“Good choice in Dongguan”

Sheraton Dongguan Hotel
Ranked #11 of 1,087 Hotels in Dongguan
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have stayed at the Sheraton in Dongguan on three occasions over the last year and would recommend it as a good business hotel. It was especially busy as there was a trade fair in town, but that actually improved the atmosphere in the bar and restaurants. The complementary welcome drink was appreciated. I have to agree with other reviewers that the rooms, although generously proportioned, are in need of updating. They also share with other hotels in a China a kind of grandiose, masculine / American style with which is not so much to my European taste. There are a lot of dark finishes and marble which can feel a bit oppressive when combined with the endless smog outside with window. On previous occasions I've had a front facing room, but this time I got a fairly un-prepossesing side view.

The Italian resturant is good. As a lone traveller I was positioned at a table in front of the kitchen and felt rather "on show", but was impressed that the chef came out at the end of my meal and asked me and neighbouring diners if we had enjoyed our dinner. That was a nice touch.

Dongguan is a city undergoing a lot of development, with a new metro system under construction. It needs it, as the traffic can be pretty horrendous.

Despite my personal preference for something a bit lighter and brighter, this is a very sound and reliable hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front - at least you can see some of the bright lights of Dongguan!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
HotelManager999, Manager at Sheraton Dongguan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your stay experience at our hotel just recently. We will be delighted to share your excellent feedback with the team. These will certainly encourage the team to improve the quality of our services to better meet the needs of all of our guests.

We appreciate your constructive feedback on our rooms. The project to update our rooms is under progress. Our rooms are still tops on cleanliness and with superior linens. Yes, our Italian restaurant and with our new Italian chef will strive to maintain to be the best in Dongguan.

I hope to personally welcome and meet up with you on your next stay at Sheraton Dongguan. Just ask for me upon your arrival.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for the longest time....

Stayed in both Deluxe n Club rooms..
Both are about the same in size..
There is a work desk n a ottoman chair to sit n relax..
DVD players are made available upon request..
The WiFi is pretty reliable

Main difference is the rain shower in the Club rooms..
Lounge access is over rated for me cuz I m never back in time for it..
All in all nothing to fault the rooms..
But you get wiser as you age..
I now avoid the rooms facing the main road..
The bus n lorry drivers in Houjie are very liberal when using car horns..
It is not as if the rooms are badly sound proof, it is just that the no amount of protection will work...

The breakfast spread was decent for a china hotel..
so I dun wanna fault the hotel on that..

The Check-In was fast n the lobby is well kept after all these years
So again nothing bad to say...

The problem
the swimming pool...
OMG.. when I was there.. it was caked in algae!
I hopped into the water and immediately scrambled out...
it was mortifying...

In summary,
Great location.
Great rooms
Great Service
Good Breakfast
SCARY Pool

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the main road..!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank shoe_fetish
HotelManager999, Manager at Sheraton Dongguan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your stay experience for our hotel. It is through continuous feedback, from guests such as yourself, that we are able to objectively review the facilities and services we provide to ensure that they meet our guests' expectations.

You may know that our hotel had enjoyed very encouraging occupancy since we opened in 2003. Into our 9th year of operation, continued efforts have been put into the upgrading of the hardware as well as the facilities of the property. Our owning company has been supportive of plans, present and future committing to future success of Sheraton Dongguan Hotel.

We are aware of the algae problem in the pool and is actively cleaning it daily and putting the appropriate chemical to make it algaeless. Being an outdoor pool and with recent bad weather conditions, we just have to work harder on it.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have stayed in about six different hotels in Houjie and like the Sheraton best. Go twice a year for about four to five nights. The Sheraton feels more like an International Hotel than the others. Regal Palace is certainly opulent and the Q is cool. Sheraton feels more comfortable. I like a more of a Western style hotel when i traveling in China just personal preference.

Room Tip: Regular room is big no need to spend more on an upgrade.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your stay experience for our hotel. We will be delighted to share your excellent feedback with the team. These will certainly encourage the team to improve the quality of our services to better meet the needs of all of our guests.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

I am a platinum member of Sheraton, so I obviously like the brand a lot but the bedrooms and bathrooms are really in need of updating now. I have stayed here many many times since it first opened and have to say at the moment the level of room comfort is better at the Haiyatt around the corner. It is a shame because the Sheraton was always plushier than this, its just too tired now. On arrival the hotel its self is very impressive with huge lobby and a great lobby bar. Italian restaurant is really very good and even if I don't stay at the hotel, I still come to have dinner here. Buffet breakfast excellent, with a wide choice for all tastes. Over all the hotel is good but for the rates charged they need start to update the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your stay experience for our hotel.

under progress. Our rooms are still tops on cleanliness and with superior linens. As for room
rate, we will never be able to compete with the local Haiyatt hotel. We have always maintain the
quality of our services to better meet the needs of all of our guests. Yes, our Italian restaurant
and with our new Italian chef will maintain to be the best in Houjie.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Excellent location, updatet in some renovated floors and excellent Club Level Service. Located close to business and fairground, with a KARE Design Store and many other good fashion shops in the area, Sheraton developed a nice way of treating and welcome. A smart upgrade policy let the reurning guest experience the service level. One of the best italian restaurants of the area inhouse.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Reviewed 24 May 2012

When I check in to this hotel in the evening, I was surprised that lots of mosquito were there chasing me in the lobby, the same thing happened when I was having a drink in the lobby bar, fortunately, the rooms were quite OK., no mosquito was spotted throughout the night.

Being a SPG member, I was upgraded to the SPG room, the room was new and nicely design, but the bed was just average… a bit old already. However, my friend stayed in a non SPG floor, his room was quite old and very basic, not quite up to the Sheraton standard, and certainly not worth the room rate they asked for, I am sure that you can get a similar room in other hotels nearby at a lower rate. My room was facing the main road, the sound proof was quite OK., I can hear cars constantly beeping their horns but is not up to an annoying level.

The location is good for me in a way that there are scheduled bus (between 7am to 5pm) from outside this hotel going to Huanggang checkpoint (to Hong Kong) in just an hour's time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
HotelManager999, Manager at Sheraton Dongguan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your constructive feedback which will encourage us to do even better.

We have taken note of your comment on mosquitoes which are normally very active in the change of season and we have already taken remedial actions with our contractor to eliminate.

We look forward to welcoming you, colleagues and friends to stay at Sheraton Dongguan in the near future.

With kind regards,
Tommy Yap - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Service very good
Room Was ok
Buffet Was fantastic
Dinner in italian restaurant Was excellent
Lobby with bar and live music is very good
Very good 3 day!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
HotelManager999, Manager at Sheraton Dongguan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your stay experience at our hotel just recently. I will be sure to share your excellent feedback with the team. These will certainly enable us to improve the quality of our services to better meet the needs of our guests.