“A Wonderful Weekend!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 407 Hotels in Huizhou
Portland, Oregon
“A Wonderful Weekend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I am an American who's been living (and frequenting hotels) in China for just over 11 years. The combination of location, great service and convenience puts this hotel in the "Best" category.

First know that because I am familiar with (and accustomed to) life in mainland China, we chose what was perhaps an optimal time of year for our stay. During the Chinese New Year holiday most people return to their home towns and spend time with family, so during our stay at the hotel, there were none of the typical crowds or lines, and the beach was not crowded at all.

About an hour’s drive from Shenzhen, this hotel sits right on the beach. It is beautifully landscaped and cared for. There are bars and restaurants to fit most people's desires, and even a good sized store where we bought the bathing suits the boys forgot, snacks and misc other items.

Our room was quite spacious and comfortable, with a great view from the balcony of the beach and sea. In China there are always little things missing that one would expect in the finest hotels. Here those little things were few and far between, and it only took a quick phone call to get extra towels and slippers delivered to the room.

I had the great pleasure of meeting the manager of the hotel. He too is an American, so his English is excellent and he is also fluent in Mandarin. (I don't speak Cantonese, so I don't know if he does or not) His name is Leon Lee, and he went well above and beyond the call in making me and my family feel both pampered and at home.

I must commend Mr. Lee on making this hotel a pleasant stay for any foreign visitor. From the English speaking staff, to the (legally imported) USDA choice beef in the restaurant, (the very best steak I’ve had in China) he’s put his knowledge of westerners and hospitality on display for the benefit of me and my family, and you should you choose to stay here.

All of the staff I interacted with was equally helpful and friendly. We were met at the door by Carlos, who my youngest quickly befriended, and a young man eager to help with our bags. Carlos and several of the staff in the lobby can also speak English, so if you don't speak Chinese you should have no trouble getting help with most things.

We had a relaxing and refreshing weekend, and will likely return to this hotel soon.

P.S. I am not rating the Spa or breakfast because we did not make use of them. My kids brought Frosted Flakes and milk.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LEON JEN L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the sincere and wonderful acknowledgement. I will certainly share you comments with the entire hotel team, so we do more of what pleases guests, and eradicate those things which do not.

Thank you.

Leon J Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

My Chinese friends were shocked to find there was such a beautiful place so close to Shenzhen. This place is a secret weekend getaway in the winter months as it is very busy in the summer. It is very easy to get to from Shenzhen, the hotel is grand, rooms had splendid views and the service was intimate. I felt completely rejuvinated after walking solo on the beach early in the morning and sunbathing on my patio with 180 degree jawdropping views. The bonus was a romantic dinner of steak and wine, and being entertained at the bar by the jazz pianist and vocalist. Lots of sophistication in a very inviting and comfortable way. Highly recommend this to my friends and family and upgrading to the suite.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank elleaiesay
LEON JEN L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your gracious comments. You are right, it is indeed, “the best kept secret” of southern China. The bay is beautiful and the water clean. So is the crisp, sea air, especially to those who are from one of China’s major cities. My staff and I look forward to your return.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This Hotel continues to keep high standrads and also from the General Manager Mr Lee right down to the minute you arrive everyone makes you feel right at home. They have excellent food good variety both at the Restaurant and the Bar, they have everything here to help you to enjoy your stay, they have live music in the bar each night, plus if you wanted to have a party they can cater for this well, which has a lovely setting at the beach. This is a lovely hotel and more importantly have a woundeful and friendly staff always putting the customer first.

Room Tip: All rooms have excellent views of the Ocean,
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LEON JEN L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Mr. Martin,
Thank you for the positive input. You and the hotel team weathered what was for Huizhou, “The Storm of The Decade”. We are doubly grateful that you gave us an uplifting review despite the fallen trees, messy beach, churning seas, and water everywhere. We are back to normal. The sea water is clean and the beach has been rejuvenated all awaiting your return in a few months.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I had no idea what to expect from this hotel. The roads that lead towards the hotel are not even finished yet, and still a lot of construction is taking place. On first arrival, I was very disappointed. The lobby, although large, did not have air conditioning and felt like it was a market place rather than a hotel lobby -it was so crowded with people and noisy and hot. The manager did however offer us glasses of cold water, which was a nice touch and attention to detail.

Best part about this hotel are the rooms -they are very large and furnishings are new and comfortable. Overall, a good comfortable stay but not 5 star luxury and there is little to do at the hotel so don't stay more than 1 night.

Problems to look out for:
the beach -the beach was not very nice, water was very dirty and there were sharp metal objects stuck in the sand which was very dangerous. The hotel also does not provide beach towels, which should be standard for a 5* beach hotel. when asking the staff for towels, not only could they not understand a word of english, but they suggested we go back up to our rooms to get them. There were 3 sections of water marked out, but we were only allowed in the middle block which was packed with people.

Outdoor pool -decent size but too shallow, nice comfy chairs.

Rooms -mini fridge was locked, and there was no milk available for tea.

No Air con -as mentioned before, there was hardly any air conditioning in the communal areas around the hotel, even though it was so hot during my stay. They probably do this to save money but it made the guests feel uncomfortable.

Restaurant and food -restaurant food was terrible, both breakfast and dinner service, one of the most horrible meals i have had at a hotel. Ice cream shop in the lobby was not very good quality either.

It maybe a good hotel in China, but definitely not up to international standards yet. Worth a 1 night stay but i wouldn't come again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,
The road is just about complete, with just the section in front of the hotel to complete. For evening fun, a new Hakka restaurant opened yesterday on the premises. Prices are reasonable. Our Beach Bar has a new vocalist from Shanghai. She is getting very favorable reviews from customers. A massage center opened on property with at least one Thai masseuse who used to work in the palace Also, a karaoke center opens in about two months. On our property, Project 3, basically a mini-city will open at year end. This is an up-market housing and shopping complex with bars, restaurants and discos. There will be plenty to do when our complex transforms into a city. Fast rail service from nearby city, Aoto to Fujian via Shenzhen will commence next year.
We hope you return to see all for yourself.

Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is the first time to spent our weekend at the Country Garden Silver Beach hotel,. My 1st impression to this hotel is their staffs are friendly and ready to help. We stay in a corner suite with a big balcony which we can enjoy the ocean view.The room was large and clean, and the breakfast is very good. It is easy access to the beach,The lovely Beachside Bar is a good place to spent with friend, and the hotel service is excellent. We Had a truly wonderful stay and we will come back for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol C
LEON JEN L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Carol C,
Thank you for your input. I am delighted that you had a wonderful time. Thank you for choosing this hotel for I know there are many hotels in our vicinity to choose from.

zhuhai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I spent a splendid weekend with my friend at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel last week. Despite the long driving from the city, I feel very excited when i saw the hotel from the driving way. It was stuniing. The hotel service staff were very friendly and helpful. I also loved the hotel outside dining area with blue sea and slow wind. The food was delicious too. ( I ordered Rib eye steak for the main course.) This is my first time coming to Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel and I will come again. I highly recommend this hotel because it will bring you such a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LEON JEN L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Helen,
Thank you for your comments. Whether guest comments are positive or critical we always let our employees know about what guests say of us. We are continuously improving, both our service and products. We are grateful that the weather recently has been beautiful, no wind. Without the strong typhoon-like winds, the water and the beach are pristine and beautiful. We hope you return soon.
Leoon J. Lee
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Getting to this property requires a rather bumpy ride through a huge construction site where the hotel is located near the beach. This area is being developed and many houses/towering condos are slated to come up. The lobby is huge, complete with fish ponds and fake palm trees. There's a large aquarium in the middle of the lobby which draws a lot of attention. This resort is popular with locals as it is crowded during the summer/school holidays. I liked my room; it faces the ocean and has all the amenities that one needs, plus it's huge and modern. Now, it's nice to walk along the beach but it is nothing to shout about. The sand and water doesn't look appealing. I've seen better beaches. Breakfast is fine but I'm surprised that cutlery is hard to find. There's no teaspoons around when one needs it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your input. Yes the drive to the hotel presently has a short road section which is under construction. That road will soon be completed, and a beautiful concrete highway will soon take our guests who drive from the freeway to the entrance of our hotel.
I am sorry that your breakfast table was set without coffee or tea spoons. This has been corrected.
Again, thank you for your input.

Leon J. Lee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huizhou
Renaissance Huizhou Hotel
#5 of 407 in Huizhou
Oakwood Premier Guangzhou
Oakwood Premier Guangzhou
#2 of 3,390 in Guangzhou

Been to Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!