I agree with the reviewer below that staying at Remota beats camping… but that's the extent of it. At more than $600 per night, Remota might be the most expensive three-star hotel anywhere. The architecture doesn't live up to the photos on their Web site. Close up, you can tell they cut corners (a foam rubber pads on concrete don't add up to sofas in my book). All in all, the place makes looks the way you'd imagine a juvenile detention center in Finland. The rooms are rather cramped and look like they're straight out of the IKEA catalogue. Definitely won't get you in the mood for romance.
The food was so atrocious that a single meal convinced us to eat outside the hotel as much as possible (which is a big hassle, but at least there are some decent options in Puerto Natales).
Like us, most of the guests we met "chose" Remota only because the Explora was booked out - and were as underwhelmed as we were! We would have cut our stay short, but Remota requires advance payment in full, so we didn't have a choice but to stick it out.
At least the guides were great. We loved Torres del Paine so much that we're thinking of coming back next year. That's why we made a point to check out Explora. A world of difference! If you're tempted to think that Remota is a substitute for Explora - think again.
An interesting tidbit from our guide: the most experienced guides in the area work exclusively for Explora. The guides at Remota wear Remota uniforms but are, for the most part, freelancers. So you can stay at a nice hotel in town for a fraction of the cost , get the same quality of tours, and save a bundle. Or reserve long enough in advance so you can get a spot at the Explora.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Remota is one of the most celebrated and awarded Hotels in Chile, where the National Architecture Prize Awarded, German Del Sol, achieved the most breathtaking views of the fjord and glaciers.Normal things like breakfast,is an unforgettable experience.Luminous and inserted in Patagonia's landscape, without any modification, with the best infrastructure, totally different from a classic hotel that impresses visitors and leaves a lasting memory.Remota is more than just a hotel, it allows travellers to have a unique total Patagonia Experience.Remota is an ecological and sustainable hotel, built with high quality materials, almost no motors, no elevators,no television or internet in the rooms, very light, almost transparent, natural ventilation and highly efficient energy use.We support local communities and are strongly linked to social and cultural organisations as well.Remota is a selected property of the prestigious Virtuoso luxury travel network (only 5 operations in Chile) and was choosen by Orvis as an International Endorsed Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Remota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Remota Puerto Natales, Chile - Aisen Region
- Remota Hotel Puerto Natales