“A mixed view”

Ranked #147 of 442 Hotels in Lanzhou
Zurich, Switzerland
“A mixed view”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Arriving from more remote areas, it is fair to say that our expectations of hotels had dropped somewhat when we checked into the Xilan International. This high rise hotel has seen better times. Although the room was large, had tea making facilities and a good view, the furnishings are threadbare. Reasonably priced. The highlights were the massage center (128 yuan obtained almost 100 minutes of relaxation time) and the breakfast which was located in the restaurant (not revolving at the time) on the top floor. Food in the restaurant for dinner was not particularly impressive and no English menu. The swimming pool was also closed due to a fault.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hokitika, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Earlier this week I spent a few nights at the Xilan International Hotel in Lanzhou
as I was on my vacation.I'm pleased I stayed there.I had a clean , comfortable and spacious room on the 22nd floor of the Hotel.The pice at 290 CNY per night was a bargain,and included
a beautiful smorgasbord breakfast each morning in the restaurant up on the 30 th floor.The
food was delicious,and included rice,noodles an array of cooked meats and vegetables, and fruit and cakes offering a really nice traditional Chinese buffet style breakfast.The staff on duty in
the restaurant and the hotel were quite polite and friendly and made me feel very welcome.I really enjoyed going swimming in the nice swimming pool on the fifth floor.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again in Lanzhou.Unfortunately the staff didn't speak much English but I was eager to practise my Mandarin,so I recommend taking a phrasebook if you don't speak any Mandarin. Andrew

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank andrewknight7
Menlo Park
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I think the ranking of a hotel is a very personal thing and sometimes one realizes one may get a little spoiled over time, but there is a limit as to what you can accept.

This hotel is way below the line and to mention this upfront, I didn't stay even one night and checked out quite soon after I had opened the door of the room. Therefore my impressions are very limited.

But even in that short time I had seen enough to not want to stay there. I'm really surprised this is considered to be a 4 star hotel.

The lobby is pretty standard, but okay. Staff is friendly, but I already noticed some wear and tear in the lobby while usually that is used to showcase the hotel.

The entire interior looked old and not clean, but I got a shock when I opened the door of the room. This room was plain dirty and worn out. There were no facilities for your suitcase so I opened the closet, but I didn't even want to put my suitcase in that dirty place. Everywhere you looked it looked old and dirty, but the bathroom was just gross. I've never seen something like this. The bath tub was incredibly dirty and had some disgusting looking orange smears on the bottom. No way I would use that. I didn't even check the bed because I expect the worse based on what I'd seen and decided to check out again.

Luckily the staff was very accommodating and although it was already the end of the afternoon it was no problem to check out. I appreciated that.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 May 2012

dirty room, dirty bathroom, i guess not much else to add unfortunately, oh yes, a 'five spices / cumin' smell everywhere, just to add to the whole picture...

Room Tip: dont book here