“A taste of Thailand and vietnam”
Review of TOSEA Tastes of South East Asia - CLOSED

TOSEA Tastes of South East Asia
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Very good variety of typical thai and vietnamese food.
Great value and good service.
Only place i could find Nems!!

Reviewed 21 October 2012

This restaurant is my favorite place for lunch in Xiamen
They offer a wide selection of Asian food ( Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian)

The dining room is very clean, the decoration is simple but colorful

I particularly enjoyed their Pho soup, the dried curry beef cold noodles, the spring rolls and the papaya salad.

The staff is very friendly and are quite efficient, just do not forget to tell them how spicy you'd like the food ( you can choose upon order) to avoid any bad surprises.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We have been eating at this small restaurant 6 times now, so I feel we have tried and tested the place over a period of time. We usually go for the Thai spring rolls (available in small and large portion), the vietnamese chicken salad, the Pad Thai, Beef of chicken curry with rice. We also tried their mango ice cream (imported from Thailand as they say).We have noticed that the presentation and size of the portions have drastically changed over time, and not in a good way. The seasoning is bearably there, no more vinegar and plum sauce to accompany the Vietnamese chicken salad, a minimum of crushed peanuts for the Pad Thai, no vegetables in the curries. The ice is far from extraordinary and I am doubting that this would actually be imported from Thailand anyway. In short: good place to have a quick snack, not great if you are looking for dishes made with love... The staff in not particularly friendly and do not speak a word of english. Too bad because they started out great.

1  Thank RemoraSurabaya
TayeTOSEA, Owner at TOSEA Tastes of South East Asia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Hello RemoraSurabaya, firstly thank you very much for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience at the restaurant recently. Just to address your concerns in order: firstly with the Vietnamese chicken salad, the seasoning is already mixed within the salad, there has never been an accompanying vinegar and plum sauce to go with this dish. With the crushed peanuts, I am really sorry if you did not get a decent amount- it is spooned onto a small plate so the amount is not consistent. If you should come again, please don’t hesitate to ask for more peanuts or chillies or second servings of some sauces as a lot of our customers do. We would rather avoid wastage by giving customers more if they want it instead of wasting food. That also ensures that we keep prices down. Our chicken curry dish contains bamboo shoots, green beans, capsicum and chinese asparagus so I am really at a lost to explain why it didn’t have any vegetables as we are very strict on quantity and portioning. With the ice-cream, we sell and import the same premium Thai ice-cream that the Pan-Pacific Hotel and Marco Polo Hotel sell but charge half the price. We would never advertise or publish something that is not true. You only need to try the durian ice-cream and you will know for sure that it is from Thailand. With our staff, I am sorry if they were not particularly friendly there is no excuse for that. No, they do not speak English (a few are learning) but we have a fully comprehensive bilingual menu with pictures and full descriptions in English and Chinese so hopefully all you need to do is point and ask. Again, I am sorry that you did not have a good experience but believe me when I say that the dishes are made with love as they are my Mother and Grandmother’s recipes and I wouldn’t hear the end of it from my family if it changes. Just so that you know how much we pride ourselves on our food and cleanliness, TOSEA was just recently awarded the TOP 5 cleanest Restaurant in Xiamen award by the Xiamen Public Health Bureau. The restaurant is now in the running for the Cleanest Restaurant in Fujian Province Competition.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

This place is great. Very clean, bright, and joyful.

The food taste very like the real food of southeast-asia. They have a lot of different dishes like curry, skewers, salads, bobun (which I love), real Pho, mango sticky rice and so on.

And not only the food is good, the price is cheap!

You should try!

Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

I tried the minced pork dish.. It was not great. For a person who likes spicy food the pork dish will be a disappointment. The chicken wings were too oily! But the chicken Thai dish was good.. The food is affordable .. Can visit only once...

TayeTOSEA, Owner at TOSEA Tastes of South East Asia, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Hello Dhar17,

Thank you very much for giving TOSEA a try. I am sorry that you did not like Thai Minced Pork Curry- this in fact is not a spicy dish, it is described as a "fragrant pork curry" in the menu. In order not to disappoint in terms of level of spiciness, we are introducing a chilli rating system in our new menu so hopefully next time if you are wanting something spicier chilli ratings will help better meet expectations. With the chicken wings, they are grilled not fried so I don't know why they would be oily- so my apologies there. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Thai chicken. Yes our aim is to make good quality south east asian food at affordable prices. Thanks again for your review.