“Amazing hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 407 Hotels in Huizhou
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stopped at this hotel for a few weeks and it simply blew me away. In what seemed like the middle of nowhere emerged this grand hotel on the shore of a lake where you were greeted at the entrance by 6 female staff members in what looked like ceremonial dress escorting you into marble floored foyer. The luxury only just started there and continued in the rooms, restaurant and bar, if you do go check out the massage's they are awesome!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2688888-8199, Public Relations Manager at Kande International Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your very complimentary comments about your recent stay and it is very rewarding to hear that our team was able to meet your expectations. Kande is located in Huizhou downtown, where you can enjoy the view of West Lake and the Dongjiang River. We do hope you will come to Kande again and make your stay more enjoyable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Zhuhai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed for two nights and enjoyed it. The staff was friendly and help was quick, (we had problems to open/close the finger print safe). And best of all they had English speaking staff. Our room on the 18 floor, facing the river side was a good size and very clean. The bath room was spacious:-) and had extra hooks for towels. Only the cotton swabs were of a cheap kind, the ones that bend very easy.
We loved the bed, very comfortable:-):-)
Breakfast buffet was good. Lots of choices.
The only really bad thing was the Wifi, it was slow, very slow. No Wifi in the breakfast area at all.
For us the location was wonderful, right on West Lake.
Special thanks to Natalia which gave us some great tips on Restaurants and things to do.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2688888-8199, Public Relations Manager at Kande International Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind valuable feedback after staying at our hotel. It’s delightful to know that our staff are helpful and you enjoy your stay here. I have passed your kind words to all the team who made your stay at Kande satisfying.
There is a router in each room to make sure wifi is available for our guests. If you have any problem with the network on your next visit, please feel free to contact our staff. They will be at your service all the time.
We do look forward to your visit to Huizhou soon and hope to make your stay in Kande most enjoyable.
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I have known the Kande International Hotel in Huizhou since it first opened, so this review may seem a bit of a long time coming, but having just returned from a stay there, I thought I would finally get around to writing about it.

Overall I was very pleased with the hotel and would recommend it to anyone visiting the city. It is, indeed, the hotel at which I put-up my own mother when she visited some years ago.

Let's start with the location. When it opened, several years back, the Kande was at the farther flung end of town. The heart of the city beat in Xiapu and Maidi districts. The Kande, on the other hand, was located out at the northern reaches of West Lake, about as far from anywhere as it was possible to get in Huizhou. Over the last few years, however, huge investment has been pumped into Jiangbei district, just over the river from the hotel, and this is now the new, fashionable centre of town. If the Old World charms of Huizhou don't appeal to you and you just want Starbucks and high-end retail stores, then the Kande is ideally located. But beyond the shops, there's the lake!

Anyone who has ever spent any reasonable amount of time in China will no doubt have heard that Hangzhou has the most beautiful West Lake in all the country. And anyone who has ever been to both Hangzhou and Huizhou will tell you that that simply isn't true. Huizhou's West Lake is a glorious thing to behold, and the Kande hotel has prime views of it. My wife, baby and I stayed on the 18th floor and even though we used to live in the city some years ago, we just couldn't stop admiring the view.

Moving on to the room, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I have stayed at other 5-star hotels in China that are crumbling at the edges, and buildings in China in general have a terrible reputation for falling apart within a year or two of having opened, but the Kande hotel looked every inch as fresh and as new as the day it was built. The exception was the carpet in the room. Despite being a non-smoking floor, and having 'no smoking' signs in the room, the carpet around the area of the armchair was covered in burn marks from the cigarettes of previous guests.

My family and I stayed in one of the 'Superior' rooms, just down a level from the Business and Executive rooms. I couldn't see the point in paying 500 yuan per night more for a Business room, when the only real difference seemed to be the free breakfast (valued at 70 yuan).

With all rooms and suites there is a choice of river view or lake view, with the lake view being a bit pricier. I must say I really quite like the river view side, and it is by no means an inferior choice, but for me I had to have the lake view.

When I first stayed at the hotel, some years back, there was fresh fruit in the room but it seems that fruit is getting scarce in Huizhou, these days. There was none in the room, very little at breakfast and not much to be found in the local supermarket. What the room did have, however, was free wi-fi, an 'international' power socket that will accept just about any plug from around the world (220 volts, but they can provide a 110 volt converter if asked), and a computer that turns on at a touch and provides fast and reliable office and internet functionality. This is a real bonus in my book. I was able to browse the web at leisure from my 'phone and complete a time-critical task on the in-room computer. Other 5-star hotels at which I have stayed don't provide a computer and charge for wi-fi access.

The room's decoration was fairly standard for hotels in this price range. Nice, subtle, comfortable. The bed and the pillows were delightfully soft, but it was the bath that really stood out. I love a good bath and the Kande has chosen well in this regard. A personal preference, I suppose, as it depends on the size of the individual and his bathing style, but this was, for me, the best bath I have ever come across.

The T.V. had a small but respectable range of English-language channels, but given the endless variety of things to do in Huizhou, I didn't watch much except as a way to quieten-down the baby.

Breakfast ought to have been a straight forward affair, but I was irked by being told that I was being given one free breakfast. One? I booked a room for two adults (and a baby). Why only one breakfast? Is my wife expected to just sit there and watch me eat? Or was I to watch my wife? I mean, it ought to have been a very nice thing, to be given a free breakfast, but to ignore the fact that we are a family resulted in the gift seeming insensitive. We ended up eschewing the free breakfast and paying for two. Somehow we felt better about that.

Now, moving on the facilities. The hotel was not very busy. It was, perhaps, the busiest I have ever known it to be, but still it was clearly under-occupied. This meant that there were never more than two people in the gym or the pool, or indeed in any of the restaurants other than at breakfast time. A nice bonus if you like a bit of space.

The pool is shallow but pleasant, with an interesting shape to it and good lighting at night. There is also a jacuzzi.

I didn't try the massage place or the karaoke, however I did pass through the lobby, one evening and was nearly deafened by the noise coming from the small piano bar, down the corridor. They have a live band every night and the noise levels are astonishing, especially considering the size of the bar. This, at least, is something that hasn't changed since my last visit. However, to address some of the things that have changed over the years, I shall now move on to...

...Service. When it opened, the Kande was the very first 5-star hotel in Huizhou and it moved heaven and earth to get competent English-speakers on the staff. Those days have long gone. A few of the staff speak good English; some speak a little bit; many speak none at all. As I can communicate to a reasonable degree in Chinese, this didn't pose too many problems, and if you're the type of traveller who is happy just to go with the flow and have a relaxing time while everything just happens around you, then you probably won't have any issue with this. I did have some small difficulty, however, in understanding why the pool attendant was trying to kick me out of the pool at 22.45, when the stated closing time of the pool was 23.00. He said something about his having to go off work at eleven and therefore I had to leave so he could tidy up. Didn't seem reasonable, to me, so I might have misunderstood something.

Check-in wasn't exactly as advertised, either. While the website boasts of a '3-minute' check-in, in the end those minutes dragged on considerably as the staff had to go through my entire booking, checking everything with me, even though the booking details had been confirmed once already by e-mail. We were then told that the room we had booked was still being prepared. We had to wait in the lobby for what seemed like an age. When the room was finally ready, we had to find our way there ourselves, lugging our bags with us. This is all a big departure from when I first stayed at this hotel. Back then check-in took a minute, the rooms were ready immediately and a porter carried the bags up to the room (which had a bowl of fruit in it).

Later, as I began to realise that there were only two other guests on our floor, I wondered why we had had to wait so long for a room to be prepared. The receptionist had told us that it was because a guest had only just checked out and to me this suggests that they don't keep many of the guest rooms in a state of readiness, even when they have confirmed bookings. Other evidence of cost-saving efforst included the ballast added to the cisterns of the toilets, depriving each flush of about a quarter of its capacity (I checked the cistern because the toilets seemed to always require two or three flushes to get the job done).

The hotel has a retained fleet of taxis that at one time were the newest, shinest cars in the city. They're looking pretty beat-up, these days, and can now be called upon only at night, as the drivers have been given licence to ply an independed trade during daylight hours.

All in all, I might say that standards have slipped somewhat, but perhaps that is unfair. Comparing a settled-in hotel in today's business environment, with a newly-opened hotel in a different business environment, is always going to throw up differences. But taking the stay on its own, without regard to previous experiences, I was very pleased. The room was superb (aside from the burns on the carpet) and there was plenty of variety in the breakfast. The location is good and the staff (by and large) try their best to be helpful. The pool is very nice and, to cap it all off, when we returned home and discovered that we'd left some of our baby's clothes in the room, the hotel kindly retreived the clothes, washed them and sent them on to us.

Room Tip: Rooms are more or less identical but go up in price by floor, with the higher floors throwing in bre...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tomspencer78
2688888-8199, Public Relations Manager at Kande International Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing Kande some years after and taking your precious time to post your reviews about your stay at Kande. Kande sits between East River, West Lake and south of ancient Chaojingmen Park, where transportation is convenient and the view from guest room is sure to be a feast for the eyes. Although it’s the 8th year for Kande, we have regular cleaning for exterior building and maintenance for facilities. How delightful to read that you have noticed our details at the hotel like converter, TV, computer, wi-fi, pillows, bath, etc. and they lived up to your expectations.
We apologize for not arranging your check-in in time. We have forwarded your feedback to our management and will continue regular training for better service. Non-smoking room or smoking room is arranged upon request when check in, we will check the room more thoroughly for your next better stay. As a 5-star hotel in Huizhou, we welcome guests from everywhere in the world. We have GROs, who are capable of speaking English, Russian and Korean, will be helpful for non-Chinese speakers. Meanwhile we have English training for our staff and they do their best to communicate with foreigners. As you mentioned in the review, we do have our own fleet of taxis and if you need a taxi, our bell man will get you one for your convenience.
We always make every effort to achieve Kande way of hospitality “Customer Satisfaction; Customer Delight; Customer Enlightenment”. We do look forward to welcoming you in the near future and enjoy more Kande services.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

One of the best hotels I have ever visited around the world (and I do many hotels...). Big and luxury rooms, outstanding service, a touch of oriental style with high international standard in service. Fantastic foot massage spa at very good prices (on the left side of the lobby, at the very end). Did other hotels in Huizhou but this is definitely my favourite one.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2688888-8199, Public Relations Manager at Kande International Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your very complimentary comments about your recent stay and it is very rewarding to hear that our team was able to meet your expectations. We work consistently hard to make sure our guests are always feeling that they have found Kande home away from home. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Very good hotel in an excellent location for a great price. No need to really leave, there is a great restaurant, karaoke, piano bar, pool and gym all for around 100 bucks a night. Jog around the lake and river, an excellent value hotel.

Room Tip: Lake view over river view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2688888-8199, Public Relations Manager at Kande International Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for this encouraging review and are very happy that you had a memorable experience with us. Reviews such as yours always make the team’s hard work all the more worthwhile and meaningful. All of us have enjoyed having you as our resident and eagerly look forward to your next return.
Halden, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Big rooms, lots of accessoirs, fresh fruit, etc. After a long flight and meetings, relaxing at the hotel helped me loading the batteries for more meetings and the long flight home. High standard, good madrasses and pillovs. Good breakfast. I will return on my next trip.

• Stayed June 2013
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

My room was spacious, well appointed, clean and well laid out. The WiFi worked well. For breakfast a large selection was offered. The restaurants in the hotel serve good food with good service.The price is reasonable. The staff is always very friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2688888-8199, Public Relations Manager at Kande International Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying with Kande and taking time to write a review following your recent stay. Your satisfaction is the best praise for us and we will keep improving. We do look forward to seeing you on your next trip and make your experience more memorable during every stay.