Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“An excellent value for those on a budget but some issues”
Review of Viroth's Villa

Viroth's Villa
Ranked #4 of 493 B&Bs / Inns in Siem Reap
Denver
“An excellent value for those on a budget but some issues”
Reviewed 10 February 2008

While I agree with the positive recent reviews, the rooms are compact and if you have a lot of luggage, that could present a problem. I liked the quiet, side street location, and the very friendly and accommodating young staff is a big plus, no doubt. While the lack of a shower cutrain seemed odd, it presented no problem to us. We found the breakfast, served upstairs on the open air roof, more than adequate; actually it was quite tasty and well presented. The room, while far from spacious, was very clean and, while simply furnished, was very modern and not unattractive. Would I return if I went back to Siem Reap? Possibly, but not likely since I'd like more space. But let me reiterate: this hotel offers true value and is unarguably a bargain for the price. I have a hunch younger patrons would be quite happy here. Truth to tell, my criticisims notwithstanding, we enjoyed our stay.

One final note. You'll never have a better margarita than what we had in the upstairs bar--and i've had my share of them. Yummy! Strangely, the young bartender looked the least likely I've ever encountered to mix just a perfect cocktail. I doubt if he was over 23--can you believe he was a former rice farmer assisting his father on a nearby farm until he went to work at the hotel--and his boyish appearance made me wonder if he even knew what the drink was. Not to worry. After 5 minutes he returned with a bird-bath size glass containing the PERFECT margarita (lots of fresh lime juice and not lacking for tequila). This was our first night and, needless to say, the first of several I subsequently consumed during our 3-day stay. To top it off, these generous size margaritas were only $4. Hey, what not to like.
Herb Hallman
Denver, Colorado

Stayed January 2008
4 Thank Herbert Hallman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 10 February 2008

Fantastic experience. Best of all was the service, right from the first enquiry regarding reservations to the goodbyes at the end our trip. Well trained staff take all the hassles out of organisation transport and tours to the temples etc.
Rooms nice and pool are very cool.
Breakfast was okay, but by the 4th day, I could have done with a bit more variety, however with only 7 rooms, I understand this may be hard to provide without then wasting leftovers etc.

We would stay here again and that is quite a compliment from two rather picky travellers!!!

• Liked — the location and service
  • Disliked — the breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TaipeiVilla
israel
Reviewed 5 February 2008

We stayed for 4 nights. The location is good - 5 minutes walk to the old market where all the pubs/restaurants are (massage - go only to "you and me spa" near the main strret it's great) .very safe to walk around although the hotel is not really on the main road) but don't worry about it, any time you'll feel safe walking around. The hotel has no ammendeties (the pool is nice to look at don't think you'll wnjoy a lot using it, very small and it's the place for the tempals not for a pool).
Next to this hotel there is the Bopha hotel - very good location too you can check it (from the street it seems more populated).
The rooms are good, no mosqitos. The bathroom is OK - but the water are warm/vold changing all the time so it's a bit disturbing.
The hotel restaurant is 5 minute walk, very good.

1 Thank ohad
Copenhagen
Reviewed 5 February 2008

This was my second time in Siem Reap, and I was looking forward to staying at Viroth's Hotel, which I found out about by a coincidence. It's the right place to stay, if you are looking for a quiet, clean and super designed hotel in the middle of the city. It's a small oasis with only 7 rooms and a nice pool area to relax by, which is exactly what you need after walking through the temples the whole day. The breakfast is served on the spacey and lounge-like roof terrace. The staff is very helpful, and the overall atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. I will definitely stay at Viroth's Hotel the next time I visit Siem Reap, and the prices are good compared to the other hotels and their facilities.

• Liked — Lounge style, location, quiet and clean
  • Disliked — There is no door or wall between the bathroom and the bedroom, so don't be shy if you share the room.
Singapore
Reviewed 27 January 2008

Just got back from Siem Reap on friday and stayed at Viroth's Hotel. So here goes the review.

Location

Within the city. Short walk (e.g 5 minutes) to the center buzz of the city, pub street and old market area. The hotel is located at the quieter side of the river, and thus we enjoyed the short distance to all the vibes and the peaceful environment when we need to relax at night. Distance to Angkor Wat is ca 10 min drive away. We just need to make one 10 minute trip to and fro Angkor Wat, the rest of the time is just short trips within the temples. For other trips, we simply walk to wherever we want in the town due to the superb location. Therefore i would prefer the location of viroth's to hotels such as Le Meridian which is closer to angkor wat but further away from the town.

Hotel Facilities

As it is a 7 room boutique hotel, i would say that the facilities are sufficient. A pool, dining area and spa area are available for chilling out and relaxing.

Free wireless internet is available only from 7pm till 7am.

Transportation available by the hotel is a land cruiser and a 4 seater car. I used the land cruiser all the way during my stay with the hotel. Catering charges for the transport is dependent on the location. Reasonable i would say as compared to other hotels' charges. Travel around in land cruiser is comfortable. We avoided all the dusty roads as well as all the bumpy roads when we travel out to Kpal Spean and Put District.

Hotel Rooms

Decoration is reasonable good. Extremely unique setup. Open concept bathroom. Meaning basin area is open to the bedroom while the shower area has got no door. (Can be a problem if travel with friend of opposite sex. Note i said friend, not girlfriend or boyfriend.) Rainshower is the only option. (This can be quite inconvenient for people who want to wash particular parts of the body) Toilet wise, it is in a room. However, there is no ventilation in the toilet and thus can be quite a problem if someone in the room has a bad stomache.

Numerous power points. Therefore no problem on lack of power points which a lot of hotel face. Lighting is sufficient. Bright enough to work in the room if need to. No fridge or mini bar available. A small safe deposit box is available. Not big enough to put a laptop in it. No kettle available. Bottles of mineral water are provided daily. My room comes with a Balcony with two chairs. Can relax outside and do some reading. I think all rooms come with balconies. There are around 15 international TV channels such as HBO, cinemax, discovery, espn etc.

Bed is very clean and towels are changed daily. Room is cleaned daily. Due to the location, the room is very quiet at night.

Hotel Staff

Most impressed with all their staff. When we first reached there, when we were asking for something, they said that it is their responsibility to see to everything we want. Extremely accommodating.

When i asked if the hotel has traveler’s electrical plug, i was told that they do not have, but the next thing i know, they went to buy one to lend it to me! All my requests are attended to. Even when i was asking them casually if i can have ham to go with my toast the next day, they went to buy it for me for the next day breakfast without charging me.

They speak reasonably good English and have a good understanding of tourist needs. They are able to advice on the various trips that i intend to go.

They are very responsive in their email as well. They take only 1 day to reply to the hotel reservation.

They made the stay at viroth's very comfortable and personal one. I think it is partly because the boss of the hotel trained them well as well. Apparently i was told the Viroth's restaurant a few blocks away is rated the restaurant with the best service in Siem Reap and the boss is always there to ensure that the service and the food is tip top. The boss is a super nice and friendly guy as well.

Others

The breakfast of the hotel is ala cart style. Not a big spread, but reasonable due to the size of the hotel. Really impressed with the request for the ham. (not so much of the value of the ham, but rather their service to ensure that the client gets what they want)

The viroth restuarant few blocks away is a must try as well. Fine cambodia dining at an affordable price. In fact, their desserts are even cheaper than some other cafe in the city. Exceptional service there as mentioned above.

Overall, a great hotel with great characteristic. Price of 60 usd a night makes it even more attractive. Will definitely recommend friends to stay there when they travel to cambodia.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Nil
3 Thank CepheusC
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 January 2008

Virorth's is a great boutique hotel in Siem Reap. It was lovely to come back to after a long, hot day at Angkor. Some tuktuk drivers don't know where it is, but it's right near the Bopha, a well-known hotel.

The room was well designed, stylish and spotless. Beds are very firm, but I have found this to be the case across Asia so I can't fault them for that. I loved the rainfall shower head in the shower.

Breakfast on the roof was nice, the croissants were great. You can get eggs cooked to order which was a nice treat after some lackluster hotel breakfasts.

There is construction noise, looks like there's a large hotel being build directly across the street. It was slightly irritating when were were lying by the pool but again, I can't fault them here. I'd definitely stay at Viroths' again in Siem Reap.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 January 2008

I can recommend this hotel; it's clean, very friendly staff and has a swimming pool. The breakfast was also good!

• Liked — Design, friendly and helpful staff, breakfast and pool
  • Disliked — There is no door to the shower
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends