“No complaints” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 194 Hotels in Shantou
Padstow, United Kingdom
“No complaints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

Good sized clean bedrooms, staff friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast fine, wifi reliable and free, public areas typicaly extragavant but very well kept,I would recommend for a business stay. We had food in the bar area as it was late and the staff were happy to produce a very good plate of hot food.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Dear Lan G,

Thank you for sharing your stay with us on Tripadvisor

We are happy that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.
Thank you for making Meritus Shantou the hotel of your choice and we look forward to welcome you home on your next visit to Shantou

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

The reception is clean and extravagant, with a giant lit-up Christmas tree, and the reception is efficient and nice, even smiling (smiling reception desk staff seem hard to come by in China.)

The room was spacious, offering a tub and a separate shower, a King-sized bed, a lounging chair, and a business desk. Everything was clean and fresh. There was not a hint of cigarette smoke in my non-smoking room. The internet was free and worked. They had robes for that luxurious, I'm-in-a-five-star-Hotel feeling, and even offered the sale of robes, towels and other Meritus-quality goods.

A good stay, quite happy with everything.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Dear Mr. Setek

Thank you for sharing your stay with us on Tripadvisor

We are happy that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We appreciate your compliments on the hotel especially that of the smiling staff at the reception desk on your arrival and shall communicate your delight to them. The giant lit-up Christmas tree was the work of the staff and we are glad that it has created an impact.

GENERAL MANAGER
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

First of all, this hotel is located in a convenient location and is relatively well kept. The hotel restaurants have room for improvement and the lack of soundproofing in the room can be annoying if the hotel is fully occupied. Despite this, service levels are fairly acceptable, and I am familiar with the Meritus brand in Singapore, which is why I almost always choose this hotel when I visit Shantou.
However, I an unpleasant experience during my recent stay that may have more to do with hotel policy that their staff. There was some colour transfer from one of my clothing items to one of their hand towels (all they really needed was some bleach to take care of it) and housekeeping insisted that we reimburse the hotel or that we wash the towel ourselves. While I’m not one to bicker about such trivial matters with hotel staff, this does portray the hotel as a little too overzealous about their room inventory to bother about providing good customer service. Bearing in mind that this hotel has a supposed 5-star rating, I was rather taken aback by this proposition.
Therefore, I suggest caution to all those thinking of staying in this hotel. You might just have to pay for pressing your own bed linen in the future if you crease it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank p_t_pt12
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Dear p_t_pt12,

Thank you for your posting and comments

We are indeed sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident on your last stay with us.

You are right to point out that the hotel could have been a little too over zealous in dealing with the incident and thank you for bringing the matter to our attention.

We will take the necessary corrective action to address the matter and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward to your next visit to welcome you home again at Meritus Shantou

Farmington Hills, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

This was my first trip to Shantou and between the 4 hours buss trip from Shenzhen and the ride on Shantou Roads, I was not sure what I was going to encounter. I was there on business and only needed the hotel for sleeping. I was traveling with Chinese speaking associates so language was not an issue for me.

The hotel was better than i thought it would be. My room was large, well appointed, and comfortable. The bathroom was excellent and comparable to most 4 stars in USA. I stayed 3 nights and my room was kept very clean during that period.

I did eat breakfast at the hotel, typical buffet style, I would rank it as good but nothing fantastic.

Since this was a business trip, I have no idea what a tourist would do in this city, outside of watching cars/cycles/bikes compete for space on the road.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank irwish__jc
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Meritus Shantou China, General Manager , responded to this review
Nov 28 2012
Dear irwish__jc

Thank you for your valuable feedback during your recent stay with us.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back to Meritus Shantou on your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights as we had a free weekend before going to Guangzhou for a business trip.

Firstly, check in was smooth and the rooms was clean & nicely furnished. The hotel staff was friendly and recommended some places for us to have dinner. We walked around in the evening but did not find anything we liked. Instead we ended up having dinner at the Chinese restaurant within the hotel (Peach Garden). The food here is really good!!! The braised goose is one of the best I ever had and there are lots of local Teochew dishes available. Will highly recommend this restaurants for those who want to have authentic Teochew food but not comfortable eating at the local restaurants.

Everything was great until the check-out. As we had booked and paid for the room through an online company, I thought we just had to hand over the room keys and everything should be fine. Instead, we were told to pay for the room charges and the following occurred.....:
1) The front staff insisted that we did not mention that we had internet reservations and they had given us another room. Hence I had to pay for the room while my internet reservation is treated as a "no-show
2) When I pointed out that I had given the reservation details upon check-in, the staff denied this. And it was a joke as she was holding my printout which she had clipped on with the rest of my documents ......
3) When the staff realized this, she insisted that the printout was for my room "cancellation". Huh??!!?? When I took a look at what she meant by cancellation, she was pointing to the word "cancel"that appeared in the printout under cancellation policy of the internet reservation. When I explain that cancellation policy is a standard term on any internet reservation, she started to get frustrated and asked her senior staff/ manager to talk to me.
4) As I had to go to the airport, I told them to please sort things out and let me know the outcome. The hotel staff agreed but me to give them a credit deposit which I felt was reasonable. However, they took my card and swiped for a RMB3,000 deposit when my total rooms charges was only about RMB1,500! This is ridiculous!!!! Why should I put a deposit for double the amount in dispute? After telling them firmly "no", I gave only RMB1,5000 as my deposit and left the hotel.
5) when I landed in Guangzhou, I received a call from the senior hotel staff. He told me that they had found my internet reservation but they had make a mistake and gave me another room. He told me that he will go ahead with charging me for the room and I should ask for a refund from the internet reservation company? This is getting crazy!!! Why should I go and get a refund from someone else when its their mistake?? After arguing for 30 mins over the phone, which was an international call for me, I told that staff that my phone bill is going to be as high as the room charges if we keep talking. Instead, I asked him to give me a call when I'm back in my home country.

2 weeks had passed and that staff still had not call me. I had not checked my credit bill yet but I'm pretty sure they had charged me for the room.....

I saw that there were some negative reviews that were posted previously and most of the reviewers mentioned that it might be due to the language barrier. However, I am a Chinese and can speak Mandarin fluently. Even if they don't understand Mandarin, I can speak Teochew which is the local dialect. Hence I can assure you that its not the language problem but more of a service attitude problem. The staff just did not try to understand the issue and was focused on pushing blame....

I am a very frequent traveler and usually do not complain. However, this is definitely one of my worst experience in all my years of travel! There are a few more hotels coming up in the Shantou region and will not recommend this hotel even if you see it ranked number 1 here....

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ErWei001
Meritus Shantou China, General Manager , responded to this review
Nov 28 2012
Dear Mr. Quek

We thank you for giving us the opportunity to clarify the unfortunate incident which you encountered during your recent stay with us

We are glad that you have accepted our explanation and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Your understanding on the above matter is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcome you back to Meritus Shantou

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

This is a typical 31/2star establishment in China that tries to pass itself off as 5 star. If you're not Chinese, don't expect Western standards to apply and you wont become frustrated. My biggest gripe is that there are only 4 non-smoking rooms per floor and smoking is freely allowed in the lobby, restaurant and even the indoor pool area. If you're like me and don't want to sleep in a nicotine environment, book a non-smoking room early. China is still a long way behind in regards the health implications of passive smoking. If you request a non-smoking table at breakfast, the one next to you will most probably be full of smoking locals!

Then there's the food. Tryng to get a hot cup of coffee at breakfast is almost impossible. Actually, trying to get any type of western food that isn't bordering on cold is a miracle. I know they say "when in Rome.." but the Chiu chow style of food indiginous to this area is unfamiliar and not easy to order if only used to Cantonese style Chinese cuisine. This hotel is frequented by many westerners in the toy industry as Shantou/Chenghai is famous for the manufacture of cheap plastics. Because of this, breakfast-time can be quite busy. If you order a freshly fried egg or omelette, be sure to stand your ground as the cooks often can't differentiate western faces and there have been many instances when I've lost my egg to some-one else who came along at the right time! The toast machine is another hassle - I had to put my bread through 4 times before it even got a colour up. After complaining, the next day they brought in a regular household toaster but again with China's unreliable electricity supply, my toast took forever (thus resulting in another lost egg). The staff try very hard and many want to practise their English but misunderstandings can occur: My partner ordered fried eggs, but was served five eggs............

The buffet dinner has some western style dishes but the bain-marie lids are left open and the food is usually luke warm and congealed. This is one time I would strongly recommend to try the freshly cooked bowl of soup noodles.

Fresh milk is another rarity. We always bring a small carton with us from Hong Kong so that we can have a cup of tea first thing in the morning. Tea making facilities are available in the room which is of a decent size. The bathroom is the star attraction as it is spacious and well appointed, with marble tiling and a walk-in shower / bath area. Water pressure is great and the towels nice and fluffy.

Each room has a large flat screen TV with about 100 channels but we were so tired each night that we hardly turned it on. Wi-fi is available at a cost of 30rmb per day (approx $6) which I thought expensive in comparison to other hotels in China. All in all, if you're coming here for business, the Meritus is probably the best option (for the moment anyway) as its location is good and the staff very obliging.

Room Tip: KTV (Karaoke bar) is on the 8th floor so for a quiet night's sleep, book as high as you can. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gqueen8
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear gQueen8

We thank you for your comments and would take the necessary steps to better our services. Please note that we do have two non smokin floors on level 16th and 18th. All other floors have a non smoking section guest rooms.
We have allocated the upper area of the dining room as non smoking area in addition to a small section in the front.
We look forward to have the opportunity to serve you again and thank you for your valuable feedback

Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Shantou, unlike some of her SEZ peers, did not shine due to corruption. As a result, good quality hotels of international standards are not in abundance. However, Meritus still maintains her timeless elegance with timeless and expensive marble finishing and large rooms. I will dispense with the photos as most of the photos posted by TA travelers are representative of my own experience.

A group of us were visiting Shantou for a foodie weekend and booked their Deluxe Twin Rooms. The location of the hotel is about 3 blocks away from the Jinsha Night market (not a very short walk). Alternatively, take a cab for RMB15.00. The standard is usually RMB10.00 but the distance is so short anyway. Have pity on the cab driver.

At main entrance coming out from the hotel, if you turn right and turn right again the first road ....it will lead to a local market, as well as many awesome local food stalls. Your gauge of how good the food stall...is the number of patrons queuing up :)

RECEPTION + WELCOME
*Grand for her age
*Free wifi in lobby area
*Check-in was fast & efficient
*Some of us tried changing the twin room to double but hotel is stickler on pricing for Twins & Double rooms.

BEDROOM
It has everything I need for my weekend stay. The housekeeping standards in this hotel is super high. One of my group members got a delayed check-in because the room has to be inspected by the supervisor AND the manager.

I borrowed a face towel from the room, for a day outing because it was raining. When I got back, there was an inventory note informing me that the face towel was missing. Super impressed how well housekeeping prevents pilferage.

*Spacious
*Carpeted
*Bedroom Slippers provided
*Bathrobes provided
*Towels - Thick Flurry White
*No wifi in room but LAN is available. Do bring your own travel router.
*Flat screen TV with multiple channel but we never have time to watch.
*Beds: Spring Beds. It is OK, way better than the hard beds in China but I was really hoping for Westin's equivalent of Heavenly Beds.
*Hot water jug with Tea bags provided.
*Electricity: Surprising it uses the british 3-pin plug! Not the standard for China!
*View: We had a great view of the city.

BATHROOM
For an "old" hotel, the bathtub and shower are spaciously bundled together. I wish I had brought my aromatherapy oil and candles. Or even bath salts! The marbled washbasin and good quality toiletries makes the hotel feels 5-star. Worthy of a Meritus.

HOTEL FACILITIES
There is a decent gym and a lap pool on the 4th floor. There is even a sauna.
You are required to wear your swimming cap. It is for sale if you forgot.
Goggles, swimwear, swimming cap are all available for purchase.

The only dinghy aspect of this hotel is apparently the "Spa", a complaint lodge by my male friend in the group.....offering him extra services. However, karaoke is supposed good !

BUSINESS CENTER
The business center is very efficient. Call ahead if you want them to help you pre-booked any tickets. It worth paying a small handling fee of RMB10.

BREAKFAST
We researched before arriving and decided to ditch the hotel breakfast (not so great reviews) for authentic local Kway Chap breakfast. Or take a walk around the hotel for local breakfast. We had no regrets at all ! Adventure pays! Awesome!
If you are a Caucasian not accustomed to local food, PLEASE eat western at the hotel. When in Rome, we tend to do what the Romans do...oops, I mean Shantou.

CONCLUSION
Meritus is my hotel of choice in Shantou.
For sightseeing, I personally prefer the Chaozhou (1 hour away from Shantou) but it seems that hotels are better Shantou. And the braised duck is supposedly much tastier in Shantou than Chaozhou.,

I suspect there are a lot more places to visit & see but we were pretty much engrossed in eating....literally. Before we finished a meal, we already strategising for the next meal. And we get distracted whenever we sight interesting food.

Oops, I forgot to mention that we hired a driver bringing us all over ....what else? To eat.
Remember to bring lots of anti-bacterial wet tissues along......

Room Tip: Remember to ask for non-smoking!! This is China!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MouMou
Jin P, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Dear Moumou,

As the GM of Meritus Shantou, I am very glad to get this value feedback from you and your friends, the comments you make, I have been noted and will do necessary action to improve our service and production, by the way WIFI service now are available in all of our rooms and public area. And we are also planning to upgrade our room facilities and amenities in the future.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to have u to be with us again in nearest future.

Many thanks and best regards,

Jin Peng