“Business hotel with many dining options around”

JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #12 of 2,866 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Stayed here for 1 night from the holiday trip to Hong Kong. Took a taxi after getting out from metro station as hotel was quite difficult to find and it was raining. Hotel was located in between 2 metro stations, Xiangmihu and Chegongmiao, and quite a distance from either station. To get to Xiangmihu from hotel, one just need to walk down a long pedestrian walk outside a country club. On the other hand, the walk to Chegongmiao is a bit shorter, but one will have to walk under the flyover and cross some traffic to get to the station. Nevertheless, i use both stations to go to Dongmen shopping district as well as the return ride to Hong Kong.

Room was very business like with a work desk just beside the bed. I was given a room where there is a pillar near a corner of the room, thus making the whole room look smaller. Bed was high due to the thick mattress, but very comfortable.

There are dining options in the mall behind the hotel, including fast food outlets like MacDonald's and Starbucks. i went further down and turning right based on the concierge directions and found a whole street with Chinese restaurants.

Overall a good hotel, but more for business travellers due to the industrial areas around it.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank eatshopeatshop
Write a ReviewReviews (1,068)

Reviewed 16 May 2010

A new hotel with a group of staff that needs a lot of training. English language skills are quite good but service quality needs improvement.

I specifically asked for a King size room during advance reservation, but when I arrived at the front desk, the staff told me that they are very busy and king size rooms are not available, yet my other two colleagues made a fuss and got their king size rooms. I didnt mind getting a twin-bed room, but asked to be given a room with good view and the staff assured me she's given me one of the best view rooms.

When I went up into my room, the view was terrible, I was stuck in a corner room, could see right into the room adjacent to me. I went down and asked for another room, after much trouble, I finally go the same room (king size) which I stayed at my previous stay.

The set up of the rooms are quite awkward, with odd edges around the room but overall it is very comfortable.

Hotel buffet breakfast serves a good selection of fruits and western style cereal, and breads. The hot buffet serves standard items and the quality is good.

It is very much a business hotel, does not feel friendly at all.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2010

This hotel stays in your mind as one that provides an all round service from the minute you step out of your Taxi you are greeted with a smile and taken towards the reception.
The reception process is quick and again you are treated very well.
The rooms are fantastic with LCD tv's in thye main room and also in some of the bathrooms.
Internet access is free and the office set-up includes a unique multi-media set-up that allows for laptop to LCD screen visual monitor service.
The Breakfast is superb especially if it is combined in your room rate.
I have to say I hate having to leave this hotel as I would love to live in this full time because the rooms are so inviting.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Stayed there for just a weekend break without much expectation as I just want to relax. It wasn't disappointing. This is my second time staying in this hotel, staff is helpful and friendly and they look very energetic too. This time I back to normal guest room (previous one was on the Executive Floor), but in fact the room layout is more or less the same and I was happy with it except there is no access to the Executive Lounge. Like the bathtub so much! It's the main attraction that i return. Bed is so comfy and one could sleep easily even when s/he is easy to be sleepless.

From what i observed, It's a very nice business hotel with lots of business service support. For business or leisure, i would recommend this to friends and business associates definitely.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank YvonneCheng
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Hotel is a bit far from where city center is (we are talking about 10mins taxi ride 2 dollar or so), but is very close to airport freeway entrance which can almost be considered as a plus, especially during traffice hour.
What makes this hotel stand out is their service. I called that REAL SERVICE- At front entrance, a taxido like dressed girl (door girl/man?) already on stand by, greet us with a BIG smile; the girl who checked us in, walked out of her counter, sent up personally to elevator, she even got inside the elevator and pressed the button! our bellman was not so great with his english, but man, his attitude was SO sincere, he managed to tell us where and how things work in the room. I have asked for an extra astray, the girl showed up with also a book of matches as well, another score there. I am not sure how this hotel did their training, but all the maids i met in hallway, stopped and greet me... for my 5 days stay, I was overwhelmed by smile, smile, smile. I was very impressed by the staff attitude, everyone was passionate about their job. rooms layout were nice, Ipod dock combined radio was useful, Laptop connected TV screen was easy to operate... Oh, btw their internet is free, great value for the money paid here. Will definitely stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 December 2009

Location is not superb, but in Shenzhen you will catch a taxi everywhere so it doesn't matter too much. We paid approx 190 USD per night for an Executive room, whilst the separate toilet was in a separate 1x1m "room" with a very dim light (creepy-dim, not romantic-dim), the bathroom was nice. Views of shenzhen from the room was not impressive, as the city looks dirty and polluted.

Unfortunately taxi drivers have NO IDEA where this hotel is so you'll have to make sure you carry a small map with the name with you. One of ours dropped us off a 15 minute walk away and we had to walk in humid 35 degree heat back to the hotel because the city has a lack of cabs too. Other taxi drivers were very confused, they have limited English ability so you need to be precise. We memorised the surrounding buildings just in case.

Executive room allowed access to the lounge, which provided a free afternoon meal and access to the internet. The staff can mix drinks for you and the food is quite delicious - in fact it almost sufficed as dinner so our meal at night was much smaller!

The most impressive thing about the hotel which stayed in my memory is the staff. It was raining VERY hard and no taxi's were available, which is common. Two hotel staff actually went OUT, in the thundering rain, to the main road in the pouring rain located about 30m from the hotel entrance to flag down passing taxi's!!! We waited only another 15 minutes before concierge advised us our taxi was here. They did it for similar guests looking to go out. Our taxi passed the hotel staff on the way out - the poor guys only had on a clear thin raincoat and their shoes were soaked!

By international standards, the rate for which we paid was a bargain for the quality of service we received. English was not usually a problem. The only eerie thing was that there were not very many guests at this hotel, saw only about 3-4 other rooms being occupied. The staff to guest ratio was entirely outnumbered.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I have never written a review before, but I was so impressed that when I saw this site I just had too.

I stayed at the hotel for 5 days, food was great, service was great, staff friendly and the rooms were modern and roomy. I had a number of my suppliers that came to pick me up or have dinner with me at the hotel and they all commented on how nice it was. I was very good value and for me breakfast was included (which was great and caters for all).

I enjoy swimming and it has a fantastic pool on the 4th floor with great sun loungers around it.

It is a very good base in Shenzhen!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business