“More italian than being in Italy”

L'Italien Piccola Venezia
Ranked #8 of 80 Restaurants in Douala
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Baabdat, Lebanon
“More italian than being in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

Despite the unusual entrance, which is the same everywher in Douala, the interior is quite cosy. It remains relatively a small place that accomodates few tables but the food experience is awesome.

My confusion to selecting from the menu led me to the chef's special which is an option out of three but since I couldn't make my mind, the chef arranged 3 small portion of each speciality...and it was amasing with all the flavors going in one after the others (the chef advised how to go in by order of platters)

Have the chef's special without a doubt

Forchheim, Germany
“Just for Europeans”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I went to the Piccola Venezia quite a few times on my own, as my Cameroonian partner doesn't like it, as they do not really offer any african fresh dishes. Their price range puts them out of the question for most Cameroonians as well - but their their italian dishes are good. Compared to other places in Douala the atmosphere is pretty stiff, as there are too many Europeans just passing through on a company budget. Their service at the table is good

• Visited December 2011
Quebec City, Canada
“Best Restaurant in Douala”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

When it comes to pasta, it can hardly get any better. I am a pasta lover and a pasta maker. The way Ezio prepares them is fantastic. Ask for the chef suggestion, which is outside the menu. The ambiance is friendly and the atmosphere is good for any occasion: casual, colleagues, friends, couples, family. For me Piccola Venezia is the best restaurant in Douala. The quality easily compares to that of Italy or top Italian food abroad. Plus, limoncello is offered at the end of the meal.

• Visited February 2012
Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Excellent pasta--if pricey--but worth it for that special night out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

My spouse and I plus two colleagues greatly enjoyed this restaurant. We split two salads as entrees--very good with fresh ingredients. But what set the meal apart was the outstanding pasta.

I chose the spaghetti with shrimp, bacon, and lightly peppered white sauce (sort of a spicy spaghetti carbonara with shrimp). It was out of this world good. Shrimp were plentiful and fresh, the piment seasoning just right to give it some zing, and the spaghetti perfectly cooked. Okay--it set me back $18, but this is Douala--city of the high-priced European restaurants. My spouse had an excellent seafood ravioli and our two guests had pasta with four cheeses and another pasta dish with local seafood. All were very very tasty but I still have to give my highest recommendation to the spicy spaghetti with shrimp.

Wine was priced a bit high, but not outrageous--we had a nice tuscan red for about $30. Other wines were available in that price range, but not many cheaper.

Interior is nicely decorated, if typical, Italian-style family restaurant. The exterior could use a paint job and some sprucing up (it was one reason we didn't go there for our first few months in Douala--but numerous friends' recommendations got us to venture past the rough exterior).

Bottom line: if you are in Italy, this would rate as a very good, middle-of-the-road family restaurant. Not bad, but in Douala, it's got the best Italian food around, so I'll give it a strong, albeit local four stars.

• Visited January 2012
Bucharest, Romania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

Really good Italian food; good service. Nice setting. I strongly recommend.
If you want a taste of their panna cotta, you'd better call in advance to check though :-)

Visited June 2011