“A piece of heaven at the end of the earth!”
Review of Remota

Remota
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Natales
Heredia
“A piece of heaven at the end of the earth!”
Reviewed 21 September 2009

In short, THIS PLACE IS AMAZING!!..everything, from the service of the staff, to the hotel itself, make us, me and my friends, wanted to come back as soon as possible. To be honest, you get WAY MORE than what you pay for!, It wort every penny, and more!, I do recommend this place, it is magical!, besides, although I went there with my friends, I can picture my honeymoon here, is so god dam romantic!

Greetings to all the staff of Hotel Remote. Guys, YOU ROCK!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dorsay01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
texas
Reviewed 20 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at Remota for a week. During this time we did most of the excursions offered plus some that were specially designed by the staff just for us that fit our interests. The hotel was magnificent and had stunning views of the mountains and water. The national park was an hour or so by hotel van depending on how deep in you traveled. In a week, we felt we had a good overview of the entire park as well as surrounding areas of puerto natales (fun town, good beer). The advanced hikes, the horseback riding, and the kayaking was well suited for even the most adventursome traveler but not an extremist. The staff made our stay great, if it weren't for the hotel guides, our stay would not have been the same.

1 Thank jmillak
santa clara, ca
Reviewed 19 June 2009

This place would have gotten 5 stars if not for the terrible welcome we had. We booked a real awesome deal on tablethotels.com for $200/night (usually 450+) and showed up early at the hotel at 11am. We were informed that the entire hotel was booked by a tour group and asked to LEAVE the premises. Seriously, who does that?? We took a coooollddd walk back into town (a ride would've been nice) and had lunch. When we returned I made it very clear how upset I was about the situation. In all my years of travel, no hotel has ever turned a paying guest away. They tried very hard to make it up to us. The entire hotel stayed open just for the two of us. We were given free food and a fabulous breakfast.

The rooms are immaculate and the infinity pool (which is a walk away) it just fabulous. It is about a 15 min cold walk into town but hey, it's remota right?

So all in all awesome stay we had and great value with tablethotels.com

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jchen811
dallas
Reviewed 3 March 2009

My husband would hike and camp throughout the region if he could but compromised with me and stayed at Remota so that I could have a comfy bed and a hot shower every night. We enjoyed our stay at Remota and would recommend it to family and friends.

Pros:
1. The staff was excellent. The excursions were fantastic and the guides appeared to take a personal interest in our likes and dislikes. We were there for a week and they made sure that we had a thorough sampling of what the area had to offer. The river kayaking was by the best - if you go, you have to do this excursion.

2. The rooms were comfy and immaculately clean. The bathroom was clean and accomodating and I enjoyed a hot soak in the tub every night with a cozy bath robe to follow. The bed was comfortable - no complaints.

3. The location was great in that we could walk to town or take a quick taxi ride. We went into town most nights to eat because the hotel food was a little boring. The Living Room and the Pizza Place on the corner were our favorites. There is also a little spa in town that I wanted to try but didn't have time. The hotel staff will direct you to all of these things if you ask. Some girls on our trip had a massage at the hotel but weren't that impressed.

4. The pool room and hot tub were great with an attendent providing champagne.

Cons:
1. The food at dinner was a repetitive and not worth the hotel price. My husband had no complaints but I'm a bit of a pickier eater. The breakfast and lunches were great.

2. I'm a t.v. person and would have liked a t.v. in the room. I get that it is supposed to be a quiet, relaxing vacation but one wouldn't have to turn the t.v. on if they didn't want to. At the very least, I would recommend that the hotel re-do the "t.v. room". It's located upstairs and is not conducive to viewing, maybe the computers could be moved to this area as well.

This truly was a wonderful trip to a beautiful region of Chile and we would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cdom
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 February 2009

My friend and I spent 4 nights at the hotel. Initially, I was put off that it was so close to town, but in the end that was actually a good thing since we could take hotel bikes into town.
Pros: The beds are comfortable and the rooms are spacious. The kitchen staff is very friendly and will be accommodating if you ASK for something. Don't expect them to take hints. They run the excursions even if only a couple people are interested that day. They pick you up from the airport (fly into Puerto Natales - NOT Punta Arenas if possible - you can do that by flying Sky Airlines and buying that ticket in the Santiago airport. It's also $350 cheaper than flying LAN).
Cons: I agree with another reviewer that the manager comes off as phony. She is helpful, but you just get the feeling that her assistance is not from a sincere desire for your trip to be good. I also agree that for the $800-$1000 a night price, there should be tvs in the bedrooms. You're done with dinner, out in the middle of nowhere, the hotel is empty...it'd be nice to have something to occupy the time before bed.
Some of the guides were nice and seemed sincerely motivated to help. But, some were condescending. Like if you did not subscribe to their granola ways, you were somehow less "cool" than them. My friend and I went on what was descirbed as a "walk" that was actually a 7 hour hike. There were no other guests on that excursion with us. When it became obvious that I was having a hard time keeping up and that my shoes were killing me, the guide made no effort to abbreviate the difficult hike. The result was that I was injured to the point that I spent the rest of my vacation hobbling around. I didn't really appreciate that. All the guides also seemed to have picked up the same stock phrases when asked about issues related to the National Park. In response to global warming, they all say, "yes, but climate change is a natural process." Um, not natural when it's man accelerating it. The food was less than impressive for the price of the hotel AND the wine was ghetto.
There is a new hotel in the town that is supposed to be lovely called Indigo. It may be worth checking that out before Remota.

Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Judeobscur58
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 February 2009

We had a fantastic experience at Remota. We were intrigued by the modern design from the photos and were more impressed in person, and how it reflects the natural environment and cultural history of the region.

The food and wine were excellent. The breakfast buffet was fantastic, and the daily excursion lunches provided by the guides were especially good. Dinner was always a treat, with at least two great options for each course to choose from.

The hotel staff went out of their way to accommodate us, even helping with travel arrangements, and were always very friendly.

We took excursions into the park on three different days and each one was incredible. The guides were very knowledgeable and fun to spend the day with. Although it is over an hour to drive each way to and from the park, it never seemed too long, and was a great chance to see wildlife and learn more about the park from the guides.

The pool and jacuzzi were perfect for relaxing after a day-long hike, and were also beautifully designed and placed with great views of the sound. Check out the view from the green roof at night!

We were very impressed with this hotel - it was the highlight of our 3-week trip throughout Patagonia, and well worth the money. The only drawback was not having enough hours in each day to enjoy everything more. If you are looking for a place to stay in or around the Torres del Paine park, this is it!

• Liked — Excursions and guides
  • Disliked — No wireless Internet access
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stayed for 3 nights and overall were disappointed with our stay. The reason we picked this hotel was that we were hoping to relax in a really beautiful place and enjoy specialized tours. While hotel is really beautiful and offers amazing views it is a far cry from a luxury experience you would expect at over $800 per day in a country with excellent tourist infrastructure.

Pros:
a) pretty architecture and beautiful views of the lake.
b) the entire staff, with the exception of the manager Maria Jose, who was on the power trip and extremely rude to us until we threatened to speak with her manager, was great and very accomodating.
c) excellent reflecting pool in a separate building.
d) lead guide sits down with visitors in the evening to plan next day's excursion.

Cons:
a) be aware that 3 nights may mean 2 days of tours only based on the fact that hotel airport transit takes you to the hotel in the late afternoon and you would be missing the afternoon 1/2 day tour. on you last day you would have to clear out noon, which means at best a morning excursion, unless you bitterly fight for the afternoon excursion as well with the manager.
b) all the tour guides were college students working at Remota for the summer. Sure, they worked excusively for the hotel and were really nice, but they were not knowledgeable about the area and the park beyond what is in the tour guide. You can get this level of tour quality in the many different agencies in Puerto Natales. Incidentally, even though trips sounded individual based on the discussion with the lead guide at night, in the morning you ended up with at least 6-8 other tourists in the car. Our final 3 hour excursion, which was horse back riding near the hotel (costing $300 per person based on the manager) was the smallest - only 3 people.
c) there is no menu and you get an option soup or salad and 2 possible entrees for dinner. One of these is always king crab casserole, the other is either salmon or meat. It is good tasting food but you would not call it gourmet or even great by any means. WHY??? The food is really inexpensive in this country and it would not kill them to offer a real menu or let people have soup and salad for, again, $800+ per day.
d) on the subject of drinking and luxury, there is only one brand of wine available - Casiliero del Diablo, which is the cheapest brand in Chile (checked in the local hypermarket). It is nice wine but some options would be nice. A typical tourist staying in Remota would like some options.
e) there are no TVs in the rooms. Sure, it is done to make the visitors completely relax but it gives a feeling the management was not ready to shell out for a newer TV models which will be appropriate for the "luxury setting." The only visitor TV for the hotel is in the large room filled with tables and chairs on the second floor. So if you want to sit down comfortably to watch some news (no movie channels in that hotel) you would have to borrow some pillows from the next room and sit on the floor.
f) speaking of the architecture, the ceiling design is very simple - concrete blocks with wood panels about 10 inches below. The problem is there are lots of cobwebs in that in-between place. It is undestandably difficult to clean but I was left wondering when going to sleep whether I will be receiving any spider visitors at night.
g) the pool is great, the only problem is that it is in the separate building. It was pretty cold going there and back even in the middle of Chilean summer. Additionally, the desk staff does not know the opening times of the pool even though it is written on the hotel info packet. These may be the reasons why it is not used very much.
h) the hotel manager ultimately really ruined the experience. It is a nice touch to be greeted by her when you arrive. But she is fake and obsequious and she runs the hotel to offer the least possible service to the visitors. Here is another example: when we complained about the food she said "oh really, why didn't you tell me" - and the next time we were offered 3 entree options instead of 2. These were salmon, meat, and king crab casserole. They must have a seasonal pass.

While we were at the hotel the other tourists discussed a high number of cancellations the hotel had received recently. Some of them are sure due to the economy. But I am pretty sure that many are due to the poor experiences this place provides.

• Liked — Beautiful views and architecture
  • Disliked — quality of tours, food, rooms, and treatment by the manager
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ladelila