“not a 4 star hotel - see my pictures”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Angkor Hotel

Angkor Hotel
Ranked #256 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Brisbane, Australia
“not a 4 star hotel - see my pictures”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

Hello,

I am always reluctant to leave negative feedback. But I think this hotel misrepresents itself. The general Ambiance is good and the lobby and general staff are very warm and welcoming. However, if you look through the reviews for all Cambodian hotels/guest houses they all have great customer service.

The hotel is a bit dated the outside areas areas are in need of maintenance. The place doesn't quite look like the photos. I had to go carefully through the photos to make sure i was leaving feedback in the right place (it not that much of a difference however everything in Siem Reap generally has the words Angkor and Hotel in it).

The Management staff were not very helpful. In fact there were even a few occasions where staff had quoted me one price on a tour/massage/etc and the manager added $10USD on top. When I politely declined - he offered to discount by $3. The next time I went to the front desk he smiled and offered me a $10 discount (urrr.. to late). I have traveled through SE Asia a bit so know when not to take things at face value.

My main issue was the bathroom.... I tend to judge a place on its bathroom. The bathroom is substandard. clearly there has been some maintenance work done however it is gross... there is raw grout all over the place, broken tiles. Mold in some areas - I went to the trouble of taking photos to give you an idea.

Additionally, the in room safe does not fit a small laptop - management did not sympathize with this issue. The alternative was to give it to reception to lock away (ummm i brought my laptop along for convenience).

The TV is not a flat screen (I didn't have an issue with this because i didnt really watch TV - however the photos show a flat screen). It's an old school analogue. Works fine though.

The prices of food, drinks, laundry are very overpriced in the hotel. If you do stay - directly across the road they charge $1kg (as apposed to per item cost in the hotel).
Most hotels and guest houses have links to good tuktuks and taxis so that their clients have a good experience. At this hotel - drivers hang around the front of the hotel. Every Tuk Tuk will try to get your business again the next day - I didn't really find anyone that was worth taking again, also, they have very sporadic income, so i preferred not to have the same driver to share the $s around. This makes it awkward when you are coming and going from the hotel as the drivers will call out why didn't you go with them. I just smiled and waved and they returned the sentiment...but it was still awkward. The guard should really make sure that this doesn't happen.

I suspect that the second wing of this hotel is in a much better condition given the healthier reviews on trip advisor. Overall, I regretted prebooking 5 nights of accommodation. I would recommend that you book a few nights at your chosen hotel and then extend - everyone has wifi so it's not a huge hassle to find somewhere else.

Oh also the bed is very hard and uncomfortable. however the room is quite big and is nicely furnished. The bathroom was the main turn-off.
Breakfast is a boring selection...the menu doesnt change at all, one day the bread had run out by 7.30am...no comment. For a 4* I expected better.
Also, if you book a massage...it is not in the hotel! someone comes and pics you up and takes you to a massage place down a back alley. It was a good massage but it seemed like someones house. They offer in-room massages so that you don't catch on ;-).

Last but not least... you hear the doors of your neighbours opening and closing and all the chitter chatter in the hall way. The hotel was full of Koreans and Chinese while I was here...maybe they are just louder...but I doubt it.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom and ask for another one if it is unsuitable. Maybe check out the wing further awa...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank roshi_bris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
milton keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

We only stayed here one night, but thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel has an enormous amount of wood paneling and furniture all of which is quite spectacular. Our room was a good size and very clean, it was double aspect with a back exit which led down to the swimming pool. We had a swim in the pool which was very refreshing.
We ate in the restaurant, it was a set meal - very tasty and a reasonable price.
We would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Being 5 minutes from the centre of town, the Allson Angkok Paradisw Hotel was perfect to either do day-trips from or to use as a resort. The pool area was very pleasant and nice to hang-out at, as were the rooms. The staff really made this hotel and were generally interested in their guests. A bonus was that the staff were genuinely suprised and pleased when tipped.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank going_solo255060
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Spent two nights in the early Augest.

No much to say about this hotel cause I mainly spent the time outside in Angkor so I will just give a simple point-form review.

1. Friendly staff, speedy check in
2. Free pc @ lobby and free Wi-fi in the entire hote
(however my room is at the last of the hallway the signal is a joke)
3. Wired internet in room didnt worked too
4. Room is huge but the bed is small, standard "jack" size bed, it kinda look funny. Pillow is also too small.
5. Water pressure acceptable, but far from ideal
6. A bathtub was there, but the stains will keep you away from using it
7. The view is not bad from the balcony
8. Breakfast is acceptable, but far from ideal again
9. The pool next to the lobby is pretty nice, but it closes too early, like at 8pm

So I would say this is only an average stay, but considering the area, it is acceptable.

Room Tip: Higher level gives you better view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JustinW797
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

We were greeted by very friendly staff and upgraded to a Paradise room which is on the 5th floor and has great views. Things had started so well and we were feeling quite pleased with our choice. We went downstairs to the bar for lunch and thought we would order singapore slings to drink - the nivelty of cheap cocktails had not yet quite worn off. You can imagine our surpise when two glasses arrived that were grass green in colour. We checked with the staff and they assured us they were the right drink. I assumed maybe the lime juice had colouring in it so we started drinking. The taste was dreadful. It turned out they had put creme de menthe in the drink and insisted that was correct even when we showed them the recipe on the internet. Not a good start as the drinks were undrinkable and there was no offer to replace. When we went back to the room we noticed it hadnt cooled at all so we asked for maintenance to check. They came and adjusted the thermostat. On our way out to dinner we advised that the room had still not cooled and they said they would check again. We came back from dinner and there was little improvement. We thought perhaps this was the standard in Cambodia as no-one seemed too perturbed. That night we tossed and turned as they was literally no air movement. In the morning i opened up the door to the balcony and the air outside was the same temperature as the room. We contacted our travel agent who arrange for a move to the Sofitel. From this point I can only say how wonderful the staff were. The Manager spoke to us personally and apologised for the room not being changed. He also offered to refund the night's stay. I think i would still recommend this hotel simply because of the staff. But I would warn you that air conditioning in Cambodia is the same as anywhere else - although power outages are common.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aussie_travellers_90
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is a professionally run hotel, with highly attentive staff and full amenities such as buffet breakfast, nice pool, free wifi, The location is good the city centre, an easy 15min walk or tuk tuks to pub street.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Swanana
Pokolbin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Obviously the main reason to be here is Anghor Wat and if you stay over which you usually do, this is not a bad place to stay!
The staff are first rate, very helpful and attentive, and the place is clean neat and tidy, which possesses an old world charm, sort of Raffles like ?
There is obviously a lot of confusion with this hotel and others as I have read reviews describing the features of this place that aren't features of this place, eg the kidney shaped pool and the fifth floor, these don't exist folks, although there is a third floor and a lovely pool .
The small negatives are the lack of a safe in your room, the touts everywhere outside are lethal, and yes I hate to say it (I am the least racist person on the planet) the Korean Tourists, this group next to the Americans would have to be the loudest, rudest, most obnoxious gaggle of tourists I have seen !
The thing is, you aren't going to live here permanently so it is great for a crash over and the temples are just 30 mins up the road, and town 10 mins, and after you have seen the temples, anything including obnoxious Americans and Koreans, pale into insignificance !

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo