“About the level of a Day's Inn”

JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #14 of 2,820 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I stayed at the JW in Shenzhen after staying at the China Hotel (also a Marriott’s) the concierge on the Executive Floor reserved that Hotel for me and said it was “Higher than us” meaning a better hotel then the China Hotel which I reviewed as a 5-star and it is.

At the JW I was expecting a lot considering that I have used them before and they are the best Marriott’s has to offer.

First, the check-in, although I was using the Executive floor, I check-in in the lobby. Seemed more convenient them using the 27th floor and returning to the 18th floor. The staff struggled a lot in English, so I ended up completing the check-in in my broken Mandarin.

The room was great and very large, but when I walked in, I was punch in the face by a strong odor of smoke, so I requested another room before I pass out, no joke. But after other trip to the ground floor the front desk said that if I wanted to have breakfast and dinner in the lounge I need to use these rooms because of the key cards. Not true, because you can access all the floors with it.

So, I asked to have the filter changed, the floor desk said “of course, sir” but no one ever came. To add to my misery the Internet in the room didn’t work at all. Again a trip to the front desk and again, we will fix it, but it was not when I left the next morning. Also the TV in the room didn’t work for hours because of the rain. Oh yes, the satellite TV in the hotel can’t take the lightest of rain.

The dinner was ok, but the people were all massively complaining at the staff of removing plates from their tables too far or for not understanding them in English.

In the lounge, I tried to explain the problems to the 27th floor concierge, but again, it was sorry can’t understand and/or of course sir and nothing happened. The only useful piece of information I received was “here I can use my iPhone too connect to the Internet sir, so you can take your laptop here and use it. The lounge is open for 3 more hours”.

A nightmare for a JW, if it was a Days Inn with only one staff, I would understand, but the price would be lower to compensate as well. But at 1750 RMB (260$ USD) a night in China, I was expecting more.

I don’t recommend it. I ended up checking out the next day and finished the trip at the Pavilion Hotel like I normally used in the past. Oh, I contacted Marriott’s to complain, they said I would receive a call or email from the JW Shenzhen to follow up, but I didn’t receive anything yet…

Room Tip: Don't request non-smoking rooms, they don't have any. You can see the non-smoking but they...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen

Reviewed 24 September 2011

I stay at the JW on all my trips to Shenzhen area. It is a very professional, comfortable and impressive hotel. After 2 trips in one month last year the door staff remembered my name. Room are awesome, smell great and as a p
Business owner are totally functional for what need.
I think all the US based Marriots can learn a good lesson from the JW in Shenzhen.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stay this hotel when I need to biz. trip to Shenzhen...
When I trip from HKG Int. Airport , uses Shuttle Rimo service cost 150 HKG$ and no need to touch with my luggage until I arrive the room ....

At the hotel, I always upgraded to Club/concierge level and use of lounge free and Internet also free...
The hotel lounge also nice to provide meal, sweet, drink even alcohol free..
The room is enough for my self as king room ... and bath and toilet are separated...
The stuff member have hospitality enough and speaking English very well...

At second Fl., there are several restaurant and Japanese, Chinese, Buffett style restaurant , all are very good ... I like to stay this hotel because the restaurant and bar as well ..

Return to HKG INT. Airport by shuttle costs 200 RMB and you do not need to touch the luggage as well ... do not use it after 10PM back and forth otherwise you need to walk through imig. by your self with your luggages...

Room Tip: King room is enough for your Biz. travel !!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank hoehoetaro
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Communications Officer at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott Shenzhen and for taking the time to share your kind comments. Satisfaction of our guests is our primary concern and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. We thank you again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I have been with them for a few years now and recently I cashed in my JW reward points for a weekend at the JW in SZ with my partner.

I must say although the complex was a little smaller and crowded than most of the other JWs I stayed at the service and room was WOW WOW WOW. They delievered on their platinum member deal with free upgrade of room, small gift parcel on arrival, and they made sure the staff knew my name on check in ( it was my first time to this JW and before I said anything they knew it was me - I still wonder how they do that)

On entering the room the decor was modern, bed was as usual comfy, shower facilities were good, curtains were good as well, could block out the sunlight entirely, and the view was not bad considering they upgraded my room.

If I had to complain about anything it would probably be the carpark was annoying because the spaces are quite tight.

For me, it's the little things that count and JW deliver this with absolute precision.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This was a good place to be and represents what all we tend to associate with China - opulence, size and splendour.

The room was spacious and spotlessly clean. The staff were certainly very friendly and helpful though a better understanding of English would have helped. This was one hotel where I could get vegetarian food without too much difficulty as compared to other Chinese cities - And to me this is a big positive! Being centrally located added to its attraction.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This JW Marriott is quite recent and I always enjoy staying there. The rooms are really comfortable, the breakfast is incredible. Ultra design lobby. The best in Shenzhen?

Room Tip: ask for the corner rooms, much bigger.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Another great stay at a J.W. Marriott. We have never had an unacceptable stay at a Marriott property. A lovely hotel, elegant sleeping area, luxurious bathroom and wonderful amentities. We ate at the buffet and the whole lobsters were delicious as was everthing else. Some complained there wasn't much to do in the surrounding area. From my experience of living in China off and on for the last four years, the area was typically Chinese. A delightful experience in Shenzhen.

Room Tip: I request a high floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple