relaxed and peaceful)

my single-level, plantation-style room was clean and very well ventilated (with fan AND A/C), with a very comfortable bed and large walk-in rainforest shower; bottled water for teeth-brushing was provided

no trouble with mosquitoes (kept doors and windows shut during the day)

very helpful, friendly, English-speaking staff (who arranged for a great driver and a great tour guide)

a very short walk from restaurants, banks, internet cafes and the morning food market

really nice European-style breakfast included: French-press coffee, baguettes, yogurt, a very generous fresh fruit plate (but other menu items also available)

Notes: $50/night might seem expensive for a room when you're traveling in Southeast Asia, but when some of the other resort hotels in Siem Reap can be at least twice that price, I'd say it was money very well spent. I appreciated the attention to detail at the Golden Banana, and the staff's cheerful helpfulness. If I have any reservations, it might be that the steps to my second-floor room were VERY steep, which weren't a problem for me (the staff brought up the luggage), but if you don't do stairs very well, it could be a problem. All in all, though, I thoroughly enjoyed my 3-night stay.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 16 May 2009

If you are considering staying at the Golden Banana Boutique resort, DONT HESITATE.
This was the best and cheapest place we stayed at in our 3 weeks in Cambodia and Vietnam. It was so wonderful that we didn't want to leave. The staff are young, Cambodian and the best staff we had. Their command of English was fantastic and they always had a smile, a joke and were very eager to please. The villas were beautiful,clean, spacious and everything you needed was there. The pool was an oasis.
We were there for 4 nights from the 2nd May 2009. We are a couple in our Mid 40's. I did hesitate after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor but am so glad I still went ahead with our booking. Please note there are three different types of accomodation.
B & B, Hotel and Resort we stayed at the resort which was quite luxurious.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gypsy284
Reviewed 8 May 2009

We stayed at the golden Banana for four nights in early May and couldn't recommend it more highly as fantastic value for money. We stayed in one of the B&B rooms. The room was basic (it didn't have a TV or fridge) but was spacious and clean and set in a lovely garden setting. The free wifi connection worked perfectly in our room. To be able to use the pool at the end of a hot day of temple visiting was so welcome. It was also good to hang out at the bar and meet some of the fellow travelers. The free breakfast was really very good and you could top up with extra items for a small charge if you were still hungry. We would definately recommend sourcing your tuk tuk driver through the hotel to take you on temple tours. We found our driver excelent and he spoke good English and doubled as our tour guide (although he wasn't allowed to enter the temples with us). The hotel also organised our taxi to the Thai border which also turned out to be excellent. The friendly staff at the hotel reception were always willing to help out. Overall we would definately recomend staying at the Golden Banana. One tip we would give if you are visiting Siem Reap is to take a can of mosi spray with you (or buy one there). Although the hotel sprays the rooms each night, it was great to be able to deal to any others that came into the room.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kiwiboyz
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Hotel is located down a dusty alley about 5-10 mins (depending on how you walk) to "downtown" Siem Reap. We stayed in the Boutique hotel, room was downstairs and living area upstairs, the latter was quite useless as the heat during the day was unbearable and there was no ac upstairs.

For the price 55 US, I expected a bit more from the room (some of the furnishings are worn and torn) and at night the place was over run with mosquitoes, but I guess you are paying for the pool which is to die for and makes a great place to lounge during the heat of the day.

The hotel organized transport ... airport pick up and delivery as well as providing a tuk tuk driver who could take you to see all the sights...

Breakfast was ok...two small baguettes, butter and jam.. and tea/coffee.

The staff was always smiling so no complaints there....

Overall I enjoyed my stay here,, and I would reccommend the place although I would save some money and stay in the B&B section of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hodgki76
Reviewed 14 April 2009

There are 3 parts to the Golden Banana so make sure you are booked into the right part. There is a B&B part, the Boutique Hotel and the Boutique Resort. I stayed inthe Boutique Hotel. The hotel is down a little lane from the river, literally a 5 minute walk to the centre of town, yet the hotel is quite quiet. You get a mini house. In mine, I had 2 double beds downstairs and a living area and bathroom upstairs. The door to the room is about 3 strides from the hotel pool - the rooms are in a U shape around a courtyard, with the pool in the middle and a bar to one side. There are a couple of tables and some sunloungers. Inside the room - downstairs - locks not great. 2 double beds, a wardrobe and a door to my "patio area" which was very small, and only a thin fence separated me from the street. It was about 3 feet deep by maybe 12 feet wide. To one side was next doors patio area, so no privacy from them. There was a hanging chair out there and a fixed table. Upstairs is actually quite nice, but very hot. There is aircon unit downstairs, and ceiling fans up and downstairs. Unfortunately, the heat rises but the aircon unit downstairs has virtually no effect on the upstairs. During the day it was usually too hot and stuffy to sit upstairs (and I like it hot!). There is a TV up there and a stocked fridge. Water is free. A couple of nice chairs and a sofa bed. The bathroom was fine, small but good with a shower. A couple of days they didn't spray against insects and despite taking precautions I did get bitten, so I specifically asked them to spray my room (it says in their bumph they do it every tea time but they didn't). The next day they did spray my room. The pool area is nice but if the hotel is full you will have trouble getting a seat. The location is great. 5 minutes away and you have a (very touristy) market and street full of bakeries, cafes, restaurants etc. You can arrange a tuk-tuk driver for temple tours through the hotel - they have certain drivers they use and you can pay via the hotel. My first impression when I saw my room was a bit disappointed actually, as it wasn't quite as "swish" as the website shows. If you expect something a bit tired, you'll be about right. Breakfast is included but is very basic. You can have bread and jam or oats. Anything else you pay extra for. I wasn't that impressed (at all) with the food and ate out most of the time. Without the pool I would rate it lower.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank SazzyBUk
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We stayed at the Golden Banana for 4 nights and had a great time. The room was lovely and competitively priced at $25 a night. The breakfast was OK for free, although we always had one extra item each day to fill us up for the temple-exploring!

The pool in the Boutique hotel was amazing - with salt water and the small water feature at the end - absolute heaven after days of endless sightseeing at Angkor Wat!
On our last day we hired bikes and rode in the pitch black to watch sunrise over AW - which I highly recommend, this was by far the highlight of the trip.

Staff were friendly although we had a bit of confusion with hiring the bikes the evening before the sunrise ride - make sure you treble check that the hotel have hired them for you and will have them waiting the next morning - we had to knock on the door and wake someone up to get our bikes at 5am, despite telling them about 3 times the previous night!

The hotel arranged a taxi to the Poipet border at Thailand which was good. Warning though - there is about a 30min stretch of the road in Cambodia-Poipet which is unfinished and is absolute hell in a car (god knows how horrific this is in the public bus) - I genuinely feared for my life 4 times over on this stretch of road - crazy crazy driving and animals and people in trucks way over the weight limit for bridges and even crazier moto drivers weaving in and out of spaces the size of a sheet of paper! I definitely do NOT recommend this - fly if you can get cheap-ish flights. However, once across the border, the road to Bangkok is absolutely fine!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple