“Nice Hotel, Good value with discounted price”

Angkor Village Hotel
Ranked #63 of 343 Hotels in Siem Reap
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Nice Hotel, Good value with discounted price”
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Good experience:
welcome drink and welcome fruit plate,
nice and clean room with some traditional decoration,
good view with the garden and pond,
fantastic order-to-eat breakfast (included),
no extra charge for the late check-out and a broken glass (by my son),
good facility - air-conditioned TV room, library and a pool under shade
good location, just 5 minutes walking to the Old Market,
almost no mosqitos at all which surprised me as our rooms are facing the pond,
good service, call up the technical at 10:00p.m. to fix the air-conditioner in my parents room

Not That Good Experience:
We booked 2 deluxe rooms facing the pond, by the time we got there (about 9:30p.m.), they told us all the deluxe rooms were occupied. After about 5-10 minutes arguing, as we insisted, they gave us two deluxe rooms, we went into our rooms and it was quite clean obvious there were nobody there before. Don't understand why they didn't give us at the first.
They smile any time they see you, but their English are not that good, make sure they understand your order.
2 bottles of water suppose to be provided to each room every day, but they only put one in your room, you have to ask for the 2nd bottle, o.k. they don't charge for that.
we had one dinner in their restaurant, the food is so so, the price is a rip off comparing to other restaurants in Siem Reap, again, you don't have to eat there.

Overall, it's a very nice hotel, my parents enjoyed a lot since the weather is too hot for them. We got it from Agoda at 50% off, so it's US$80 including tax. I don't think I will go with the full price.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank peanuts2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Makati
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We stayed in the hotel for 4 days and 3 nights with my friends.., we were so tired traveling from Philippines to Bangkok then to Cambodia , (Siem Reap).. on the outside the place is not that attractive not too appealing.., but when we get inside.., me and my friends we're jumping with soo much joy.. the place defines the word vacations, relaxation :) and if you are into vacation really i think it would be a better place than stay in a luxurious hotel that y our city has too.., i like the rooms, the fountain, the lotus flowers they are all nice.., very very charming place

all of the ladies there who served us are sooo friendly they just keep on smiling and attending to whatever needs that we have.. there was on time, wherein we have to leave the hotel at around 5:20 am and so we cannot get our free breakfast.., you know what they did? they prepared a small picnic basket for us for our tour .., sweet - wink*

We also tried their spa.., well i think its too much though,, the hotel exceeded our expectation but i think the therapist need to have more trainings but you will love the spa resort too.. just don't like the service though... but they are all friendly no question on that..,

It is so close to Pub street and you can have easy access to your night life.., the place looks so safe too though you are traveling alone :)
i would love to go back for a honey moon..,

Thanks,
jean

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Manila
Reviewed 13 April 2010

The hotel was like an oasis after my long road trip from Bangkok to Siem Reap. It was so amazing to find a little piece of heaven tucked among the small roads of the charming town. This surely beats staying at a large swanky hotel which u can find in any big city. I felt like I was REALLY on a vacation when I was inside the hotel. It fit Siem Reap just right. We had our own cottage for a room, with an amazing view of the center of the "village" which was a pond full of greenery and floating lotus flowers. The room was huge! The decor was perfect! The bed looked fabulous! And I loved the rainshower! It seemed like a perfect place for a honeymoon =)

The pool was a short walking distance from my cottage, in fact, from any other cottage as well...and the walk was always a pleasure - so much greenery!

The staff were all very very friendly. It seemed that they knew us very well and they attended to our needs very graciously. On our first day, we wanted to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat, which meant we had to leave very early, before the dining room opened. When the staff knew about our plan, they packed a really lovely picnic basket for us. It came complete with lovely dinnerware. They also packed food for us when were heading back to the border on our last day. I have not experienced this kind of service in the big hotels. I loved it!

I loved the place so much I can't stop talking about it to friends who want to go to Siem Reap too! =)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Brisbane
Reviewed 22 March 2010

The whole experience was awful and with no redeeming features. Oh no - there is one - it's fairly convenient to some decent restaurants.

Firstly - we thought we had booked the Angkor Village Resort. That was the price we paid ($190 USD per night) and when we called the number on the confirmation form from Phnom Penh the day before, they confirmed that was where we were to be taken.

We arrived at the very lovely Resort to be told we were meant to be at the Angkor Village Hotel and offered to get a tuk tuk for us as our driver had already left. It was plain to see that we and our luggage were not going to fit in a tuk tuk. We pointed this out and they reluctantly agreed to organise a lift to the Hotel.

My first thought as I walked in was: this is not a $190/night hotel .The place looks worn and run down, the decking is rotten and broken in places, the garden needs weeding. The whole place needs a good spit and polish.

Then we got to our room.....The room was dank and mouldy smelling and about 5 years overdue for a refurbish. There was mildew growing on the inside of the cupboards, cracked tiles in the horrible outdated bathroom, peeling plaster on the ceiling and the floor boards were buckled and desperately in need of resanding and polishing. And this was an allegedly a deluxe room. A deluxe room because it faced the garden and water - where everyone can see into your room even with the white curtains drawn .... which i learned the hard way when i was getting changed one afternoon and my partner came in to tell me that i could be seen from outside. Our curtains remained drawn the rest of the stay - making a garden view redundant.

The air conditioning is also about 10 years over due for replacement and is extrememly noisy...like having an engine in the room....which every now and then shakes and sputters. Hardly conducive to a good night's sleep. But then you couldn't get a sleep in or an afternoon nap either with the construction noise.

Over the next four days the service was abysmal.....

Breakfast was awful....we'd ask for egss and bacon on toast. A simple enough request you would think...but the eggs would arrive without toast, we'd ask for toast and by the time it arrived (without butter) the eggs were cold and congeeled. We'd ask for butter and by the time it arrived the eggs and the toast were both cold. And this happened to us one at a time - it would appear that they were incapable of serving meals at the same time. After two mornings we gave up after 2 mornings and tried the pancakes - but these were cooked to a crisp and delivered 5 minutes apart as well.....do they only have one frypan in the kitchen? they certainly never had more than 2 tables to serve at a time even though there were half a dozen staff that we could see.

Every time we made a request it had to be followed up three times - whether this was having our laundry collected or a car booking made. The final straw for me was our second last day when, on our way out to lunch, I asked for our driver to collect me at 4.30pm. My partner had a business meeting and I decided to go to see a couple of ruins as well as the sunset. At 4.45 the driver (who had always been early in the past) was not there so my partner went to reception and asked about the car. They had FORGOTTEN to call him and by the time he arrived the temples I had planned to visit were closed and I lost my last chance to see them. I was furious - you might accept this from a $40 a night place but at $190 a night you expect better performance.

Even sitting at the bar before going out to dinner one night we had to repeat our orders 3 times before we managed to receive them.....a simple gin and tonic and a plain soda water.

Then there was the laundry - every other hotel we have stayed at in our very extensive travels uses a litte iron-on tag to mark the room number on your clothes. They used an INK PEN. They WROTE the room number using PEN on my good white linen shirts and the ink transferred from the back collar of one shirt onto the back of the shirt folded on top of it. A $100 white linen shirt now has ink stains on it. I am dumbstruck at this. And furious.

Then we got a phone call from the hotel agency/aggregator demanding payment of their commission with some lame excuse that Cambodian banks could not organise transfers or some such lie. We refused to pay and said we would pay the hotel and they could work out their commission from the hotel. This did not go down well where upon this girl turned up at the hotel and we told her exactly what our experience had been like. At this point we discovered that we had indeed been charged the Resort rates but received the awful Hotel experience.

That night we went to dinner at Abacus (a very good restaurant) and had a good chat with the french owner. He said that he had heard many such stories about the Angkor Village Hotel and that we really ought to get in touch with the owner/manager - a french or german man that until then we had seen no sign of.

When we checked out the next day this manager magically appeared - we described all the above grievances (and more) and while he feigned concern i didn't not consider it to be sincere - there was certainly no offer of recompense though we did pay the published rate and not the inflated resort rate however this was still far too much for what it delivered.

I will stop here: Avoid this hotel at all costs - for the price they ask you can stay at much better places - the FCC for example would be much much better and their restaurant is really good.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BrisbaneSare
Philadelphia, USA
Reviewed 2 March 2010

This was the most serene atmosphere I have ever seen in a hotel. Although close to the main strip (Pub street area), it is totally insulated and peaceful. It is like a beautiful manicured village around a pond. The pond is full of lotuses of various colors.

In previous reviews some people have complained about the bathroom being old. It is fine and quite adequate. There is no tub but in warm countries people don't get into tubs. The owners should, however, install glass doors in the showers, so that water does not spill out during a shower. Even when that happens, the cleaners come on their own and clean it up without you telling anyone.

The front office girls and the waitresses are always smiling and speak good English. They let us stay an extra 4 hours as our flight was later in the day.

The restaurant is a bit expensive for Siem Reap standards, but you don't have to eat there. There are many places nearby.

Overall a very peaceful and calming environment and would love to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple