“Unless your tour bus stops here, there are better options in town”
Review of Angkor Hotel

Angkor Hotel
Ranked #260 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
Bellingham, Washington
“Unless your tour bus stops here, there are better options in town”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Someone on this trip told me that the average length of stay in Cambodia was 2.5 days. Plane loads of tourists depart from Seoul or Hong Kong arrive in Siem Reap, do two days touring the temples of Angkor Wat by bus and then depart. This hotel caters to that tourist crowd.

The lobby seemed alway full of either people waiting to board a bus or with luggage awaiting to go to the assigned room or the bus back to the airport. The staff seemed harried and overworked. A smile and a 'Thank you' or a small tip really seemed to brighten them.

The hallways are wide and echo quite a bit. Add in the solid wood doors to the rooms and you get quite a bit of noise when the groups are departing or returning to their rooms. I don't remember having to slam my door every time I left the room, but some of the doors must have been very hard to latch based on the noise level they caused.

The room was nice, and nothing stands out either good or bad about it. It must have had a hair dryer, a tea kettle. in room safe and toiletries or I would have noted it. The in room Wi-fi was a joke. My computer could see it, but never was able to connect even when the signal read 'Good'. I tried both hard wired computers in the lobby and could not connect to the internet on either one. When I asked the staff about it I got a "what can you do?" type of answer.

The bed was fine and the pillows plenty. The bathroom was clean as was the room. My belongings stayed safe and unmolested by housekeeping. The view from my room on the second floor (the one above the lobby) was of a large empty concrete expanse that could have held dozens of tables for events, but was devoid of anything. If my curtains were open anyone walking across this would be able to see directly into my room. I kept the curtains closed the entire time I was there.

The only meal I ate at the hotel was the free breakfast. The room was crowded and noisy. I just wanted to get in, get my breakfast and get out. I didn't feel like lingering over a second cup of coffee.

I stopped in the gift shop to get a postcard for a friend back home. The choices were minimal and some so old that they had started to yellow with age (really). The staff in the gift shop was very helpful in the sale and even affixed the stamps I bought from her to the cards.

I heard there was a pool on the property but did not pursue it.

As I said the staff seemed overworked and under appreciated. Which is a pity. They went out of their way to make certain that any requests I had were attended to quickly and efficently.

The plaque beside the entrance door had 4 stars on it. Maybe stars are awarded for things like, elevators and swimming pool. As far as 4 Stars from a tourist stand point this hotel just doesn't cut it.

Room Tip: If you want to be sure of any kind of view avoid the second floor (1st for those of you from Europe)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 April 2013

From the hotel website, it looks nice with those pictures. I would say the hotel is decent but over it's prime era. Please do no confuse with their sister hotel, Paradise Angkor which is located just down the same street.

The receptionists are friendly people but speak limited English, however, they are trying their best to understand English and offer their help. Generally, they are very helpful and polite.

The transparent lift at the lobby is unique, it can only fit max 2 small size adults without luggage and it's very ancient and slow, and its even faster to climb the stairs to the next level. However, I think it is useful for the elderly or special people.

Some part of the carpets have some kind of weird smell, but it's clean n not torn. The soundproof is weak in this hotel as when we walked pass-by some guest rooms, we can easily hear people's talking inside the room.

Our room overseeing the back of the hotel, which has some greeneries as compare to the one facing the main road. The bathroom looks alright, although can be improve. The water pressure is not strong so expect a longer shower. Although there's a tub attach to the shower, but it looks old n have yellow stains. Overall cleanliness of the bathroom n toilet is acceptable but definitely not a 4 Star standard. Air conditioning works well with our room n it's manually adjust. TV is available but we are out whole day and by the time we reach back to hotel is near midnight and sleeping hour so we don't even bother to switch on the TV. Tea and coffee facility is available and a mini fridge inside our room, functioning well. The furnitures are kinda old but still in good shape, so we have no issue on that.

The breakfast is just average, small scale kind of international breakfast with limited choice plus a few selections of fruits n cereals, and an egg station. Please go for the breakfast as early as possible because the big groups of asian mostly Chinese will flood the whole area by 7.30am-7.45am! It's annoyed when they don't Q for their food and just finished off the whole tray of food in just minutes, and some days the hotel will not fill it up anymore! For patrons who came in 15mins past 8 in the morning, there's hardly any food left. If you prefer to start your day with a peaceful breakfast, please go in for breakfast early, if possible by 7am-7.30am, because they start serving the breakfast quite early.

Swimming pool is clean. The gym is a joke, nothing works inside, include the treadmill.

There are a number of restaurants along the hotel n 2 convenient shops next to the hotel. Else, a larger shopping complex is just a mere 15-20mins walk from the hotel. It is also the one and only shopping complex with escalator. You can have more varieties of imported and local beer there.

The hotel location is not very far away from the happening area in town, a.k.a pub street. It's like about 8-10mins tuk-tuk ride only. It won't cost more than USD3 per tuk-tuk ride, they are quite competitive in taking passengers there so if they charge u higher, just bargain before you agree the ride. Some nights, we are just paying for USD2 per ride back to the hotel.

I would say, if you just want a clean n decent place to sleep at night, it's a decent hotel to put a few nights. Otherwise, there are a few upscale hotels just around the area.

Room Tip: Get a room facing behind the hotel for better greeneries, and perhaps quieter as compare to the one...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LWilsonn
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Our recent visit to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat was only enhanced by the hotel where we stayed, Allson Angkor. This is a beautiful hotel with an outstandingly furnished lobby. The rooms are spacious with excellent and modern facilities, including WiFi in the room. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. And the limited menu that was served in the lobby over a drink was especially good. The location of the hotel is central to anything happening in Siem Reap and it is not far from Angkor Watt... in fact Angkor Watt can be reached from the hotel by tuktuk. Also, the hotel is well situated to nice shopping, excellent restaurants, and may wonderful surpirses as one walks the streets nearby. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to both Allson Angkor and Siem Reap. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MojaveMax
Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2013

If you like Korean/Japanese/Chinese tourists in big tour buses - this is the hotel for you! We stayed at this hotel for nearly 20 days and I guess we have plenty to say and our observations should be a good account as we're not just catching them at a bad time.

The room was spacious enough and the wooden bed is a really nice design, although the mattress is a bit hard. The bathroom was clean enough but it was very, very old (cracked tiles etc). The bad thing about the room is the being able to hear other people in the corridor talking - although it might just be them being really loud.

Swimming pool is great! Especially if you just got back from the temples around midday - perfect spot to be in. The gym is a joke - it's more like a fitness equipment museum. The breakfast buffet is another review altogether. The food is average, and after having the same food for 20 mornings, it really gets to you. They don't change the menu much and there's not much variety to begin with. On top of that they stop the breakfast at 9, which is very early considering. If you're there at the wrong time you have to pretty much stand up to eat as there are too many other people there - people who are loud and cut queues and empty out the breakfast buffet faster than you can say Wat! The staff are friendly and would like to have a chat with you over breakfast to improve their English - which is nice enough but sometimes you just want to just have your breakfast and go, and not have much conversation at all - especially if the queue jumping people have set you in a bad mood.

The tuktuk drivers in front of the hotel can be very adamant about things, and be wary of those who try to take you to Tonle Sap (Chong Kneas) as I'm sure they're in on the whole scamming business. Because the hotel is quite a distance away from the city centre it's hard to avoid tuktuks. Also, the front of the hotel is currently undergoing some huge sewage construction so it looks nothing like the pictures, be aware.

On the last day of our stay apparently our travel agent had underbooked our stay so we had to pay at the desk upon check out. The hotel wanted to charge us twice what we paid and even after a long stay they didn't want to give us our original rate, which I felt wasn't very nice, given that we stayed for so long.

Anyway, if I could redo this experience I probably would not have chosen this hotel due to the distance from town and some other minor issues. It was an OK stay and is good value if you paid well in advance or if you come in a huge tour bus.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Egwene
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Hello,

I am always reluctant to leave negative feedback. But I think this hotel misrepresents itself. The general Ambiance is good and the lobby and general staff are very warm and welcoming. However, if you look through the reviews for all Cambodian hotels/guest houses they all have great customer service.

The hotel is a bit dated the outside areas areas are in need of maintenance. The place doesn't quite look like the photos. I had to go carefully through the photos to make sure i was leaving feedback in the right place (it not that much of a difference however everything in Siem Reap generally has the words Angkor and Hotel in it).

The Management staff were not very helpful. In fact there were even a few occasions where staff had quoted me one price on a tour/massage/etc and the manager added $10USD on top. When I politely declined - he offered to discount by $3. The next time I went to the front desk he smiled and offered me a $10 discount (urrr.. to late). I have traveled through SE Asia a bit so know when not to take things at face value.

My main issue was the bathroom.... I tend to judge a place on its bathroom. The bathroom is substandard. clearly there has been some maintenance work done however it is gross... there is raw grout all over the place, broken tiles. Mold in some areas - I went to the trouble of taking photos to give you an idea.

Additionally, the in room safe does not fit a small laptop - management did not sympathize with this issue. The alternative was to give it to reception to lock away (ummm i brought my laptop along for convenience).

The TV is not a flat screen (I didn't have an issue with this because i didnt really watch TV - however the photos show a flat screen). It's an old school analogue. Works fine though.

The prices of food, drinks, laundry are very overpriced in the hotel. If you do stay - directly across the road they charge $1kg (as apposed to per item cost in the hotel).
Most hotels and guest houses have links to good tuktuks and taxis so that their clients have a good experience. At this hotel - drivers hang around the front of the hotel. Every Tuk Tuk will try to get your business again the next day - I didn't really find anyone that was worth taking again, also, they have very sporadic income, so i preferred not to have the same driver to share the $s around. This makes it awkward when you are coming and going from the hotel as the drivers will call out why didn't you go with them. I just smiled and waved and they returned the sentiment...but it was still awkward. The guard should really make sure that this doesn't happen.

I suspect that the second wing of this hotel is in a much better condition given the healthier reviews on trip advisor. Overall, I regretted prebooking 5 nights of accommodation. I would recommend that you book a few nights at your chosen hotel and then extend - everyone has wifi so it's not a huge hassle to find somewhere else.

Oh also the bed is very hard and uncomfortable. however the room is quite big and is nicely furnished. The bathroom was the main turn-off.
Breakfast is a boring selection...the menu doesnt change at all, one day the bread had run out by 7.30am...no comment. For a 4* I expected better.
Also, if you book a massage...it is not in the hotel! someone comes and pics you up and takes you to a massage place down a back alley. It was a good massage but it seemed like someones house. They offer in-room massages so that you don't catch on ;-).

Last but not least... you hear the doors of your neighbours opening and closing and all the chitter chatter in the hall way. The hotel was full of Koreans and Chinese while I was here...maybe they are just louder...but I doubt it.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom and ask for another one if it is unsuitable. Maybe check out the wing further awa...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank roshi_bris

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

milton keynes
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We only stayed here one night, but thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel has an enormous amount of wood paneling and furniture all of which is quite spectacular. Our room was a good size and very clean, it was double aspect with a back exit which led down to the swimming pool. We had a swim in the pool which was very refreshing.
We ate in the restaurant, it was a set meal - very tasty and a reasonable price.
We would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Being 5 minutes from the centre of town, the Allson Angkok Paradisw Hotel was perfect to either do day-trips from or to use as a resort. The pool area was very pleasant and nice to hang-out at, as were the rooms. The staff really made this hotel and were generally interested in their guests. A bonus was that the staff were genuinely suprised and pleased when tipped.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo