“Putre: entrance to UNESCO Biosphere site and many other parks.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Parque Nacional Lauca

Parque Nacional Lauca
Ranked #3 of 43 things to do in Arica
More attraction details
Owner description: This national park is home to vicuna, alpaca, wild chinchilla and many other indigenous Chilean animal species.
Arica, Chile
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Putre: entrance to UNESCO Biosphere site and many other parks.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2008

Considering that this area -starting from Putre and bordering Bolivia- has some of the best natural attractions I've ver seen, I'm wondering why it is still (maybe not for long...) so calm and genuine. People in Chile say that it will be another San pedro de Atacama. I like the area so much that I do hope it will not be a second "San Pedro". It is so nice not to see tourists anywhere and enjoy these nature wonders on your own.

I spent a few days in Putre because I went to see most of the parks around: Lauca (UNESCO Biosphere); Las Vicunas (don't limit yourself to the path provided -here are the vizcachas which you can almost touch, but cross the road and climb the easy and gentle hill in order to see more animals, birds and scenic views, volcanoes included); Lake Chungará and Cotacotani Lagoon, where there are flamingoes and other bird species; if you can, go to visit Surire as well and you will probably meet "nandus" (a ostrich-like bird).

I suggest you walk at night if the sky is clear; if there is the full moon you can easily read a book and if there is no moon it is even better because you can see thousands of stars thanks to the Atacama desert dryness (it seems that there is a project to build an observatory on the way to Arica).
In Putre (a friend told me) there are chances to spot "colibrís" (hummingbirds). Fortunately I saw them around Arica and Valle de Azapa.

About the accomodation in Putre: from basic to OK, with hot water. A few have heating too but not for budget travellers' pockets. Some Europeans are investing in accomodation facilities and I do hope there will be better choice and quality in a near future. I don't know about the thermal pools around Putre because I didn't have enough time.

To see the region I rented a car in Iquique (better choice)but I could have done the same in Arica; if you want to save money buy the local newspaper (Estrella de Arica) and search under VEHICULOS ARRIENDAN (car rental), where privates rent cars starting at $10.000 pesos (ten thousand) per day. Don't forget to have enough petrol if you are not close to Arica.

12 Thank FLAVIOVIVA

• Chinese (Traditional) first
bc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“a Must Do for the adventurous traveller!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

amazing sites! bring your good camera!!! and polarizer filter, too.

we took the 2 day tour that stays in putre overnight.
a good idea as this most suffer from high altitude sickness. which is basically a really bad headache, and slower breathing.

the vicuna are adorable, the mountains with glaciers are breathtaking. you also see these adorable animals that are a go between a bunny and a kangaroo. this trip also has real mud bath hot springs, so bring your bathing suite.

in arica, our tour guide, ´rick´is english speaking and originally from belguim.

great fun.

5 Thank playadecoco
A TripAdvisor Member
“Lauca National Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2004

During a trip to Chile and Arica, where we have friends who live thee, I had the chance to visit Lauca National Park. It is a World bisosphere reserve. It is 75.000 acres in size. What made the trip interesting was the variety of plant and animal life that live in the park. Making it one of the most beautiful place I ve seen.

It is very high in altitude, so you have to travel in a 2 day tour format (sleeping in Putre, which is the ideal geographic place to aclimate to there being less oxygen.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to see one of the world s most beautiful parks (entrance is free) and an experience you will never forget.

Reccomended agency: www.andeantours.cl