“Omar is the Bestest! Kawashkar was very comfortable.”

Backpackers Kawashkar
Backpackers Kawashkar
Santiago, Chile
“Omar is the Bestest! Kawashkar was very comfortable.”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

It was a great hostel. I had a bed in a 6 bed girls dorm, which I shared with one other girl. Omar was very welcoming and and informative. He helped me with booking tours and bus tickets. He even recommended that I join a group of guys staying there, who were independently trekking, but I was too lazy to do a 9 hrs hike. So I ended up booking a full day tour with Omar to Torres del Paine but I didn't like this tour, but that has nothing to with my stay at Kawashkar.

Hot showers. Yummy, full breakfast: Cereal, yogurt, toast with butter and jam, cheese, coffee, tea, fruit, milk and Omar cooked eggs for everyone in the morning. The place is super clean. And the rules were there to make it super clean and comfortable for everyone. I appreciated that a lot!! Free wifi that worked in my room!! Close enough to a few small market and short walk to a big Unimark. Omar was awesome. I was really sad to go after my short stay. I would come back just to hang out with him :)

Highly recommended and will come back for sure if I make it back to Puerto Natales.

p.s. Ladies, Omar is a handsome and funny single guy, get him while he's still on the market ;)

Room Tip: I got in the 6 bed dorm, I think there might be an 8 bed dorm too. I had wifi in my room and that w...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed here for a night before going on the W trail and again for a night after I came back. Omar was great. I was able to rent everything I needed for the trek from him, and also left most of the stuff in my backpack in the lockers for the few days that I was gone. The floors are a bit creaky, the stairs a bit steep (I scraped my leg about 3 times!), and the cooking facilities a bit strange, but overall a great place to stay, and Omar will do your washing when you get back from the trek.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Kaweskar for 2 nights prior to embarking on the 8 day Paine circuit and for 2 nights after

Omar has trekked the full circuit 27 times and because of that he absolutely knows what is important for both before and after the trek

Highlights (so many it is easier to write bullets!):

Before the trek:
- fabulous abundant breakfast - Omar makes everyone egg omelettes individually, there is toast with Nutella, dulce de leche, jam, butter etc, cereal, yoghurt, peaches, coffee, tea and orange - just the fuel you need
- Omar gets good prices on bus tickets and organises this for you (not just to the park but to other destinations, as well as the Navimag)
- you can rent equipment - I initially rented a sleeping bag from the main place in town (no names) although it was old and smelly so I took it back and took one of Omar's instead - he washes them after every use and they are relatively new and very warm - very important!
- you can hire a locker to store your stuff when you are away
- scales to weigh your pack before you set out

After the trek:
- chocolates in reception to boost energy when you arrive exhausted!
- hot hot showers with good pressure
- Feather down duvets - just what you need after several nights in a cold tent!
- fast and efficient laundry service
- reliable Internet!

Other bonuses:
- TV with films
- nice social atmosphere

Omar is a fabulous host - he clearly enjoys what he does and goes out of his way to do a good job. He is sometimes run off his feet trying to cater for everyone but always delivers and never forgets a request

Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

Omar is the best. He is very kind and helpful. The hostel is well located and very clean. In the hostel you can meet backpackers from all over the world.
It's for sure the best hostel in Puerto Natales!

• Stayed February 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

Omar, the owner of the hostel, is a legend - a real character who run a very tight ship and despite his Parsian mannerism is actually Chilean! :)

The hostel is a short 5 min walk to all the shops/restaurants, is spotless and Omar couldn't be more helpful. He also provides a hearty and plentiful breakfast each morning - the perfect start for a hard day's trekking!

It also has the best equipped kitchen I've seen...ever (even has an Arga oven!!) and like the rest of the place is spotless.

It really is the owner's care, attention and pride in the place that makes this hostel stand out from most others you will visit.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Omar runs a tight operation and is very helpful (although occasionally a bit surly), especially about trekking in Torres del Paine. Comfy beds (with a power outlet next to each bed, very handy!), large lockers, great breakfast, fast Internet. The downstairs male dorm room can be noisy as it's close to the common room and right opposite the kitchen; better to get a bed upstairs if you can. I stayed there twice, before and after the W trek and would def stay there again, if in P. Natales.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

This hostel is simple, clean, and everything you need before and after trekking in Torres de Paine NP. Omar is probably the most available and helpful hostel owner you could come across. You can hire all the gear you need from him (besides a gas tank, which you can get from just around the corner). And he will talk you through the walking options, and his recommendations, if you are disorganized like we were and have no idea how it all works. We arrived the night before we did the five day W trek, and we hired all our gear from Omar.

The dorms are simple but clean, the beds are comfy, and each one has a feather doona! Omar gives you a really great breakfast every morning (included), which is perfect pre- and post-hike. Omar really went out of his way to help us with a bus up to Pucon after our hike too. I definitely recommend his hostel.

• Stayed December 2012