“The best food in Xiamen”

INDIANO JOHN's SAMRAT
Ranked #2 of 1,500 Restaurants in Xiamen
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: INDIANO JOHN's SAMRAT in its 10th year of operation is XIAMEN's First and Only INDIAN dining which is Owned and Run by Chef/Sommellier John Solomon aka INDIANO JOHN. SAMRAT, specializes in Northern Indian Cuisine, mainly focused on grilled food prepared in the traditional charcoal oven called THE TANDOOR. SAMRAT also takes pride in providing the widest selection of Fine Wines and an unique choice of Gourmet beers from around the World. SAMRAT is a limited 50 seater, so advance bookings are highly recommended.
Reviewed 9 October 2013

During my trip last month to Xiamen I eat twice at Indiano John's restaurant. It was the best food I had in Xiamen. It is absolutely a must to go to and eat if you like the Indian kitchen like I do.

Besides the food the atmosphere is also very nice as well as the very entertaining host John.

Do check it out.

Richard (from the Netherlands)

There are newer reviews for INDIANO JOHN's SAMRAT

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Liked the food, great, but disliked those small cockroaches in their liquor shelf. please use pest control immediately.

1  Thank DubaiChamp
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We had a really good meal at Indiano John's. Coming from South Africa, we appreciate our wine and our curries and can vouch for the quality of both at this restaurant. The food was delicious, we had two curries as well as some appetizers and found them all to be excellent. My girlfriend is more of a wine fundi than I am, and said that the selection was excellent.

At the end of the evening we had a long chat with the owner over a few glasses of choice wine and got to know the character behind the restaurant.

A really special evening and definitely a recommended stop in Xiamen.

1  Thank Murray B
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I was visiting Xiamen on a business trip and several of my vegetarian co-workers wanted a tasty meal, Indiano John's came highly recommended by our counterparts from Xiamen.
When we arrived it was a bit hard to find as it is down a small road next to a cinema. However once you walk in the atmosphere is a sudden change from the surroundings! The ground floor is a glass base under which is filled with hundreds of wine bottles.

The place was full so we sat on the second floor with a slight wait, so i recommend reservation before visiting.

We were seated shortly after admiring the decor including a picture of the Good the Bad and the Ugly featuring the owner John in varying scenes from the movie. Note you can order local beers as the Good the Bad and the Ugly, and i ordered the Ugly and it is a massive beer mug not for the faint at heart.

John is also a wine connoisseur and has a wide selection so don't be shy to ask him for recommendations etc.

Back to the food - we ordered a wide variety of vegetarian dishes all were delicious and what made it even better was John prepared his special dynamite sauce which had a good kick to it. Though many of my friends asked to make it more spicy it was definitely a added treat to the already well spiced and tasty food.

The group as a whole had well to many beers, and before the night was over we had a few more tequila shots with John who took care of our demanding table with a smile. We left very happy and of course over the week long trip returned for a second round once more.

3  Thank bbigote
Reviewed 12 September 2013

One thing that stands out to me about Indiana Johns is the people really show care for their customers. By that I mean the blend of Indian hospitality and smiles in the middle of busy Xiamen is very refreshing. Josh is one of the main waiters and is very personable. I appreciate the waitresses professionalism and smiles. John, the manager also aims for excellence in the food industry. They have been in Xiamen for more than 5 years I believe, so among foreigners who are living here long term they have a very good reputation. The best Indian food I have had, given I've never been to India, but this place makes me want to go! I leave not only with a full appetite, but also very pleased we have such amazing Indian food in Xiamen!

1  Thank NathanCFields