“nice hotel, not what”

Ranked #851 of 2,769 Hotels in Shenzhen
sarajevo
“nice hotel, not what”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

A very nice hotel. Excellent choice of food for breakfast. nice air conditioned. The food is very good-taste. We changed hotels every day in China, due to the nature of work. In my honest opinion I would not recommend it. Exudes some wealth. From the fountain in the lobby, to the exterior of the building.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Families
Couples
Solo
Doha
Reviewed 9 September 2012

When I first opened the door to my room, I was totally shocked---4 stars? The decor was 1950's little girl frilly----I thought it was a joke it was so bad. Filthy carpet, socks on the whole time. Bed was horrible-- think it had boards inside and not springs. But box springs were exposed and frayed; obvious dirt under bed. Bathroom lav had 1 inch wide ring of mildew around the top and spots of mildew in the tub and walls. Horrible lighting in bath. Hot water dangerously hard to regulate in shower. I had the breakfast plan; they skimped on hot tea---- keeping several bags tied together on the hot plate so it was terribly bitter---with an hour to go before end of b'fast, never did refill the hot milk carafe...waiters just stood there. Could not eat any of the food, just toast and some fruit. No wifi only broadband in the rooms but no cords. No info about a fitness center--- just read that here. Loud nightclub in front. Took 15 minutes to check out. Elevator carpets never cleaned,,,also filthy.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed 9 April 2008

March 20 to 23, 2008, Shenzhen Hotel Oriental Regent

Shenzhen Oriental Regent Hotel 深圳晶都酒店
Financial Center Building Shennan Middle Road, Shenzhen 518001
Hotel Telephone: 86-755-82247000

For RMB 398 per day, this is budget bargain hotel in the central district of Shenzhen.
It is walking distance, around this large block, to the subway station. Opposite block is the famous large roadside portrait of Tung Shi Ping which I can see from my window. The subway station exits next to the large bookstore. There are major mall, plaza, food courts and food streets, all around this neighborhood.

The hotel is getting old and most facilities are out of repair, but still functional.
The bathroom is stocked with many different types of condoms (you have to paid, RMB 15 to 40.
I am very surprised the air conditioner works well in my room. This is rarity in China.
Also, the cable TV has many channels (70+) CNN & MTV but no HBO or Showtime. Some half deaf idiot set the TV set top box audio minimum for most channels to quite loud. That means, you cannot lower your TV audio to below loud. Yuck.

Hallways are dark and drab. Carpets are stained. Curtains are dull, wrinkled and unfit.
Discolored bath tub and peeling wall paper is showing its age and disrepair.
Several floors, like mine, are non-smoking floor. This is good.

The main lobby shows its age like old grand lady, and the water fountain was drained and showing rusty pipes.

I like the Chinese Restaurant on the third floor. The décor and furnishing are excellent and vibrant. Staffs are smartly dressed. Services are exceptional. Food is not bad at good price.

Free High Speed Internet service. I found the outdoor swimming pool behind locks at the third floor, like most swimming pools in most hotels in China, in April. Hair dryer is in the desk drawer. Room has American style electric sockets.

I think this hotel now carters to the locals, and do not expect English are understood by the staff.

My hotel rating: 2 stars
Yes, I will come back to this hotel again, when budget & location are important.

• Stayed March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampshire, England
Reviewed 4 November 2007

I was booked into this place because there was a missive exhibition on in Shenzhen and all the ‘European’ hotels were fully booked. For me, it was the location that was good, being just around the corner from the stock exchange.

First off, for any other traveler thinking a 3/5 score isn’t bad – let me explain that this hotel is probably the WORST I have ever stayed in. It obviously likes to think of itself as a 4* luxury outfit, but it’s all just so second rate that it actually transcends bad and starts to become good; an example – They didn’t restock the mini-bar after the first night, so I went to reception to find out why. After a 15-minute debate with various members of staff it turned out the reason they hadn’t re-filled the mini-bar was because the room didn’t have one… I assured them that it did and even offered to take them up and show them the fridge in a cabinet under the TV, but no. I didn’t have one. Didn’t stop them from charging me for the drinks I subsequently took from the ‘non-existing’ mini-bar. Another? Well, how weird is it that for 4 nights on the trot, I ate in the restaurant on the 26th floor completely on my own – not another single customer. But the service was still terrible. I took to ordering 3-beers at the same time, because it took so long to get one, that you’d have to order another while they were pouring the first one out. The “bar” on the ground floor doesn’t have any drinks. The waitress takes your order and somebody comes from somewhere else with your drink – when you offer to pay, the person you ordered from can’t take money and the person who delivers them can’t either – that is somebody else’s job! There are blokes out the front dressed like navy admirals who'd lost their boats (I guess they were taxi wranglers, but I never saw them working).

I have *no* idea what the stains were on the carpet in my room. I don’t even know what sort of fluids cause such a range of colours. Equally unknown was exactly how the toilet worked. It often didn’t like even single sheets of tissue. Bed was OK. View was awful. The included breakfast was actually good, with a wide range of cooked and cold. Odd exerience (for us Brits) that people can smoke at the breakfast table though...

Four nights in a "superior" double, dinner x4, breakfast and one totally empty mini-bar = £170.

I am going back to Shenzhen in December and have already requested that I’m in this hotel!

So bad, it’s good.