“Excellent authentic food, very clean and friendly staff”
Review of TOSEA Tastes of South East Asia - CLOSED

TOSEA Tastes of South East Asia
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I don't normally write reviews but thought I should because we stumbled upon this restaurant called TOSEA in Xiamen and the food there brought back some of the tastes of my childhood memories.
We had the Malaysian Curry, the Vietnamese Pho and all the starters. For desserts, my wife ( well travelled caucasian) had the Mango (she loved it!) and I went for the durian (I loved it! but I didn't get a kiss from her that night!).
We had a blast! and we love the concept of eating our way through the many countries in South East Asia.
Would thoroughly recommend it if you are ever in Xiamen and fancied great tasting authentic South East Asian meal.

VBS UK

Reviewed 29 January 2012

This restaurant is nice to add some more choices and variety to Xiamen, but if you've traveled SE Asia and know what food is supposed to taste like then TOSEA will disappoint you. The mango-sticky rice that was praised by a previous reviewer was not like what we've tasted in Thailand or Laos... the sticky rice didn't have the right "nutty" coconut flavor and they topped it with peanuts of all things! The curry was very watery, more like a soup than a nice, thick, pasty curry... broth based instead of coconut milk? They also forgot to make one dish of our order, which was kind of annoying. The one redeeming factor was the Thai tea, which was excellent. Prices were also pretty good, at around 20-25rmb for a dish.
If you want good curry then try Golden Elephant over on International food street (by Rainbow at Si Bei Lu Kou).

TayeTOSEA, Owner at TOSEA Tastes of South East Asia, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Hi Audjie, thank you very much for your review. My name is Taye and I am the owner of TOSEA. I was born in Thailand and my father is from Laos and my mother from Cambodia – all the recipes are family ones I grew up with. To address your query, all our curries are made from coconut milk. Not all curries are alike- some are thicker and others less so and the Malaysian one you had is not the thicker type. We will however be introducing the thicker style Thai curries in the coming months so please come and try it. The peanuts on the sticky rice are there instead of the mung beans because most of our Chinese customers did not like the harder style mung bean . Sorry! There’s no excuse for losing one of your dishes though – so I’m very sorry about that! I’m glad you liked the Thai Tea and as for prices we want to make it so that South East Asian food is accessible to all. Thanks again I really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Excellent find. A short walk from the Marco Polo Hotel. Bright joyful atmosphere with good food, nicely served. Menu written in "proper" English which is a rarity here. Liked the mango and sticky rice to finish with. Served with the best coffee yet.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Very clean family friendly restaurant. Very reasonable £2-£3 for a main meal. Delicious vietnamese noodles of VERY high quality. I ate here 5 times in 7 days. A delight!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

This was a really great surprise. We didn't know Xiamen and were a bit nervous about where to take the family, but we felt right at home immediately. We do, however, feel we know Asian food, and TOSEA was very authentic.
It just feels like a really well run place, so the staff are happy and the atmosphere is great for diners.
If you don't know the town, then choose it as a place you can trust. If you do know the town, I would imagine this is a place you'd keep going back to.
Good value for money too (GBP3 for your average main I'd say) AND free wifi (which I always greatly appreciate).
Well done TOSEA, and thanks for a great time.