“Always again!”

Ranked #2 of 2,767 Hotels in Shenzhen
Hong Kong, China
“Always again!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It´s not the first time for me to stay in this hotel and it won´t be the last time. I´m travelling quite often in China so I saw many good and bad hotels but the service and the high quality standart that Ritz Carlton provides is always amazing and within the best you can get! If you have the chance to stay there, treat yourself well and you won´t regret it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week recently.The location, right opposite the Convention and Exhibition Centre is excellent, the rooms and facilities are modern and clean and the staff are generally helpful. I stayed on the Club Lounge level and I enjoyed the Club Lounge Services.

I had an unpleasant experience on checkout which I reported to Management and to their credit they did their best to remedy things for me. This incident was caused by an poorly trained staff member in the Club Lounge with inadequate English skills. I have stayed in many hotels throughout China and I found the standard of English of some staff in service areas in this particular hotel was disappointing. I don't expect everyone to speak English but I do expect that staff in a high service area in a Western brand hotel should be able to communicate with me.

The other thing I found surprising was the lack of sensitivity to the local (Cantonese) culture. There are very few Cantonese speakers employed at this hotel, even though the hotel is located in the Pearl River Delta right next to Hong Kong. Although Shenzhen is an artificial city populated by migrants from all over China, the establishment and business people in the manufacturing and business districts from Shenzhen north to Guangzhou (the people often visited by Western businessmen) prefer to speak Cantonese, as do visitors from Hong Kong. Cantonese is spoken In shops and service areas throughout Shenzhen, even the announcements on the local metro. But this hotel employs almost exclusively Mandarin speakers with little knowledge of Cantonese culture and fairly poor English, so a Cantonese speaker from HK would have to struggle with English to try and deal with them. Most Western visitors probably wouldn't know the significance of this, but pride in Cantonese culture, high standards of behaviour and knowledge of local customs are important to local people in Guangdong province and HK people and they are completely overlooked by this hotel. I have suggested to the hotel management (who are non-Chinese and presumably ignorant of these cultural issues) that they look at this question if they want to increase their attractiveness to HK and overseas Chinese visitors.

Overall my experience was good and I was happy with management's prompt response to my problems on checking out, nevertheless I feel that this issues I referred to above need looking at.

Room Tip: If you are prepared to pay the extra, the Club Lounge is a good deal.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank See-Tai-Fan
Jane Z, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Shenzhen, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear See-Tai-Fan,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. Our ladies and gentlemen at all times strive to provide service excellence that exceeds expectations and your feedback is very encouraging for us.
I am delighted to know that your overall stay was pleasant with the exception of the delay at check-out. However, I am glad to hear that you were pleased with our response in turning things around.
We will certainly review your comments with the team to ensure improvements are made.
In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sincerely yours,

Raghu Menon
Israel
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed for 4 nights during March 2014 for business trip in Shenzhen.
The hotel location is nice, near an expensive shopping mall with restaurants.
The room was huge, superb bathroom and shower.
The in room internet connection was fast and reliable.
I tried to room service for some dinner and find it good.

Overall: Very good choice for business travels and tourists.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jackmate
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

i am going to review the mall in Shenzhen, Coastal City. This place includes many types of restaurants like Chinese food, Korean food, Japanese food and Western food. There are also many entertainment like karaoke, ice rink and arcades. However, even though this is a huge mall, it can be a negative thing because you might get lost and theres so many people so you have to wait when you go into restaurants. The positive things of this mall is that it includes almost everything family and friends need to enjoy themselves. Adults and young adults would enjoy this place since it has great entertainment. However, young children might not enjoy this place as much because its tiring to walk around the big mall. In conclusion, coastal city is a great place to hang out on a weekend with your family and friends.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Really outstanding experience from the beginning to the end, and everything in between.

I arrived late morning and as I walked up to the reception desk where I was immediately intercepted where a smiling woman told me since there were two people in line at each station for checking in, she invited me up to the club level to check in there "if I wouldn't mind."

The experience there was just great, no only no wait, but a very comfortable chair and an immediate offer of a drink of my choice (just had water). They also apologized that my room wasn't ready yet (I wouldn't have expected it should be that early), but I was welcomed to hang out at the club level (great views, comfortable couches, food, and drink)...

I'll stop describing now, as this review would get very very long. My 6 night stay literally would mirror this level of service and thoughtfulness throughout my stay. Was it perfect? Not quite, 95%+ of the time it really was close, and they did try at all times.

From remembering your name, preferences, at almost every level, to trying to surprise/delight whenever they could find a way, just really wonderful all around...

Just outstanding on so many levels and a true immersive experience indeed. I can't recommend highly enough!

Room Tip: Though I didn't have it beyond my arrival, the Club level is probably worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
United States
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

It is not easy to find a good hotel in China, service wise; but Shenzhen Ritz is different. Its facility may not be the best (intercon or even jw can be better) but its service is top notch. You can feel the staffs want to go beyond the standard procedure to help every customer; unlike in other "so-called luxury" hotels, the staffs just perform whatever is written in their employee handbook and no further.
It is definitely the no. 1 choice next I go visit Shenzhen. Btw, the breakfast buffet is great too!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steven Y
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The hotel is in a very good location and the rooms are good size, bright, and very comfortable, but it's the staff (every department in the entire place) that will keep you coming back. I've stayed about 10 different times, and you never have to ask twice for anything.
The biggest problem is this level of service raises the bar so high it will ruin you from staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: I like the room very cool, so the staff will adjust my thermostat manually to bring the temp down.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business