“Friendly, Clean and well situated Hostal”

Charles Darwin Hotel
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Natales
Boulder, Colorado
“Friendly, Clean and well situated Hostal”
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My two daughters and I spent one night at the Charles Darwin en route to Torres del Paine. The front desk staff (Oswaldo) were efficient and helpful. The room was a good size ( 3 twin beds). The room and attached bath were very clean and neat. We found Patagonia to be very expensive making this hotel a bargain.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I can only give you the good advice: stay away from this hotel! There are probably better options in Puerto Natales. My room was so small that I could hardly move (ok there are some rooms with more space) and the bed was quite uncomfortable. The room was very noisy and you could hear it everytime when your neighbours took a shower. But he biggest annoyance was the breakfast, which was the baddest on my trip through Chile. The coffee was only a pulver coffee which you couldn’t drink (Dear Manager if you should read this: please try once your coffee and say honestly if that is the way you want to start your day?). The staff seemeed to be rather uninterested and nobody could speak a word English (not even a basic communication was possible)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank combas

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Natales hotels

Manchester England
Reviewed 31 December 2009

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in Dec. 2009. The hotel is situated within walking distance of the Navimag ferry port, but a taxi would be helpful if you arrive by coach as it's about 10/12 blocks, albeit downhill. Taxis seem to have a fixed tariff within the town of 1000 pesos, less than 2 dollars. The hotel is clean comfortable simple with no frills. Breakfast is the right side of adequate. Reception was efficient and helpful when asked for info. There is no lift. We had a room at the rear of the hotel which was just large enough, and nice and quiet. We did not eat at the hotel although there was a daily changing menu at very reasonable prices, Ultima Esperanza is the best bet for good food. There are few facilities but as we spent so little time in the hotel that was of little consequence. As a base for visiting the main attractions in and around Puerto Natales it more than filled the bill.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Osos, California
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We were looking for a nice clean hotel for about $100 with good food which we could use as a base for exploring Torres del Paine and other locations in the area. This hotel fitled the bill quite well and was surporisingle well appointed. It is not a hotel where you would want to hang out (no pool or sauna, etc.), but it was a very comfortable place with a great free breakfast - eggs, fruit, toast (whole wheat - pan integral!), fruit, pastries, fruit juice, yogurt, granola, etc. and a good dinner. It had a free computer/internet room with a great view. Not too far away was a great veggie/natural food restaurant - EL Living, which was a treat since we were missing fresh squeezed juice, good salads, whole grains and generally healthy food.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank centralcoastguy
great harwood lancashire
Reviewed 10 February 2008

I am struggling to recognise the hotel that previous reviewers have described. The hotel was clean and the bedroom spacious. There is a lounge area on the top floor that is almost all glass with stunning views of the Sound. My husband and I had a lovely meal at a local restaurant the Afragonia which I would recommend. After the meal we thought we would return to the hotel for coffee and sit in the above topfloor lounge and enjoy the views, it was 9.20 in the evening we asked at reception for coffee and were told not possible so we asked for tea same answer, the bar was also closed, as was the restaurant (in the bedrooms there is a card that says they are there to serve you 24hrs a day and 7 days a week). Next morning breakfast was the worst I have ever had, the fruit salad was out of a tin there were 2 baskets of ready toasted bread 1 brown and 1 white, diluted orange cordial and rather sweaty looking cheese. I was very glad we only using this hotel for 1 night.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank charlblad
Zorrogris, Manager General at Charles Darwin Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2008
Good days, thank you for your comments, we will verify what happened and rectify the mistakes for a better future facility

Cordially

Arturo Baez Hernandez
The Heart of East Yorkshire
Reviewed 30 December 2006

Puerto Natales is a pretty tatty town, a dump to be honest, and there are a lot of dodgy hotels. It's a shame given its stunning setting. That said, I believe it's up-and-coming, and things will improve.

My wife and I booked two nights at the Cerro Castillo (see my separate review); after the first night we bailed and went around town looking for somewhere else to stay.

We checked out several hotels and settled on the Charles Darwin.

Check-in: the staff were friendly and helpful, showing us the room before we decided to book. They didn't help us with our bags. We didn't ask either and probably didn't give them a chance to be fair. They did recommend a restaurant to us (La Ultima Esperanza) and it was a great recommendation.

Room: The room was small but VERY clean, the beds were comfortable and we had a view (sort of) of the harbour. Nothing extraordinary, but can't complain.

Bathroom. the fixtures in the shower and bathroom were shiny and free of water spots. There were minute traces of mould in the shower but generally better than what you'd find in most places. Really, the bathroom shone, there was a hairdryer for the missus, and things were of a good standard.

Restaurant: wasn't open for dinner, but the breakfasts were great. Continental breakfast but with scrambled eggs included. Above average for Chile!

Overall: would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendliness
  • Disliked — No internet
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat at Restaurant Ultima Esperanza, easy walking distance from hotel
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank TrayflowinUK
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2005

The recently-opened Charles Darwin Hotel at Manuel Bulnes 90 in Puerto Natales is just a short distance from the boardwalk waterfront of Last Hope Sound, with wonderful views across to snowy-topped mountains. It is just up the street from the big yellow building where you wait to catch the Navimag ferry to Puerto Montt.

The room was very clean and comfortable, though decidedly on the small side (it would be a tight fit for two). It's a low-rise (three floors?) hotel with no elevator. The window opened onto a side street and the bus and trucks were an inadvertent early wake up call. This is small-town Chile, so I made allowances.

I was able to walk a few blocks down hill to the boardwalk, which went on for some good distance to the west and got some fabulous photos.

There are several nice restaurants close by. Breakfast was very good, and served in a restaurant that opens to the street for local diners.

The staff had minimal English skills (as I do of Spanish) but with body English and acting out, we got on just fine. Chileans, like most southern South Americans I encountered, are awfully nice and very good sports.

I walked up the hill (it's all uphill in this area when you leave the shore) to use an internet cafe, so I never did find out what the hotel had to offer.

From Puerto Natales to the park (Torre del Paine) it's a few hours by road, and that took up most of my time.

8 Thank haitistarfish