Lakeside Hotel
  • Restaurant
Jinyue Hotel(Fuzhou)
Tianyi Hotel(Fuzhou)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Beautiful lobby. Our room was spacious and clean. The staff was very accommodating. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate. The executive lounge was peaceful. We enjoyed walking along the lake in the early evening. Easy walk to shops and the park.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is a Chinese 5 star hotel, beautiful, clean, good food, pleasant staff, pleasant rooms. The location can't be beat. Right outside the front door is a lake surrounded by a wide boardwalk. Many different plants, shrubs and flowers add to the enjoyment of an early morning stroll. Room service was very responsive. The "Three Lanes and Seven Alleys" shopping promenade is within walking distance of this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank transientm
Reviewed 13 June 2013

While the Lakeside Hotel in Fuzhou may not be my favorite, in our experience, there are not a lot of other options that will appeal to Western travelers. To add insult to injury, we are paying 5-star prices for 3-star quality.

The first room we were shown could double as an ashtray. I'm serious. I have never been in a hotel room that smelled so strongly of cigarette smoke. Totally gross.

With some arm-twisting by my chinese wife, we secured a non-smoking room for the same price as the gross smoking room we were first shown. Imagine, they try to charge more for non-smoking rooms.

Our room's furnishings are decent if dated. Carpet is well-worn but clean, and not nearly as worn as the hallway carpet, which is way past its "use by" date. The bathroom is kind of 60s, lacking any of the attractive decorative features of better international hotels. The bed is comfortable if not overly big -- queen-sized, I think.

We wandered through the restaurants, which range from dated to downright scary. We'll be eating breakfast in the lobby restaurant tomorrow. That's probably the only time we'll dare to eat in a hotel restaurant.

The big advantage of this hotel is its location on West Lake and near Dongjiekou. Each evening we walk to the restaurants and shopping malls in Dongjiekou, then enjoy a stroll around the lake on our way back. In good weather, the lake is terrific for people- and plant-watching.

Other cities in China seem to have better hotels than Fuzhou. The Lakeside Hotel is passable, but not a good value for the money, IMHO.

Room Tip: There are newly-decorated rooms that face the lake. I'm not sure how much better the lake-side rooms are, or whether they are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is an average hotel with smells frequent travelers to China will know. It is not as grand or as nice as other newer properties, and I would not stay here again. It is probably acceptable to many in the community, but for those accustomed to a bit more of a refined experience, the Shang is a better bet. The carpet in the rooms is one that you need to wear socks. More than a bit dated. AND, to get a drink, you have literally walk outside the hotel to a lakeside bar!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a lake view and SPECIFY NON SMOKING
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I took my girlfriend there for a Valentine's Day treat. She is from Fuzhou, and knows the hotel well. She said she always wanted to stay at the hotel since she was a little girl, when it was the only good hotel in town. She did warn me though that the lower floors were being renovated.

With this in mind, we chose a high floor (13th) which gave us access to the executive club. A cosy meeting place at the end of the corridor where you can eat sandwiches and tea and cake from late morning till early evening if you so desire. You can also check-in and check-out at the executive club, and avoid reception if you want to save time.

Our room was well appointed with a lovely view of the lake.. King-sized bed with a large screen TV, all the mod cons. The only thing was the room was too warm, and we couldn't seem to cool it down--despite having the fans turned up in the air-cooling system. If we would have stayed more than one night we would have switched rooms,or had the problem fixed. But I didn't think it worth the hassle being there just the one night. Besides, I loved the view outside the window,

Breakfast was good, with plenty of choices especially for the Chinese palate. Plenty for the western palate too--with different breads, cheeses, meats, egg fried or boiled, salads, etc, etc.

My girlfriend negotiated a rate of 788 rnb, which wasn't cheap. But if you include the nice lunch and drinks we had at the executive club, it works out ok. Rooms on the lower floors are much cheaper, around the 500 rnb mark. My advice is whichever floor you choose to stay on, try and get a room that overlooks the lake. It's such a nice view when you open the curtains in the morning.

Room Tip: High floor with lake view if your wallet can stretch that far.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple