“Very good hotel”

Ranked #88 of 343 Hotels in Siem Reap
London, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed here for 3 days and was very happy with the hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable, breakfast excellent and the staff very helpful and charming. The only thing that I was not entirely happy with is that I was on the ground floor on the inside which meant that I was on the same level as reception and had the outside seating from the restaurant outside my room and it was the walk through to the pool. The first night was a nightmare with people going up and down outside the room and talking and shouting, very noisy, In addition to the noise it is not helped that the rooms are not very well soundproofed, I could hear very clearly the people next door talking early morning. If you can, request a room off this level, the higher the better. This apart I liked the hotel which is about a 25 minute walk from the centre is you are so inclined.

Room Tip: Try and get a room as high up as possible as it can be noisy on the ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Taki P
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this website.

Dear Valued Client,

Whilst I was glad to read that you found our team to be welcoming, I was sorry to learn that you experienced some shortfalls on the room assignment while our peak occupancy, and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We value all our guests’ thoughts on their experience, as they allow us to monitor and continuously improve the service we are providing. I would like to assure you that your feedback has been passed on to our teams for their investigation, and any relevant retraining will of course take place.

I am glad that you found our location to be so convenient for your time with us.

Hope to have chance to welcoming you back on the next return.

Tara Angkor Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I'll make this short and simple! I am not staying anywhere else for my next visit to Siem Reap coz' I found my home at The Tara Angkor. The staffs worthy of mention are the following:

1. Hyugaji Katsuya - Asst. Manager
2. Hok Seng - Reception
3. Chum Kheng - Bell Service
4. Phoy Sovannale - Bell Driver
5. Lay - Coffeehouse

Excellent location, tasty food, beautiful ambience, well appointed rooms, wonderfull staffs! Well done.....

Also, for Tuk Tuk service.... ask for Mr. Cham. Probably the most decent, sincere and honest Tuk Tuk driver around. The hotel can assist to reach him on request but he normally waits outside the hotel lobby to your left.

Thanks for everything team and hope to see u all on my next visit soon!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pravindran S
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Valued Client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

It is not only a pleasure to learn when our guests choose to stay with us not only for the occasion but leisure with home away home feeling also notice, but more so that our team were able to make these stay so memorable. It was a delight to read your kind words with all compliment to all list of the staffs, indeed it will be my pleasure to share your comments with our team members mentioned.

I am delighted to read that you will be back to stay with us, and I very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you to your home away from home.

Kind Regards

Wales
Reviewed 1 February 2014

All the staff were excellent, friendly , helpful...
Enjoyed the Breakfast every morning , as varied and interesting , eggs cooked to order, although I'm not vegetarian , good choice if wanted,
Would definitely make this hotel my choice in Siem Reap.

No big deal but most morning very early morning calls could be heard, telephones from other rooms, put it down to tours going to see sunrise over Angkor Wat,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Valued Client,

We were greatly concerned to learn that your time with us did not meet your expectations, nor did it meet the high standards we have set for ourselves, and that our guests have come to expect from us. I would therefore like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.
hank you once again for sharing your feedback. We do genuinely value all our guests’ comments, as they provide us with the opportunity to continuously improve the service we are providing.

Best Regards

Nazeing, Essex, UK
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel specifically to undertake a two day tour of Angkor and the temples. The hotel looks attractive, felt good to stay in and met all our requirements. It was short distance to the airport and close to where we wanted to visit. It was modern, the staff were charming, helpful and efficient. The rooms were fairly large, well equipped, the bed was huge and comfortable and the bathroom was fine but not very attractive because of the choice of dark wood and tiles which made it gloomy. Important to us was the Wifi which was free and easy to use unlike some hotels. It was slow at times but we expected that as Cambodia is just developing.

The breakfast met all our needs, plenty of choice and good quality. We ate in the central open area instead of the breakfast room normally on our own as others must have felt it was too chilly. We also ate in the hotel in the evening on couple of occasions as the food was excellent and good value.

Overall a good hotel and recommended.

Room Tip: We had room 427 which looked down into central area of hotel. The room in theory had a balcony but i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Client,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience in our hotel, and I am so pleased to see that you were able to make good use of our variety of restaurants and facilities throughout your stay. Your encounter with our team and their attentiveness seem to have made an impression, which is lovely to read.

Stamford Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel in January for four nights. Initially it was very good and clean. We had to pay an extra $80 for a room with a view of the inner courtyard, however you need to step over a two foot wall to see the courtyard where there was no place to sit. The room was fine but although it was renovated it needed a bit more attention to details. Breakfast was OK but mainly orientated to the hundreds of Asian one night visitors. Evening meals were poor and the food / plates were cold, surely not in a 4 star hotel?? A disappointment indeed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear valued client,

I was greatly concerned to learn that your time with us did not meet your expectations, nor did it meet the high standards we have set for ourselves, and that our guests have come to expect from us. I would therefore like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards

Stevenson Ranch, California
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed here in January and we were both pleasantly surprised at just how nice this hotel is. The staff, rooms, pool, buffet breakfast were all excellent. The hotel is only a $2 tuk tuk ride from downtown. I would absolutely stay here again. I consider it a very good value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this website.

I was delighted to read that your daughter and you enjoyed your time with us so much, and that your experience was so memorable. I was pleased to read that you found our particular staffs and facilities room, pool, breakfast and great location as in the middle between Angkor Wat and Town.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Tara Angkor team
London
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Excellent value hotel, beautiful lobby, no real lounge area to relax in though. Lovely cafe, really good coffee and cake! Breakfast was fine, adequate choice. The pool was small but clean and never busy. Food by the pool was good and they had a great choice of fruit cocktails. We had one of the cheapest rooms which was ok and it was kept very clean, view not too good but we didn't pay for one! Shower was over the bath, but the bath was really wide so not a problem and there seemed to be plenty of hot water. Beds were ok, not bad but not good.
It's location was ok, close to the markets and heart of the town. They had their own tuk tuk's, well I don't suppose they belonged to the hotel but drivers who they regularily used. The concierge has a book with the tuk tuk numbers and photos of the drivers. I went about a bit on my own and I thought this was a good idea. They'll wait for you, just agree the rate upfront.
We booked a tour through the front desk, wouldn't recommend. It was meant to be a full day (6-8 hours) and we paid extra for the early start to see the sunrise. We were picked up as planned, although all the guides stood talking amongst themselves and it's only if you went up and interupted did you find out if one of them was for you. We then saw the sunrise and as agreed went back to the hotel for breakfast. We asked to be picked up again at 9 but the guide said the sites and roads would be too busy so he picked us up at 10:30. By 1:00 he said he's finished the tour and was talking us back to the hotel, when I very politely asked saying it was meant to be a full day he got angry stating he hadn't eaten, there wasn't anywhere else to go and that the hotel must have given us incorrect information. So as we were the vistors in Cambodia, wanted to stay safe and have a nice time we just went back to the hotel and hired a tuk tuk for the rest of the day. So over $110 for about 5.5 hours. The hotel was eager to point out that the tours are by an outside company thus relinquishing them of any responsibility. However if there's a problem on a tour they blame the hotel and say it's the hotels fault for misselling it. So it's a win win for them and it's the tourists who lose out. This is the first time a tour, booked through a hotel has gone wrong so we're just chalking it up to experience.
The staff were lovely, some were quite reserved but if you asked you were helped. Those at check in desks, although they tried to be helpful, thier english wasn't always too good and some seemed quite inexperienced. So I learnt that if it was complicated I'd ask to see someone senior hoping not to give offense. Check in was quite slow, although you got a lovely drink and with check out they sent someone to check the room before we were allowed to leave? Seemed odd don't know if that has happened to others...
Overall it's a good hotel and we'd go back again, just wouldn't book tours through them.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued client,

Thank you for your taking time to review us on this website.

firstly, I would like to express our sincere thank you for your chosen us to stay during visit World heritage Angkor Wat.

Deepest apologies for case of tour arrangement, since we are working with local travel by long term your comment about tour guide behaviour is valued so we forward unmemorable experience to them for review and take appropriate action seriously.

Actually, 1 full day tour will be 8 hours ( morning from 8 to 11 am and afternoon start 1 or 2 until 5 pm) or depend on the guest request by mainly at Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, Ta prom only if guest prefer to ahead by extra itinerary such sunrise, sun set or Bantean srey, of course need to pay an extra.
The itinerary is fixed program by travel agent and tour guide have no right to refuse such leave early or pick up late even push guest to another program.

The rest of check in and check out included English, kindly note that our training program is included this session seriously.