Remota
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Altiplanico Sur(Puerto Natales)
View Hotel
Weskar Patagonian Lodge(Puerto Natales)
  • Breakfast included
Simple Patagonia Hotel(Puerto Natales)
View Hotel
Hotel Capitan Eberhard(Puerto Natales)
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
Hotel IF Patagonia(Puerto Natales)
View Hotel
Hotel Martin Gusinde(Puerto Natales)
Hotel Glaciares(Puerto Natales)
View Hotel
Natalino Hotel Patagonia(Puerto Natales)
View Hotel
Noi Indigo Patagonia(Puerto Natales)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsinfinity poolhorse ridingtorres del painearchitectural designaward winningall inclusive planbeautiful hotelcommon areasexceptional hotelchillifly fishingslate floorspisco soursremote locationrooms are modernnatural materialsthe entire staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 February 2008

I agree with the reviewer below that staying at Remota beats camping… but that's the extent of it. At more than $600 per night, Remota might be the most expensive three-star hotel anywhere. The architecture doesn't live up to the photos on their Web site. Close up, you can tell they cut corners (a foam rubber pads on concrete don't add up to sofas in my book). All in all, the place makes looks the way you'd imagine a juvenile detention center in Finland. The rooms are rather cramped and look like they're straight out of the IKEA catalogue. Definitely won't get you in the mood for romance.
The food was so atrocious that a single meal convinced us to eat outside the hotel as much as possible (which is a big hassle, but at least there are some decent options in Puerto Natales).
Like us, most of the guests we met "chose" Remota only because the Explora was booked out - and were as underwhelmed as we were! We would have cut our stay short, but Remota requires advance payment in full, so we didn't have a choice but to stick it out.
At least the guides were great. We loved Torres del Paine so much that we're thinking of coming back next year. That's why we made a point to check out Explora. A world of difference! If you're tempted to think that Remota is a substitute for Explora - think again.
An interesting tidbit from our guide: the most experienced guides in the area work exclusively for Explora. The guides at Remota wear Remota uniforms but are, for the most part, freelancers. So you can stay at a nice hotel in town for a fraction of the cost , get the same quality of tours, and save a bundle. Or reserve long enough in advance so you can get a spot at the Explora.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank NewYorkMenlo
Reviewed 15 January 2008

I have a wonderful seven days at Remota over Christmas. The architecture of the building is amazing and the rooms are huge with beautiful views of the lake.

I did a lot of research before I booked this place. I wanted to visit Torres Del Paine without the hardships of lugging a backpack and staying in any tents, or hosterias. I originally considered these options:

- staying at Altiplanico Sur and hiring a car (which in retrospect would've been a hassle and that hotel looked okay but not a patch on Remota)
- staying at Explora - but I'd say the Remota is a much better design and choice at half the price... you also get the opportunity to do things outside the park at Remota... horseriding in the nearby by hills was lovely and easy (I'd never tried horse riding before).

The service at Remota is great. It's worth paying for the guides and the little touches like homemade biscuits and pisco sours with the packed lunches on the walks. Everything really is included like wine and drinks. The only things I paid for were laundry and for a massage.

I'd say its worth the money, but if you want to do things a little cheaper, Indigo in Puerto Natales looked like the next best option to me.

Finally, if you go to Calafate to see Perito Moreno (and do, its worth it...) it's easy to get bus tickets in town. It costs £10 each way and takes about 5 hours. You'd only want to stay two nights in Calafate there though because there isn't anything else to do and get a bus back to Puerto Natales or fly back via Buenos Aires.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
5  Thank RobbleLondon
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Remota has to be the perfect escape. First you are picked up from the airport in Punta Arenas 3 hours away. But although it’s a long drive you stop to see animals on the way - not your standard boring transfer.

Then on arrival you can unpack, have a drink or simply chill (literally) in the heated open-air jacuzzi. Quite lovely when you are warm (except for your head) but have amazing views. The hotel itself is pretty stylish and very comfortable, and it’s nice having all the food included. All the staff is very friendly.

But to the main event – the excursions. You meet with a guide every day and they have wide range of trips so you’ll find something to suit you whatever your interests and level. Paine was amazing, and our guide (on both days) Felipe was great. Funny, but helpful and patient to when he needed to be. Although we didn’t go out with any of the other guides we met a few and they seemed to be equally good. In fact our only regret was not staying longer.

One tip – do go into Puerto Natales. You may not travel to the extreme south just for it, but it is worth a look round. It’s a fairly short walk from town to Remota or you can get a taxi very cheaply.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Aylesburytravellers
Reviewed 24 August 2007

The Remota is one of the most unique places I have visited. The location on the side of the fjjord and the views across the mountains, lakes and rivers is the perfet combination. what I loved the most about remota was the huge range of activities available and the relaxed and fun guides. I went riding with Gauchos, mountain biking to a bar b que, hiking in the Torres del Paine park, walking to hidden caves, on a boat to walk around Glaciers - the guides were great and their love for the outdoors is infectious. The days gave you the feeling of being remote from the world and full of energy and feeling the most relaxed i have felt for a long time and that is not an easy acheivement!!! This really is 10/10, I would return every year for a week to keep my sanity!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Molehill
Reviewed 3 March 2007

We traveled to the southernmost city in the world (Punta Arenas, Chile) and then were driven another 3 hours into the beauty of Patagonia. The Remota is the most unique place I've ever seen. It is an all-inclusive hotel built to echo the spirit of Patagonia. From a distance, it was built to look like a dock going down to the sea - and it does. The buildings are connected by enclosed walkways (used by farmers on the local sheep ranches) and the unfinished linga wood walls and furniture smells so sweet! There is art work everywhere and the linens were amazing.

But what makes us want to return some day is the staff and the service. Guests are transported by modern vans. All of the staff from the drivers to the housekeepers are multi-lingual. When we arrived, the entire staff turned out of the front door in welcome and we were given a tour and fed, though it wasn't meal time. The point of being in this area is the great out-of-doors. You are in the middle of the Southern Ice fields, the Torres del Paine National Park, on the shores of the Last Hope Sound, near the Strait of Magellan, close to Cape Horn. There are glaciers, waterfalls, caves, forests, penguin breeding grounds, flocks of sheep and herds of cattle crossing the road in front of your vehicle, condors flying overhead. Each evening you meet in the bar with one of the wonderful guides and plan your next day. There are over 27 excursions to take, physical levels from easy to strenuous (climbing to the base of the Towers in the park, for example) and it is all up to you. Equipment is all supplied and includes everything from Zodiacs to mountain climbing gear to bikes to local boat tours. What I really loved was that there were no limitations on what we could do, such as a certain tour only on a Wednesday, or something like that. It was all very flexible, though there were very few guests when we were there, as it was not high season yet. After 12 hours of physical activity, you can relax in an outdoor hot tub that faces the Andes, swim in a raised pool, take a sauna or have a massage.

When my son and husband became ill and missed a day, the staff immediately helped me to take care of them, initiating an on-call, after hours pharmacy system in the little town of Puerto Natales, made special food for them and served them in the room until they were able to join me again. They rearranged the planned excursion and made sure that I was getting my money's worth by taking me a few hours at a time to closer local outdoor attractions/museums between returning to check on my sleeping family. Everyone was so very personable.

The food was varied, delicious and beautifully presented. Chilean wines were included even in our picnics out in the wild.
The manager, Janna, is a world class hostess and we recommend Joaquin and Andres as expert guides and true "mountain men".

Our 2 weeks in Chile were fabulous and if we get to go back, I would rent a car and drive. I think in Santiago, it could be a bit hairy, but once out of the city, the roads are well kept and well signed, even in Patagonia.

Stayed: December 2006