“Nice hotel but.....”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Punta Arenas
Syosset, New York
“Nice hotel but.....”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel that faces the strait of Magellan in Punta Arenas
Nice rooms but extremely hot as you cannot adjust the temperature, there is a termostat but it simply does not work
Breakfast is fine but as seems they want to show a fancy style they fail and lack on quality, coffee is mouldy and dark, bread and croissants seems to be leftovers from the day before, juices are a sweet colored slime. Ask for fresh coffee and eggs to the waiter as they might be better than the ones in the buffet

Room Tip: Ask for a room facibg the sea, the other side looks to the city and not that nice
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We spent two nights in this hotel recently and found the overall experience unsatisfactory. The staff are friendly enough, but they don't really do their jobs very well and aren't always very helpful. The lobby is too small for a hotel this size, the casino atmosphere is rather cheesy, and the rooms are not well thought-out: No rubbish bin in the fancy bathroom, no air-conditioning in this glass building where, if you are on the sunny side, the temperature becomes unbearable. There were vents for an air conditioning system, but apparently it was never installed, or the management just didn't want to turn it on (14° celsius outside, but you couldn´t really open the window, so it must have been about 26° in the aquarium we called our room. Other than that, the lifts didn't work wellm anfd the restaurant was also rather unfriendly, trying to force you to reserve things that you didn't really want...

Room Tip: Avoid the sunny side of the building!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank SteveSavatte
New York
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights while in Punta Arenas. While booking, this hotel caught my eye because I had read it was the southernmost casino in the world. I figured it would be cool to stay here. We were arriving from Puerto Natales. Upon arrival in Punta Arenas, streets were closed off because there was a protest going on right in front of our hotel. People were protesting this hotel. Our driver had to drive us around for a while before the roads opened and he could take us to the front door. Once there, the check in line, although short, took a while. I told them I needed an ocean view room. I wanted to look out at the Strait of Magellan. We had arrived too early to check in so the hotel stored our bags for us and we walked around. The hotel has a great location, right on the Strait of Magellan and very close to great places to eat and good shopping.
Our room was very nice. Great views. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was very big. There was a tub and a separate walk in rainforest type shower.
When we checked out, I received an email from someone on the staff that we left something behind. We were already en route back to NY. They told us that they couldnt mail it back to me if I was outside Chile but they would hold it just incase I ever came back. I thought it was nice that they contacted me but its a shame I couldnt get my item back.
I was told that breakfast was included in my rate but I never was able to get to breakfast because I always had to be somewhere before it opened. Its a shame it isnt open early for people who have tours scheduled or early flights.
We did visit the casino for a short while and it was definitely not Vegas style but at least we can say we were there.
The only down side of our stay was having to cross the protest line every time we went in an out of the hotel. I was obviously not aware of the protest when I booked the hotel.
Also, this hotel requires you to have a room key in a slot by the door for the power in the room to work. We left a room key in that slot so the heat would warm up the cold room. We left for a little and when we returned it was gone. The room had been cleaned since we left so it was obvious the maid removed it and took it. I can understand if she removed it and left it somewhere for us but nope, it was gone. We told the front desk about this and about how uncomfortable it made us feel that someone had our key, so they deactivated the keys and issued new ones.
Overall I definitely recommend this hotel. Great location and a nice room.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great! Whether you are visiting for business or pleasure, you will enjoy being within walking distance to the two best restaurants in the area- Sotito's & Ganaderos, to City center Park, the cruise ship dock and to cycling/walking paths. Friendly staff, very clean & non smoking, including the casino( finely!). Rooms are fantastic with very comfortable beds & pillows, tv is limited, no air conditioning ( but window opens) and good internet service. Coffee shop/ meeting spot in the lobby is worth the stop.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are okay but basic.
Gym facilities are really good, pool is okay. Steam room is huge and terrific for hotel standards. Downside on the gym is that is opens at 6:30am-would be nice if it was earlier.
If you are heading into the casino make sure to get your pass from the desk so you are not charged.
* if this is your first visit to the area make sure you go to City Center Park and kiss the Indian's toe.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Location: On the southwest side of Punta Arenas, overlooking the water and the harbor. Within walking distance of 5 restaurants located across the street. 30 minute taxi ride from the airport (14,000- 16,000 Pesos= $ 7-8 USD).

Hotel: Modern high-rise hotel and casino with high-ceilings, sleek décor. Looks out of place in the modest city of Punta Arenas. Has a Chocolatta café in front. Small casino with slot machines, roulette, and card tables. ATM in lobby. Casino currently exchanges 490 Chilean pesos to 1 USD. Excellent free gym with treadmills, weights, stationary bicycles, yoga room, changing rooms, showers, lockers. Beautiful indoor heated pool and jacuzzi overlooking the coast. Business center with computers. Conference rooms Speedy free wifi. Includes breakfast with deli meats, pastries, yogurt, omelet station, fresh squeezed OJ, coffee. Check-out at noon.

Rooms: Expansive rooms that are clean, chic, comfortable. Spacious bathroom with large tub. Magnificent shower with 4 nozzles. Electronic wooden blinds for bathroom. Relaxing bed. Large closets. Includes safe, mini-bar, basic toiletries.

Service: Friendly but moves at South-American pace (very slow). Check-in line was long and tedious.

Overall: Dreams Hotel is a pleasant, relaxing place to stay in Punta Arenas.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Tallest building in town with views over the sea and harbour. We had a massive room which was really nice, everything worked and the shower was good.
I didn't think much of the breakfast, it was fine but pretty basic. Most people are going to stay in Punta Arenas for one night, probably catching the boat or flying out, this hotel is fine for that short stay. There seems to be an ongoing demonstration by some casino workers outside but they don't bother the guests.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

I really loved this hotel ! Maybe it helped that we were upgraded to a fabulous suite with a view over the sea on the 7th floor! However I think I would have liked the hotel even without the upgrade. Beautifully furnished, luxury bathroom, fab breakfast (ambience and food) great gym, friendly and helpful reception and luxury all around!

Sent from my iPod