“Lovely Boutique Hotel in Seim Reap” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Crown Hotel

Royal Crown Hotel
Ranked #106 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
waterloo, ontario
“Lovely Boutique Hotel in Seim Reap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We loved this small Colonial-style boutique hotel. Unfortunately we could only stay here for 1 night in January because they were booked the next 2 nights we were in Siem Reap. The staff was extremely polite and helpful, greeting us with a welcome drink and cold cloth to wash off the travel grime after an 8 hour bus ride from Bangkok. When they couldn't accomodate us the 2nd and 3rd nights, the front desk found us another hotel to stay at and arranged a tuk tuk to take us there. The staff also arranged a tuk tuk driver to take us to the highlights of Angkor Wat the next day.
The hotel lobby is gorgeous, the pool is small but in a lovely garden setting. The breakfast buffet was very good with lots of variety.
The hotel is also in a great location, a ten minute walk to Pub Street which is definitely worth checking out at night. Lots of restaurants, bars and shopping. It was definitely worth the price of $45.00.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laurWaterloo_Ontario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The main reason for booking this hotel was the relatively low price. When we arrived at the hotel we were therefore pleasantly surprised that it was actually a pretty nice hotel situated at a walking distance from the old market and the night market.

The hotel and room was clean and the complementary breakfast was good with ample choice between western and asian food. The hotel offers free wifi internet access and has a small swimming pool. The staff is very helpful and friendly.

Only downside was the size of our room. We had booked a triple room and from the pictures I had seen such a room is pretty spacious with one single bed and a double bed. The room that we got was about half the size from what I saw on the pictures and had two actual single beds and a camp bed. Although this arrangement was sufficient for a good nights rest it was far from ideal as we had a lot of luggage. I would therefore suggest that potential guests ask for the larger room when checking in (something I should have done as well).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Billingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Royal Crown Hotel is on the outskirts of Siem Reap, within a 5-minute walk of the town centre with its crowds, bars, restaurants and markets. Our rooms were extremely spacious and clean. Unfortunately, my room looked out on a building site (as related by Newmorton in her review). It would have been impossible to nap between the hours of 7am and 5pm, but then........we had booked a van, driver and guide, through the hotel, for the duration of our stay, so I didn't bother requesting to change rooms. It would have probably been pointless as the hotel was overbooked in any case. [That could have been a problem!!! We were asked to pay for our rooms on arrival and after we had done so, the manager told us that we would have to move to a different hotel, after 2 nights, as he was overbooked. We argued the toss and, in the end, we were told that we would not have to move. ] That issue aside, the manager, Mr Leng Meng Srong, was charming. He was so charming, that I felt guilty about not moving out to the upgraded hotel offered. BUT we didn't want to split our stay. By return email, after booking the hotel, Mr Leng Meng Srong had offered us an itinerary to view the ruins. We took up this offer and were delighted that we had. The days were well-planned and the guide very informative. The staff were all very friendly. I have no qualms about recommending the Royal Crown and would stay there again should I visit Siem Reap. Mind you.............there are now so many hotels, and the place is so packed, it is becoming a victim of its success.

Room Tip: If travelling in the next 6 months............ask for a room away from the building work.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I spent 4 days at this hotel while I 'did the temples'. Location was absolutely perfect. It was just a few minutes' stroll to the night market & Pub Street.
The staff were very polite & helpful.
My initial room looked lovely until I opened the curtains. I then noticed that there was scaffolding about 2 feet away from the window & major building works going on next door. I have never asked to change rooms before in my life but really needed to see some sunlight & not hear building noise. The girl on reception was very sweet & found me another room immediately. My new room was lovely, very spacious with a good bathroom (& bathtub which had been lacking in my 2 previous hotels).
Desk, lighting & plug points were all good for me to use my laptop (not always ideal in other hotels).
A previous reviewer mentioned the hard mattresses. I agree, it was a 'bit of a shock' when I sat on the bed. However, once I was in bed I was absolutely fine & got a good night's sleep - it was probably good for the back!
The breakfast buffet was excellent. One of the days we only got a 'limited choice' menu to choose from. I suspect that when there weren't enough guests then they didn't bother with the full buffet (which was a shame).
The swimming pool was very welcome at the end of a very hot & dusty day of 'doing temples'. It was a reasonable size & there were enough sun beds when I wanted one. The pool area was a bit 'tired' & could maybe do with a bit of a revamp. Some of the plant pots were cracked. Some plants looked a bit tatty. Everything was very dusty. Towels for the pool were on a 'only 1 towel per person per day'. Getting into the pool wasn't easy as you had to negotiate a prickly plant & then step down from a plastic sort of platform at the end which didn't feel too safe.
I am happy to recommend this hotel & if I visited again I would definitely re-book.
Christine Bennett

Room Tip: Lift only goes to the 4th floor so if you are on the 5th floor then you have to walk the last bit...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Room I stayed in at Royal Crown Hotel in Siem Reap was spacious, clean and well decorated. Staff is professional, perhaps some of them too eager to help or guide. The location of the hotel is walking distance from the market where there are several eating joints. There aren't that many amenities in the hotel. So if you were to take a break from all the site-seeing and wanted to chill in the pool you will find the pool is too small in an awkward location. Their buffet breakfast is strictly OK. I guess that's what you get for the price you pay.
Overall I had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Had a wonderful week-long stay at the Royal Crown. The location is excellent- about 3 minutes walking distance to Pub Street and the Old Market. Also about a 10 minute drive to the main Angkor Temple Complex. The staff are incredibly helpful and accommodating. The breakfasts are good- loved the warm croissants. The room (511) was large, had a nice bathroom, and tons of light (5 windows). Room service (sandwich and french fries) was very inexpensive ($3) and tasty. Excellent stay!

Room Tip: The 4th and 5th floors are nice- however the elevator only goes to the 4th floor (one flight to walk...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Adelaide
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Great looking hotel, excellent location, the staff were beyond amazing they were so nice and attentive it was almost to much! The pool is nice but small, not many deck chairs and no shade. The rooms are large and attractive however the beds are really really hard and made for a bad nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends