“Good hotel, but compared to what?”

The Ritz-Carlton, Shenzhen
Ranked #2 of 2,829 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 23 November 2010

The other reviews of this hotel seem to be glowing, but on my recent stay, I wonder, by comparison to what? Compared to other hotel experiences in China? Yes, it's excellent by comparison to an average stay at a hotel in China. By comparison to say another Ritz-Carlton hotel stay, it's fairly average. I was surprised to find it is less than a year old. The color palette is very dated, to say the least, and the place has quite a lived in feel.

At check in at 2 pm, we were first told there were no rooms available. Upon insistence there were, but we found we were given a handicapped room. Once we found this out and refused the room, we were "upgraded". This whole process took half an hour.

The best thing about the rooms hands down was a prominent and useful universal plug socket located right on the bedside tabletop - one on each side - so that two people could charge a mobile overnight. Brilliant. Glorious. Every hotel on earth should have this.

The selection of beers in the bar is very limited and esoteric - only one local brand and 2 or 3 imports that no one drinks. Seems like they were trying to be too clever. A Cosmopolitan ordered had no cranberry juice and was the wrong color. (It was still US$13 though.)

At checkout they attempted to charge me 50% more for a half bottle of wine from the minibar than the price listed in the room. Caught that.

This is a US$300 hotel room. For the price I would say you can do better elsewhere, although maybe not in Shenzhen.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 November 2010

My wife and I stayed for one night at the Ritz after a day's tour of Shenzhen. In all the 5 stars hotels I have stayed at in China, you get the feeling that they are trying hard and learning fast but are not quite there yet. The Ritz Shenzhen put an end to that feeling. The hardware is impeccable as you would expect for any new hotel in urban China run by the Ritz. I checked around the room and did not find any small faults which are common among even 5 starts hotels in China, such as a broken hinge in a cabinet door. The most amazing thing is the level of service which is sincere and at par with any top hotels I have stayed at. I was standing in line for about 5 minutes during my checkout and no less than 3 staffs apologized to me. One of them grabbed the small bag of souvenir we bought and took it to the taxi (as we did not have any luggage) as her way of making our exit easier. As we walked past the coffee shop after dinner at the Italian restaurant, the coffee shop staffs thanked us and wished us good night. Even the waitress at the coffee shop who served us breakfast reminded us to put down our room number (included in the room rate) in the nicest way possible. I must take my hat off to whoever is the training manager at the Shenzhen Ritz.

The food at the Paletto was a bit bland but at prices that is 50% less than Hong Kong's it's OK. The other small issue was the traffic noise from the throughout fare around
the hotel was considerable. I was woken up by it at 8am on Saturday even though we were on the 20th floor but this is not really the fault of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KCKCJY
Reviewed 3 November 2010

This was a great place all round. I stayed for 2 days and loved it. It had a great selection of mini-bar options and not the usual tiny little bottles. I dont drink, but i was impressed! Great chocolate stix other than the usual common bars of chocolate. The staff were great. The room was great - though the cabinet in the middle of the room with the 2 LCD's was a bit odd! I loved watching TV in the bath - and boy what a lovely spacious spa-type bath. Great views of the city, great bed, great food all round and great service.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Best service and employee attitudes of any hotel I have ever stayed in.
Great comfortable rooms
Perfect CLUB floor
Kudos to the management of this place for getting it right

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We stayed at this hotel 4 times in the past 12 months. It's only 1.5 hrs away from Hong Kong and easily reached by train and underground. The hotel is new (opened in 2009 I think) and the decor is awesome. Rooms very clean and spacious, modern with iPod dock, ceiling to floor window, very quiet air-con, free internet, comfortable beds etc. What else can we ask for.... The Chinese restaurant is good, but a bit pricy for dinner. There are plenty of choices in the mall next door. We stayed at both regular rooms and executive floors, and reckon there's not much of a difference other than the lounge access (no surprise). Therefore regular rooms are good enough. Gym is good and equipments are all well maintained and brand-new. The breakfast is not bad by western standard, but I reckon the Shangri-la across the street offers more selection. All in all a very nice hotel. We stayed at Shangri-la Futian before as well. Comparing the two, I will definitely go for Ritz.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Summer_Traveller_hk
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Can't say enough about my stay at the Ritz. A very small tip to the bellman and he took care of me the entire trip. I came back from a long walk after dinner and was very hot, but the pool was closed. He not only opened the pool for me, he went and found towels and adult beverages as per my request. Additionally, I wanted to take a client to dinner and neither of us speak Mandarin. I asked the concierge for a recommendation. Not only did she make a great recommendation, she accompanied us to the restaurant and translated the entire menu and ordered for us. All that, and she refused a tip. I'll be back to the Ritz for sure.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Can watch TV while your are in bath.
Have two famous and cheap "drink tea" places around this hotel.
fast room service.