Some previous reviewers of this resort have moaned about the following, "muddy road to resort", "pack of wild dogs bothering guests", "uninvited guests in the pool" (frogs), "far away from town".
I think the problem is two-fold:
1) People don't do their homework (locate the hotel on a map, etc)
2) People expect five star when it's a three star (in this case, the US$55/night price tag should be a hint).
So let me just set the record straight: Palm Village Resort is a few kilometers from town, so expect muddy and bumpy roads (until you hit the main road) and a 15 minute tuk tuk ride to go to the city centre. Due to its rural location, expect to hear (roosters) and see (frogs) some animals. The dogs are a pack of five or so cute munchkins and they are nothing to fear, just a little barky.
The saltwater pool was nice and we enjoyed a swim after tempelling all morning. We had the fan-powered family hut which comprised of three beds with mosquito net. Clean and simple but just what we needed. The kids (2 and 5) got a kick out of watching tv in bed!
We enjoyed beautiful breakfasts with fresh fruit, baguette, omelette and some awesome wake-me-up coffee. The Khmer food is also good for lunch and dinner but you have to order two hours ahead.
We also tried massage ($15) and the energising one was very good.
Note the huts are huts, therefore sound on the outside is very audible on the inside. Ear plugs are strongly recommended or else you won't be on good terms with that rooster a 3am....
Palm Village Resort is very good value and just 3km from Ankor Wat and the other amazing temples. You will have a great time here as long you know what to expect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestling in a quiet district of Siem Reap town, near the famed Angkor Wat temple, Palm Village offers you a unique accommodation with great hospitality, delicious Khmer cuisine, and relaxing massage & spa. Stay in one of the 18 exquisite bungalows and Khmer bamboo houses, made from local palm wood and bamboo furniture, and surrounded by green lush tropical garden. Whether you plan to have a short break, a family outing, or just to unwind from your hectic work, come to stay at Palm Village for a memorable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Palm Village Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palm Village Hotel Siem Reap
- Hotel Palm Village