“Very Chinese Hyatt serving fish heads for breakfast”

Hyatt Regency Dongguan
Ranked #1 of 1,087 Hotels in Dongguan
Reviewed 4 February 2014

It is not easy to characterize this hotel. It is neither good for business travelers nor good for those seeking a quiet relaxing holiday. The hotel was originally designed as a resort, set a good distance away from the main road and is right next to a lake. However, the standard of the service is really not up to scratch to make it a relaxing and pampered holiday of the sort that you can take for granted in, say, Thailand. On the other hand, the business traveler will be frustrated by the long corridors, the small working desk in the room and the leisureliness at the ridiculous small elbow-to-elbow check-in counter.

The room itself is acceptable, dated but clean, with a nice balcony. The fine dining Chinese restaurant is excellent. The Tea House, which serves quite good regional Chinese food, is noisy and steamy because of the hard floors, reverberant acoustics, the open kitchens and the boisterous clientele..

However, the Achilles heel of the hotel is the coffee shop. As hotel guests are likely to eat here, they need to be warned. The executive chef is most successful on paper - attracting a full house of Chinese customers and charging 400 RMB for dinner to eat food that normally costs 40RMB.

At breakfast for example, rather than offering smoked salmon (probably de rigeur in all the Hyatts in Asia) for the international traveler, and cooked salmon (for the Japanese), dozens of fish heads are offered instead.

The coffee shop is also so desperately understaffed that I make more visits to clear my plates than to visit the buffet counter.

There is a token selection of cereals and yoghurts at breakfast, but no spoons are provided. When told about this, the executive chef still would not provide spoons. Another hotel guest commented, "This is China, what do you expect?" I have stayed in other hotels in China that are a lot better. The arrogance and rudeness of the executive chef at this Hyatt cast shame on 1.3 billion people in China.

Why does he need to improve when the locals flock here? I am afraid when people in Dongguan start to travel abroad they will come to realize that this place is not worthy of the Hyatt name.

I hasten to add that the problem is all in the management. I have no criticism of the front line staff.

Room Tip: You can choose a room with a lake view if you pay a little bit more.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I come to Dongguan almost every year to spend time with my family, even though I don't stay at the hotel, I visit the Chinese restaurant in the hotel when I do come.

The food at hyatt, especially the Chinese restaurant, is absolutely delicious and authentic. The restaurant is spacious, elegant, and clean. It even has private dining rooms for bigger parties. The service is impeccable.

I also visited the spa "Song" this trip. There was a special promotion for the aromatherapy massage so I booked it, along with a mani and pedi. The massage was impressive. I tonight it would be closer to traditional Chinese massage (typically deep tissue and quote painful) but the massage therapist was so well trained I fell asleep (and I get massage at least twice month in the US). The mani and pedi, however, were not as good. It was great that they could do them in the same treatment room
As my massage (which was beautiful by the way), but the lighting was so dim, the manicurists had hard time seeing! I definitely recommend massage at this hotel, but you could skip the mani pedi.

All in all, friendly and professional service. I'd definitely visit the spa again and maybe use their giant indoor pool.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The Hyatt Regency Dongguan provided such a wonderful combination of service and facility quality and excellence. From efficient check-in, to a beautiful and thoughtfully designed room, to the service by the hotel staff, to the restaurant availability and quality - I was sad to leave. I will definitely stay in this hotel again when I am in the region.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Snapshot:
- HUGE hotel - lots of walking to get from point A to point B
- Lavish & huge room, tall ceilings, great furnishings & decor, loved the balcony cove with wicker seating
- felt like an oasis away from home
- smokers everywhere including restaurant and lobbies (but of course, it's China)
- very helpful staff
- many restaurants in the hotel
- "outside stores/restaurants" is a walk out of the long driveway
- LONG walk to your room, LONG walk to the gym

Stayed on business for over a week. I actually really liked this hotel but my associates preferred to move to Shenzhen city where there's more to do outside the hotel on evenings and weekends. I had a view of the lake which I loved waking to in the morning. My room had high 30? foot ceilings and one wall was double sliding doors (floor to ceiling) to the patio area with white billowy curtains that just made me feel a bit of "vacation." It was freezing while we were there. The thermostat wasn't even responsive but one call to the front desk and a portable heater was in my room which warmed up the place. Overall, I would go back if I'm in the area.

SPA: spa was top notch. English speaking staff which was helpful. You got your own room which included a full bathroom. The girl "assigned" to me was very polite. Spa selections were great.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel is hands down one of the nicest hotels I have been to in the world. I was here on business for a few days and the hotel is beautiful. My room had a lovely view and the room was large and spacious! I took advantage of the spa and I would recommend a foot massage from Yolanda. I ate at the buffet for dinner one night and thought it was just ok. The second night I had dinner at the bar in the lobby. The fried noodles were wonderful!! I would highly recommend this resort. The only negative is that it's a walk/drive to downtown but the hotel has everything you will ever need.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed in Dongguan for three nights on business. I stayed on the club floor and was very pleased with the standard of the room, very spacious and well appointed. The bed was comfortable, and after I worked out how to use the shower this passed the test as well. Staff were friendly and accommodating and worked hard to ensure you were well looked after. I only used the cafe on my last day for lunch, a little expensive but the food was fine.The location on Song Shan lake is nice and relaxing, especially if your rooms look out onto the lake. My only criticism is the time it takes to get a taxi, 15 mins to wait each time can be a little frustrating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have visited this hotel twice in the last few months., one for a “girls night” and then a weekend visit for my husbands 40th Bday. I cannot begin to tell you nice it is to have this beautiful, service-orientated location near “home”. The first time we went we stayed in room facing the gardens; very nice room with a comfortable bed and fabulous bathtub (something I miss). The next time we stayed we had a lakeside view. Breathtaking AND the bathtub was on the “porch” overlooking the lake. It was pretty cool to experience this big luxury with my husband. The tub has curtains around its glass enclosure, I never felt like anyone was ‘looking’ at us and if they were –so be it. I live in China now and having this Hyatt close for a weekend away is very relaxing and rewarding. This hotel is so very service-oriented; they want to make sure everything you need is taken care of. The food at the Copper Grill was delicious, the steak is the best I have found so far in China, tender and juicy and cooked to perfection. They have a nice buffet, really nice if you prefer Asian food. I will say the Hyatt in Guangzhou had a nicer display for their breakfast buffet that the Hyatt in Dongguan but it still was very good. Upon check in, our room the second visit had a fruit plate waiting for us in the room. The hotel is VERY clean as are the three indoor ‘pools’ a lap pool, a warm/hot sitting pool and a ‘massage’ pool with various jets for muscle relaxations. We also visited the spa which had numerous services to offer us. We will be back to enjoy the hotel and all of its amenities at a later date. Oh Yes, it is very expensive, we dropped a LOT of money on our weekend visit – BUT he only turns 40 once!

Room Tip: The lake view is very nice, ask for one with a tub on the porch.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple