“Meritus very good for westerners”
Review of Junhua Haiyi Hotel

Junhua Haiyi Hotel
Ranked #4 of 193 Hotels in Shantou
Auckland NZ
“Meritus very good for westerners”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

having read some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive about this hotel. However I was very pleassed when I arrived. It is a typical western hotel. Excellent lobby, resteraunt and bar. My room which was a non smoking room was also excellent. My only complaint is the the bed was rock hard.
I was also on the executive floor so had access to the club lounge where I could go for breakfast, and pre dinner drinks.
Servicr was excellent from all departments.
It takes a little time to become accustomed to smoke again, kits everywhere, in the resteraunt, the lifts etc but at least they have non smoking areas for you.
I would certainly stay here again with out any concerns.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, a non smoker room would be essential.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear Zara08,

We are happy that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We appreciate your compliments on the hotel facilities and service.

Thank you for making Meritus Shantou the hotel of your choice and we look forward to welcome you home on your next visit to Shantou

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brisbane
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This hotel is quote good for china standard, not he best by any means, but the best for the area, and also the best for the area including Chaozhou, but its an hour away from the airport now that its been relocated, but still the better option, would recommend,

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelbradBrisbane
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Mr. TravelbradBrisbane,

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed here along with a colleague on business for 4 nights and had a very relaxing stay.

The rooms were spacious and the bathroom was well fitted out, the food was good my colleague particularly enjoyed the omelettes for breakfast. We also enjoyed a few drinks in the bar which in my opinion was modern.

The only downside was the food and drinks were probably the most expensive compared to other hotels I stayed in China however would not this stop me going back to stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear DoubleA_8

Padstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Good sized clean bedrooms, staff friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast fine, wifi reliable and free, public areas typicaly extragavant but very well kept,I would recommend for a business stay. We had food in the bar area as it was late and the staff were happy to produce a very good plate of hot food.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Dear Lan G,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2013

The reception is clean and extravagant, with a giant lit-up Christmas tree, and the reception is efficient and nice, even smiling (smiling reception desk staff seem hard to come by in China.)

The room was spacious, offering a tub and a separate shower, a King-sized bed, a lounging chair, and a business desk. Everything was clean and fresh. There was not a hint of cigarette smoke in my non-smoking room. The internet was free and worked. They had robes for that luxurious, I'm-in-a-five-star-Hotel feeling, and even offered the sale of robes, towels and other Meritus-quality goods.

A good stay, quite happy with everything.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Dear Mr. Setek

We are happy that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We appreciate your compliments on the hotel especially that of the smiling staff at the reception desk on your arrival and shall communicate your delight to them. The giant lit-up Christmas tree was the work of the staff and we are glad that it has created an impact.

Singapore
Reviewed 21 December 2012

First of all, this hotel is located in a convenient location and is relatively well kept. The hotel restaurants have room for improvement and the lack of soundproofing in the room can be annoying if the hotel is fully occupied. Despite this, service levels are fairly acceptable, and I am familiar with the Meritus brand in Singapore, which is why I almost always choose this hotel when I visit Shantou.
However, I an unpleasant experience during my recent stay that may have more to do with hotel policy that their staff. There was some colour transfer from one of my clothing items to one of their hand towels (all they really needed was some bleach to take care of it) and housekeeping insisted that we reimburse the hotel or that we wash the towel ourselves. While I’m not one to bicker about such trivial matters with hotel staff, this does portray the hotel as a little too overzealous about their room inventory to bother about providing good customer service. Bearing in mind that this hotel has a supposed 5-star rating, I was rather taken aback by this proposition.
Therefore, I suggest caution to all those thinking of staying in this hotel. You might just have to pay for pressing your own bed linen in the future if you crease it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank p_t_pt12
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Dear p_t_pt12,

Thank you for your posting and comments

We are indeed sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident on your last stay with us.

You are right to point out that the hotel could have been a little too over zealous in dealing with the incident and thank you for bringing the matter to our attention.

We will take the necessary corrective action to address the matter and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward to your next visit to welcome you home again at Meritus Shantou

Farmington Hills, MI
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This was my first trip to Shantou and between the 4 hours buss trip from Shenzhen and the ride on Shantou Roads, I was not sure what I was going to encounter. I was there on business and only needed the hotel for sleeping. I was traveling with Chinese speaking associates so language was not an issue for me.

The hotel was better than i thought it would be. My room was large, well appointed, and comfortable. The bathroom was excellent and comparable to most 4 stars in USA. I stayed 3 nights and my room was kept very clean during that period.

I did eat breakfast at the hotel, typical buffet style, I would rank it as good but nothing fantastic.

Since this was a business trip, I have no idea what a tourist would do in this city, outside of watching cars/cycles/bikes compete for space on the road.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank irwish__jc
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Meritus Shantou China, General Manager , responded to this review
Nov 28 2012
Dear irwish__jc

Thank you for your valuable feedback during your recent stay with us.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back to Meritus Shantou on your next visit.

Hotel General Manager