“very nice , but not as handy as they make out !”

Holiday Inn Express Shenzhen Luohu
Ranked #44 of 2,829 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 12 April 2009

A group of 8 of us traveled to shenzhen for 1 night from hong kong .
Our main purpose of choosing this hotel was location to the windows of the world and although i knew it wasnt all that close to lo wu markets , it does show on the website , that it is closer than it really is ....a bit deceiving actually .
It is very far from windows of the world and 2 stations from the lo wu markets.
The station is a good 10 minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel itself is very nice , rooms are large and clean and comfortable , with modern ammentities .
The cleaners need to take more care in the bathrooms , making sure they get in and behind things and down low , otherwise these bathrooms will soon be the same as many other asian hotel bathrooms ! MOULDY !
There is free internet in the foyer .
Breakfast was ok , as others have said , nothing to write home about .
The staff are friendly and helpful and speak good english .
The area surrounding the hotel is somewhat a non english speaking area , we had a bit of trouble trying to order dinner at restaurants ...it did make for a good laugh though , by us and the restaurant workers ...lol

All in all , it was a good night , everyone slept well , where happy with the hotel and the price !

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank battling

Reviewed 8 April 2009

One word for this budget hotel is phenomenal.

For RMB 315 I stayed in a standard non-smoking double room which was comfortable, stylish and with the exception of the fairly loud carpet, understated. This is my type of hotel - you will see from my pictures that the room just looks good and in a industry and shopping focused town, such accomodations at least make your stay a comfortable one. To summarize, this hotel has me looking first for an Express Holiday Inn in future stays in Asia before looking at any other options. This is a budget hotel but it sure doesn't feel like one. Personally, unlike a review several posts down from my fellow Canadian traveller, I don't need a bathrobe nor do I need a minibar or king sized bed. What I need are clean sheets, a bathroom that doesn't make me feel like I want to hurry up and do my business and to feel respected and valued as a customer.

General comments:

Print out the Chinese name of the hotel and bring your room key holder which has a map - some cab drivers especially those that aren't stationed in Luohu don't know where this hotel is because it is in a residential area with little for the Western tourist. I took maybe 4 cab rides to/from the hotel - only 1 cab driver spoke Cantonese and all have limited English ability. Twice the driver had to call someone for help in getting to the hotel.

Lobby and hallways are pristine - understated but neat. Tasteful faux cherry wood panels Staff uniforms are dress casual which fit the personality of the hotel. Internet terminals and couches to lounge in as well as vending machines in the lobby. 1st floor has a laundry room similar to a university dorm - buy tokens to use the drier and washer from the main floor. I believe its the 2nd or 3rd floor on which the Grand Room is located - a trendy place where the complimentary breakfast and lunch and dinner are served. Huge variety in the places you can enjoy your meal - pleather couches, counter top with highly elevated chairs where you can find two internet terminals (there are separate logins for different language configurations- at least 5 or 6), booths and also regular tables. Other interesting fact that is that there is some sort of air freshener that keeps the air smelling fresh - only 1 floor I was on smelled of cigarettes so the hotel's air was generally acceptable.

Room:
See pictures. The only quirk - which also exists at the HK Causeway Bay Location is that one door either shuts the bathroom door and leaves the shower open, or swings the other way to close the shower but leave the washroom open. It's different - but effficient - so when you are using the shower you can still access the toilet/sink. The shower itself is HUGE - there is plenty of room and you don't feel claustrophobic at all. Some of tiny tiles are coming off though and water tends to pool fairly quickly in the shower which is not much more elevated than the floor of the rest of the bathroom so be careful. The safe in the closet is bolted down - a plus - and there are actually two gas masks in case of fire at the bottom of the closet..now that one's new. Bed is very comfortable with 2 soft pillows and 2 "hard" pillows - your choice as to which is more comfortable..I used the hard and slept like a baby. Great mp3 alarm clock on the night table. Internet connection was very good.

Complimentary Breakfast:
I attached a picture of the various options available at the buffet (runs from 6-10 - don't come at 9:30 or you risk food running out like what happened to the traveller):
- Fruit/salad/juice bar: watermelon, lettuce (with thousand island dressing), coffee, tea, grapefruit juice, apple juice, soya milk
- Toast/congee bar - plain or flavoured congee with various toppings - suggest the beans/ground pork and pickled veg, bread also available for toasting
- Pork buns and green onion buns
- Fried noodles, rice with egg, steamed vegetables, scrambled eggs, sausage (tasted more like mini hot dogs), bacon, etc

Sufficient, not anything spectacular - but in the motto of the hotel "nothing more, nothing less"

For 50 canadian dollars - you have nothing to lose. If there was more to do in Shenzhen other than shop I would have staed longer. The same chain is three times the price in HK so it's a serious bargain.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank jason416
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 6 April 2009

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 13 February 2009

Upon our arrival we had a few problems, our online booking service allowed us to select one room for three people and breakfast for all three of us for the three days we would be there. On arrival we were told that we wouldnt be able to fit 3 people in one room and we only had breakfast for 2 people for 3 days seeing as though a third person isnt usually in the one room. There was in my experience, only one lady there who could speak enough english to handle our problems. Instead of 2 breakfasts each day for 3 days, she allowed us 3 breakfasts a day for 2 days (worked out well for us as we had to leave early on the 3rd day anyway). The hotel only has one type of room so there were no options for us to upgrade so we asked to see the room.

The room was very clean and new. It had 1 queen? bed and one fold-out sofa bed. Luckily one of our friends was a bit on the short side and fit well on the sofa bed so there ended up being no issue with the three of us in the one room. We were told that due to the misunderstanding with us being allowed to book 1 room for 3, that we would not be charged for the sofa bed being opened.

I was quite happy with the room overall, comfortable bed, free internet in the room by cable connection if you have a laptop. The bathroom door system was a little strange. If you were taking a shower, you would close the door on the shower compartment but leave the toilet area open to the rest of the room. If you were on the toilet, the shower comparment of the bathroom could not be closed off. The room also had no mini-fridge which we discovered only after having bought a bunch of drinks to put in one.

The breakfast was mediocre, there was nothing there to rave about but it was still adequate. The eating area was nice and there were computers available for use with free internet access while you ate breakfast.

The front desk people were very helpful where they could be.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here and would definately stay again for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adz85
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Great hotel, way above average for holiday inn EXPRESS. Very good service with staff speaking good english. Breakfast is free and large choice but 99% is chinese food. Cabs are so cheap in shenzhen it will be easy to find your way. Make sure to ask the hotel to send you a doc with the address written in chinese so you can show the cab driver. Rooms larger than average with a desk and sofa area. Flat screen TV. would return !

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank kl_le
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Needed a hotel for one night on my way from Hong Kong to mainland China. I travel a fair amount for business in the US and have come to expect a certain standard. I booked this hotel using points and stayed one night with my wife and daughter. My wife is more picky than myself and she was very happy with the hotel. Rooms were new and modern. Everything was nice and clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and fresh (but a lot of Chinese options - which I thought was great).

I was mislead by other web sites and thought I could take a taxi from Hong Kong airport directly to the hotel. This was not an option. We ended up on a bus with a scheduled bus change. This was not part of our trip after a 16 hour flight. However, I can't blame the hotel for this.

If you're picky food wise, there is a McDonalds a half block from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank mrudbeck
Reviewed 1 January 2009

I needed a good value hotel for a shopping weekend in Hong Kong. This hotel is only a 5-10 minutes taxi ride to the Hong Kong border where I took a 45 minute train to Kowloon/Hong Kong. I was on a budget and didn't want to spend the prices for a hotel in Hong Kong. This hotel even worked out better because they had a Priority Club points special of only 5,000 points a night instead of the usual 15,000. Couldn't believe it!

I never had the breakfast so I can't comment. However, the free computers were always available for good Internet surfing. The front desk spoke some English but the doorman did not. So each morning I had to have someone at the front desk tell the doorman I wanted a taxi to the border checkpoint.

Rooms/bathroom are very clean and modern with a nice bed, not wooden hard like many Chinese hotels.

I would easily stay here again. However, it's a new hotel and I made sure to have the address in Chinese for the taxi driver at Shenzhen airport. Even with that he needed to call the hotel. So make sure you have the hotel's phone number handy. Most if not all taxis drivers have cell phones in China.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank bpdogs