“Not Bad”

Ranked #5 of 447 Hotels in Lanzhou
Los Angeles, California
“Not Bad”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

It's the best hotel in Lanzhou, which makes sense since the hotel is centrally located and the lobby is spacious and grand. The breakfast area serves pretty good food, but when I was there a few tour groups were staying there too, and they ran out of food the first day. Plus, there were crazy lines to get eggs and noodles. The restaurant manager did come by to apologize, which is always nice.

The rooms are old, but still rather comfortable. Internet was free, which is always a plus (I'm young and I need my internet to function). But the bizarre thing was that I left the room to go sightseeing and when I came back in the evening, someone (I guess the maids?) had taken all my bathroom garbage and tried to flush it down the toilet. Obviously this clogged the toilet and since I got back pretty late and only realized my toilet issue at 11 PM, I didn't think to call housekeeping (in retrospect I should've called). So basically I had to go downstairs to the lobby to use the restroom in the morning.

Overall my experience wasn't too bad. And at least I have something to talk about when sharing quirky experiences in China.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Lavvy88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 May 2012

stayed 1 night and enjoyed that it was clean and comfy - compared to my horrible stay at xilan hotel -

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank bengrenon
Port Angeles, Washington
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Our deluxe standard room room with a view was nice. The location was good; next to a bank, across from the post office, and near a department store where we bought items for the train trip to Lhasa. We heard the buffet dinner was good, but after paying, we discovered many empty serving dishes and lots of food mislabeled in English (lost in translation?). After eating a weird dinner, we let the front desk know. We saw a massage ad in the elevator, so we went to the fourth floor. Several eager women greeted us when we stepped from the elevator. Rooms visible down the hall had open doors. Back at the front desk, after a quick retreat, the concierge responded to my husband's inquiry, and directed us to the hotel health club for his massage, telling us they have nothing to do with the business on the fourth floor. En route to the health club, we passed a noodle restaurant where we should have eaten. With few westerners checking in, you won't find CNN or any English TV channels, and if you do, reception is very poor. We had lots of laughs over pretty good cocktails in the lounge overlooking the lobby.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank indrablanco
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012 via mobile

The hotel is conveniently located in the city centre, and is generally well equipped and clean. The standard of hotels in China is different from what we might be used to in Europe. The rooms are a good size, with furniture in a good state of repair. The bathroom was ok, but could do with some refurbishment. The shower worked fine though. Atmosphere in the room was very dry, but a humidifier is supplied..use it, it helps.
The restaurant serves a mixture of western and Chinese food, with a buffet breakfast that includes molest made to order. The evening buffet is "ok", but the steaks we had were black on the outside and raw on the inside.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but know what to expect.

Stayed February 2012
1 Thank AJMTrips
Paris, France
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Overall the hotel is OK.
BUT needs some refurbishment, carpet needs help, toilet was not flushing properly and it is better not to look at details (shower curtains, silicon joints etc.). My room was on 19th floor, windows to the main road, giving a nice view on the crazy traffic, can be noisy from early in the morning.
Lanzhou is very very polluted (at least in February) adding to this the heavy Chinese smokers in the hotel: eyes, throat and lungs are suffering.
Don't expect a nice continental breakfast, you better convert to noodles, rice, meat and soup...
The location is fine, not too far from a nice walk along the yellow river. Avoid shopping malls but go to small markets instead.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank nomuchfrills
London
Reviewed 16 October 2011

No complaints about this hotel. For China, it is clean, everything is working although the air condition is suspect and very moody! The Chinese breakfast is excellent. The staff in general very helpful although I had problems getting stamps for my postcards. Yes, everything is very dated and the hotel needs a refurbishment but this is China and you are very lucky to get a clean room! Some of the communal areas need a good clean but remember that 4-5 stars in China is really 2-3 stars in the rest of the world. The hotel is perfectly acceptable if you don't set your standards too high.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
rome
Reviewed 28 September 2011

this hotel is conveniently located, near shops, restaurants and in the centre of the city. Is one of th few hotel in this area of china where you can get a western breakfast, believe me it is NOT that easy. If you do not feel going out for dinner there is a chinese restaurant with a very good mongolian hotpot and noodles made before you by a very expert cook or next to the hall an all you can eat buffet with various kind of food (if I remember well is 180 rmb per person, very expensive for china but remember you are in a 4 star hotel)

Room Tip: rooms facing the front can be noisy