“Value Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 1,251 Hotels in Xiamen
Legazpi, Philippines
“Value Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I chose this hotel because of its positive reviews here on tripadvisor. And indeed I wasnt disappointed at all. This hotel is considered as a 5-star hotel (Xiamen standards -- I suppose) as this doesnt look very 5-star for me. (as compared to the 5-star hotels that I have been to).

A boutique hotel as it may seem and generally a very good hotel to consider around Xiamen.
Its location is very nice as this is very close to Gulangyu island, the ferry terminal and shopping districts of Zhongshan Road Pedestrian Avenue. Shops and restaurants lined the district and It was a gastronomic experience for me. I tried popular street foods like grilled squid, shawarma type of sandwich but in a chinese taste twist. Chicken feet on skewers, chicken gizzard and liver and not to mention chicken heart (yes heart!!) on skewers too!! Oh what an experience!! But for a tourist like me who doesnt speak any chinese at all --- is a great ordeal!! I try to order food or even buy things I want in english but mostly shook their heads in amazement signing that they dont speak english.

Now back to the hotel -- The room:
The room is big and nicely decorated (over the top design? hmmmm a bit tacky -- but understood that this is a boutique hotel). Bathroom is nice -- with granite walls and floors. Nice hot and cold showers and complete basic toilet amenities. Cable channeled television 98% in Chinese and 2% english (CNN and Star Movies)

One restaurant operates inside the hotel and I tried eating their for lunch and tried their executive lunch meal for RMB48.00. The next day, I tried to have breakfast inside the hotel and checked on what kind of buffet they had -- they served assorted cereals, fruits, breads, and a combination of western and chinese foods. Priced at RMB138.

The staffs are very nice and they tried their best to communicate with you in English. Staffs are polite and very accommodating. I give my 100% rating to the hotel staffs. Thank you to all Tegoo Staffs!

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic -- I recommend that you get a room with a window. Some rooms DONT HAVE an...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
泰谷酒店, Director of Sales at Xiamen Tegoo Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for you stayed with us and your positive comments, we would like to deliver an outstanding service as well as our boutique decoration for the every guests and we look forward to welcoming you back again! Any further assistance pls contact at tony.lin@tegoohotel.com with thanks!

Best Regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have stayed in almost every hotel of reputable status at Xiamen's Lundu (Ferry) precinct at Siming district in my years of business travel to this beautiful island. The main reason for my return once and again to this part of Xiamen, is obviously the beauty of Gulangyu islet, especially in the evening lights. If you see my past reviews, I'd stayed at the Millennium Harbor View Hotel (when it was going by a different name actually), the Indigo Hotel and the Swiss International Hotel (former Wyndham). None of the above three stays were extremely pleasing (not that they were very bad either) so I decided to try a new outfit this time by choosing Tegoo Hotel.

I must say I came with high hopes for the Tegoo as a beautiful, boutique hotel with exceptional service. But I left in my last day with mixed feelings, even to the extent that I will almost certainly not return to this hotel to stay. What happened and what went wrong? Before all the criticisms, give Tegoo Hotel the due praises first.

In terms of hardware, this hotel more than delivers. I had a look at the most basic no-window room, and must say it is nowhere as horrifying as it sounds. The decor is pleasing and the lightings truly give that signature boutique feel. I stayed in a slightly bigger room with windows. I was not upgraded (despite claim by the front desk that I was) but this room which I had is good enough for me. Reasonable size, and with almost all the amenities which you'd want in any business hotel. There is no bath tub, which is no issue to me, just a comfortably-sized shower stall. Carpets are new enough and the use of purple, green and brown give that chic and polished feel. The only annoyance I'd was the lack of a shoe horn in the room, which was quickly solved (almost except for some days which I'll relate later) by the housekeeping staff giving one to me when I requested the next morning.

That begins the problems I had with this hotel. First, the non-smoking floors are not bona fide non-smoking floors. I stayed at the 18th storey, and I saw with my own eyes a lad crouched on the sofa at the lift lobby playing with his mobile phone and puffing away, right underneath a no smoking sign. I was appalled, as even though I stared at him, he continued puffing away and gave me the dirty look instead. I am sad for this boy, who's obviously no more than 18 or 19, as his parents must have been extremely lax on him.

I used the common phone on the level to call service staff to inform that somebody is smoking on a non smoking floor. Despite two attempts with about 20 rings each time, NOBODY picked up. I returned to my room to dial for the service staff, and that was when I received a response what blew me away: guests can smoke on non-smoking floors inside their rooms, but not in the common areas. Right, I re-composed myself and stated that the lift lobby is a common area, so please do something about it. The staff on the other end of the phone seemed reluctant and brushed me off, and said that she thinks somebody will take care of that.

Now, this a novel way to define non smoking levels in hotels, what's more a proper, posh hotel like this one. I did not want to argue, but suffice to say my confidence with Tegoo Hotel has gone down several notches. While I understand many Chinese from non-urban areas are less cultured and tend to be uncouth, discourteous or downright rude and selfish, the hotel can and should make its stand clear. After all, other guests like me pay to stay in a non smoking floor.

This unpleasant incident has a sub-episode, I was trying to call at the common phone to tell the staff to request the lad stop smoking there, but because no one picked up I asked two of the cleaner workers coming up in one lift who I should contact. But before I could even complete my sentence, this duo of a lady and a man in their late 40s shouted to me: Don't tell us anything, we're only cleaners and don't know anything; we cannot help... In my exasperation, I said I will give them money if they agree to help me, and miraculously, they pressed the door-open button and asked, so what do you need? I was speechless at that instant, and decided to return to my room. Needless to say, I did not give them a single cent.

The irritation continued into the following day, when I discovered the shoe horn requested on my first day has gone missing. I had to re-request it to be sent, and the shoe horn went missing again by the third day! In my 6-night stay at this hotel, I'd to request for the shoe horn for 3 times, until I got fed up one morning and told Susie, one of the supervisors that this cannot be the practice of a proper, business hotel. Only then did housekeeping (or whoever else) decide to leave the shoe horn for my daily use in my room. 'Nuff said.

Waiting for the lifts in the morning or the evening can take much more time one would expect in any hotel. I may be unlucky to have come at peak holiday season, and the hotel is possibly fully booked. The guests in this hotel are almost all from other parts of China, and many of them are not polite to say the least. They shove their way out when the lift reaches their floors, and they do not bother to press door-open and wait for you if they see you coming after them into the lift. They also make weird comments like, how come he's so fat and still wanna squeeze in, and how come he's wearing perfume when's he's such an ugly man. Good grief, thank god I am not some petty person who take such things too seriously, but still, assuming that I do not understand their dialects is not a wise thing. Their parents must teach them some manners here, even if I am admittedly fat, old and ugly. At least I bother to be clean, well shaven and properly perfumed.

The worst experience I had with these guests at the lift lobby was with this old lady (presumably the grandmother) and a small kid of about 5-6 years old. While waiting for the lift to come, the kid said he wanted to pee, and his grandmother asked him to pee into the dustbin at the lobby. The unthinking kid actually followed her instructions and did that, and when the lift came and he wasn't finished with his business, dragged him into the lift and asked him to continue doing so at the corner of the lift where I was also taking. You can imagine my intense horror and disgust, and how speechless I was.

The telephone operator or whoever picking up outside calls should really be trained to better their English skills. Two of my UK colleagues called to connect to my room in two separate occasions, and both times, they had to call my mobile again to speak to me, as they said it's obvious no one understands English in this hotel. I was quite surprised to hear that, as the Tegoo Hotel does cater to an international crowd and each time I call their service line, they speak the usual few English phrases before switching to Mandarin after discovering that I can speak their language. This is one aspect which Tegoo Hotel has to pull up its socks, as my colleagues were not amused (one of them was actually my boss).

On the last day when I checked out, there was a queue and the process took somewhat longer than expected. In order to save time, with one staff Lisa doing the check out for me, I told another staff Mandy that I had left behind some fruits in the room which I could not finish during my stay. They are still good so in case housekeeping would like to keep them or even give them to the poor, by all means do so. Mandy frowned and gave me a blank look, and I asked if she understood what I was saying. She frowned further and I had to say, yes, I am talking to you Mandy, is my putonghua incomprehensible? Still no response and that pained look, until Lisa came back and thanked me for my stay and gave me my bills. Bizarre.

The only pleasant experience in terms of service I had was with the concierge boy Sam, whose native land is the place to look for the ceramic art called blanc de chine (China white). I was particularly looking to buy some of these pieces from his native Dehua, which is about 3-4 hours' drive from Xiamen. We chatted and I found that he's a very intelligent boy who helped me with my stamps when I wanted to post off a card back to Singapore. And when the pieces I bought at one of the shops in Xiamen were delivered to the hotel, he took the initiative to take care of these fragile pieces and keep them safely in the store until my day of depature. Thank you Sam for being willing to help and having such high EQ; you'll go far in life.

You may think I am somewhat snooty in my review of this hotel, and I cannot deny the culture shocks I have when I stayed here. But really, I have been in and out of China in the past 15 years so such things should have become less common as the country progresses. I suppose not, or is it Tegoo Hotel simply attracts such clientele? Their charges aren't exactly the lowest in Xiamen, or is there an unwritten message that international guests like me should simply spend a few hundreds more and stay at the internationally-managed Indigo and Millennium? What a waste, for the Tegoo Hotel is a beautiful outfit with many priceless art pieces appealing to an art lover like me.

Finally, just a tip to anybody looking to stay here. There is massive construction work just outside the hotel, presumably for the metro system. This should last for several years as the works just started this year. The closure of parts of the road in front of the hotel means traffic jams coming to and going away from the hotel. Of course, after the works are done and the station springs up right at the door-step of the Tegoo Hotel, its advantaged location near the Ferry (to Gulangyu) and the beautiful part of Xiamen will move up several notches. Perhaps in 2018?

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, don't be scared off by the windowless room; it's worth the money...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Sal the Fat Fish
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Great location and much cheaper than the nearby hotels (Indigo, Swisshotel, Millennium) - walking distance to the ferry to Gulangyu, shopping district. Fairly extensive buffet breakfast with both western and chinese options. Clean rooms, comfortable beds and the very interesting decorating of the rooms and hotels made for a good stay.

Room Tip: The city view leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaveWarner
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your stayer and review, we are trying to create a Xiamen style boutique hotel with high competitive rate and quality, you are more than welcome to coming again. Happy new year!

Director of Sales & Marketing
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed 4ngts and glad I chose Tegoo for it's great location (it's around 2mins away from Millennium Harbourview Hotel)

Tips:
- Airport to hotel: taxi took around 20mins and cost around RMB 45 (went by the tunnel) - heard some reviews that taxi drivers try to take non-locals on the longer route (Huandao Road) which goes along the more scenic route overseeing the sea (the driver from the hotel to the airport tried this but I said to go via the tunnel)
- Booked the hotel on Agoda (Deluxe room deal on executive floor - RMB 380/ngt no breakfast)

Positives:
- Very large room (split into a lounge with its own toilet, sofas and TV and the bedroom which was huge and had a shower and toilet)
- Comfy large kingsize bed
- Good wifi (no need for password)
- Friendly staff
- Great location (walking distance to Zhongshan Road - less than 10mins), very close to the sea
- Bus stop less than 50m up the road (outside hospital and between Millennium hotel) - cheap and convenient way to get around the city (I just used it to and from Lundu Ferry Pier - RMB 1 per ride)

Negatives:
- Decor not to my tastes (gaudy European look and design - a lot of China has this look and feel)
- No bathtub - a luxury rather than a necessity - would have been nice
- No gym or swimming pool
- The shower and toilet in the bathroom had no separate partition so there is no privacy
- No lighting in the wardrobe/cupboard which was frustrating when using the safe
- The aircon units (two of them) did not seem to heat up the room even when set at 30C - constantly at around 19-20C so just turned it off

Would definitely consider this hotel if I were to visit Tegoo again. For it's price and location, I could live with the negatives above.

Room Tip: Managed to get a room on 21st Floor - no issues with noise. Would make sure that the aircon works to...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mokkey8
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your stayer with us and your comments, we are trying best to create a Xiamen local style boutique hotel with high competitive rate and quality, we are sorry that parts of Deco didnt met your need and we are planning improve the facilities gradually. What we purpose is get rid of some high cost facilities which invest on the rooms and F&B. You are more than welcome back again. Happy new year!

Director of Sales & Markeing
Racine, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

From both a cost and quality perspective, this place is EXCELLENT!!!

I booked the Tegoo for our night of arrival from Shenzhen. I reserved a Deluxe King with no Window. The main room was a big square (12' x 12') and had a ton of room...easily meets US size standards...the entire room was maybe 12' x 20' including the bathroom and entryway. The bathroom is all glass as is becoming the tradition in China. However, the Tegoo provided for a bit of privacy during those certain personal moments (hehe) by providing a floor-to-ceiling wrap-around curtain to partition off the entire bathroom.

The room decoration was very modern and the TV was a large-sized flat-panel Toshiba. The bed was extremely comfortable with all white linens and duvet-style comforter.

Additional back-story...we stayed at Tegoo for the first night with the intention of staying on Gulangyu Island for the following three nights. Anyway, we lugged our bags onto the island and all the way to other property (rated a top ten on TripAdvisor), checked in, and found the rooms to be small and the bathroom dirty. We were so upset at our decision to leave the wonderful Tegoo for the inferior hotel on the island. After a brief dinner and a bit of rest from the long walk with our luggage, we decided that we just couldn't bear to stay at the G-island property. We went back, checked out (thankfully receiving a full refund) and headed back to the Tegoo in Xiamen. We actually made the new reservation while sitting in the Tegoo lobby and paid even less than the night before...this time we booked for the next three nights (Fri, Sat, Sun). They even gave us our previous room back. Loved the Tegoo!

Room Tip: In spite of a little uncertainty about getting a room without a window, it turned out to be awesome...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jffc
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your stayed with us and your positive comments, we are trying best to create a Xiamen local style boutique hotel with fashion deco, it seems that our boutique rooms without window might be a challenge to the guests, however we are trying to set up the room with a private, unique and comfort experience with very competitive rate meanwhile we are providing the different room categories to meet the different needs. You are more than welcome to the hotel again. Happy new year!

Director of Sales & Marketing
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed for 4 nights while visiting Xiamen and nearby Gulangyu island in October 2013. We wanted to be near the ferry terminal, which is why we chose the Tegoo.
Location – less than 500m walk to the ferry terminal to Gulangyu island, Zhongshan Rd pedestrian street, a number of restaurants and coffee shops (Starbucks / Pacific Coffee / Caffe Bene). Buses stopping nearby, many taxis.
Room – we stayed in a double Cityview room, which was fine. Clean and comfortable, although a little dark. Bathroom very clean, but only separated from the main room by a curtain (no door on the toilet!). I guess tolerable if you’re not shy, but not to my liking! Free wifi in the room worked well. AC worked well - a relief in humid Xiamen!
The hotel bar was great, with beautiful views of the city and the water.
Overall it was a nice, comfortable stay in a good location, the main downfall for us was not having a proper door on the bathroom. Also no fitness centre/pool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClaraAustralia
Welwyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel is very central and convenient for the town and GulangLu. The room I had (with a window) was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom has glass walls which, for some reason, is quite common in Chinese hotels but there is a curtain to cover the wall. The staff I found very friendly and helpful e.g for writing destinations in Chinese characters for taxi drivers. The food in the restaurant was good but I thought a bit expensive. Get a deal with breakfast included if possible. Make sure you pay the bill in RMB not foreign currency.
Overall this is a nice hotel to stay in.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo